Certified at MHT

What is wrong with 24? You land and get off you are right at the terminal? Taxiing out is a pain (don't get me started), but oh well, I can fan all departures at least and can get good sunrise pics from the catwalk :D. 6 is the "calm wind" runway, I think we should use more 35.

I don't know anything about a lineup, we don't have those here. Falcons are only faster on departure and cruise, and if there is a prop involved I can fan you anyway and just need 6000ft. I don't set the sequence, approach does, but those props can keep their speed up a lot closer in.

The 35 crown is immediately after the touchdown zone, it’s like landing into a speed bump. The elevated extension creates a ton of mechanical turbulence coming over the north hangers. It’s right traffic but over very sparsely populated areas so no good visual reference until lined up at night. Unless you’re coming from Portland it means you have to fly past the airport to land, and, time is money.

We don’t go to the terminal, take 6 any day over 24. The power plant off to the left of final on 35 means that you will get a good bump at 400 feet when the winds are light from 310 to about 220 - consistently. Abeam stony field yogurt, however it’s a downslope so typically a smoother landing.

If they can keep their speed up, then why are we always getting slowed down for them? Keep in mind they cruise at our approach speed lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The 35 crown is immediately after the touchdown zone, it’s like landing into a speed bump. The elevated extension creates a ton of mechanical turbulence coming over the north hangers. It’s right traffic but over very sparsely populated areas so no good visual reference until lined up at night. Unless you’re coming from Portland it means you have to fly past the airport to land, and, time is money.

We don’t go to the terminal, take 6 any day over 24. The power plant off to the left of final on 35 means that you will get a good bump at 400 feet when the winds are light from 310 to about 220 - consistently. Abeam stony field yogurt, however it’s a downslope so typically a smoother landing.

If they can keep their speed up, then why are we always getting slowed down for them? Keep in mind they cruise at our approach speed lol.

Forgive the possibility of outdated information -- Doesn't MHT's Runway 6 approach(...es) just get to be a headache over BED/BOS/ASH? It was usually a "be mindful of light GA" approach back when DWC was open, so that's probably old news; but, I had thought 6 was added stress depending upon surrounding field flow.

Forgive the possibility of outdated information -- Doesn't MHT's Runway 6 approach(...es) just get to be a headache over BED/BOS/ASH? It was usually a "be mindful of light GA" approach back when DWC was open, so that's probably old news; but, I had thought 6 was added stress depending upon surrounding field flow.

The straight out from ASH points at final for 6 yes… but ASH is a shell of what it used to be. 35 arrival takes you straight over ASH now. The arrival for 6 takes you in from a north intercept.

The arrival into MHT starts over ALB and flows towards the actual city before branching for the appropriate runway so you stay pretty separated from light GA.

To be perfectly honest the “no passing in the sky” stuff is frustrating. Coming from ROC to MHT we’ll be assigned like 290kts all the way to follow Envoy who can’t seem to break 300kts in the 170. Our long range cruise speed is faster than 290 at Fl 290. Typically we’d be indicating 350+. Not sure why they can’t just let us go first lol.

I just feel personally that in calm wind the longest runway available should be the one in use, but the rich people living around the airport prefer 6

I just feel personally that in calm wind the longest runway available should be the one in use, but the rich people living around the airport prefer 6

For departure- 35@F, landing 6 is my preference to be honest. I’d take 6 with a light tailwind over 24 any and every day of the week, and if not available we’ll take 17 with a 30kt crosswind before 24 lol.

You’ll notice nearly every “local” based operator /plane will ask for 17 if 24 is in use.

24 is a great place to give the airline guys a full approach while the rest of us keep the speed up for 17 :)

For departure- 35@F, landing 6 is my preference to be honest. I’d take 6 with a light tailwind over 24 any and every day of the week, and if not available we’ll take 17 with a 30kt crosswind before 24 lol.

You’ll notice nearly every “local” based operator /plane will ask for 17 if 24 is in use.

24 is a great place to give the airline guys a full approach while the rest of us keep the speed up for 17 :)

We aren't that busy, you can always request whatever you want, including opposite direction, it is just subject to conforming traffic, which is mostly light. Some grumps might deny you but most of the people on my side of the schedule will not. 17 is a PITA taxi out even when everything is open, but H, now K north of 6/24 was closed most of July into August and that really made it a hassle for full length.

We aren't that busy, you can always request whatever you want, including opposite direction, it is just subject to conforming traffic, which is mostly light. Some grumps might deny you but most of the people on my side of the schedule will not. 17 is a PITA taxi out even when everything is open, but H, now K north of 6/24 was closed most of July into August and that really made it a hassle for full length.

Taxing out for 17 does kinda suck- we’d always just do 17/B rather than hotel short L lol.

We’ve been based at MHT for 11 years now, on the 3rd plane- and we’re happy I know I joke about Wiggins but in reality you all are more accommodating to us than nearly anywhere else. We used to come back from ROC every Thursday at 6pm enough so that we always knew everybody. When we got the new plane every single sector was like “Did you guys get a new plane” lol.

At the end of the Day I’ve never seen the airport closed for snow or bad weather and it’s been about as reliable as you can ask for. Periodically we have to do landing currency in the plane. More than happy to take people up if you ever start to get to do ride alongside again.

Taxing out for 17 does kinda suck- we’d always just do 17/B rather than hotel short L lol.

We’ve been based at MHT for 11 years now, on the 3rd plane- and we’re happy I know I joke about Wiggins but in reality you all are more accommodating to us than nearly anywhere else. We used to come back from ROC every Thursday at 6pm enough so that we always knew everybody. When we got the new plane every single sector was like “Did you guys get a new plane” lol.

At the end of the Day I’ve never seen the airport closed for snow or bad weather and it’s been about as reliable as you can ask for. Periodically we have to do landing currency in the plane. More than happy to take people up if you ever start to get to do ride alongside again.

That ride along is on you, not us. We are doing tours. Did I talk to you today?

That ride along is on you, not us. We are doing tours. Did I talk to you today?

I’ll ping the next time we go up for landing currency. We get busier in the fall, though so not likely until March or so before the plane goes in for its 12 mo.

We’ve not flown for a few days- next trip won’t be until Thursday or so. It’s a 2000, 579 based with signature.

The Keller airplanes have some history :). We don’t lol we like to get into the ramp, toss the keys to the ram pies and run home as fast as we can. Was good to meet you on the radio! If you have NH questions feel free to ask!

I assumed that was the case :bounce: They had it in the hangar on pretty short order too. I had just gotten on ground and you were already on approach. I was briefed landing on 6 even though 35 was the advertised active. Looked up and saw the type aircraft and figured it was you :biggrin:

The noise on 35 has been an issue for many years. I grew up in Litchfield, and I was on the left base path to a 5 mile final to 35. They used to make everyone turn a 5 mile final to keep the noise down for the people that lived just southwest of the airport. I loved it, used to have it timed out perfectly to run outside and catch the UAL 727 or USAir DC-9 flying overhead. When departing 17, they would have people turn right northwestbound on departure, and sometimes I would be able to see the departure over the trees, but not often.

I would love for my airline to start mainline service in there again, on my fleet. It would be such a full circle experience.

The noise on 35 has been an issue for many years. I grew up in Litchfield, and I was on the left base path to a 5 mile final to 35. They used to make everyone turn a 5 mile final to keep the noise down for the people that lived just southwest of the airport. I loved it, used to have it timed out perfectly to run outside and catch the UAL 727 or USAir DC-9 flying overhead. When departing 17, they would have people turn right northwestbound on departure, and sometimes I would be able to see the departure over the trees, but not often.

I would love for my airline to start mainline service in there again, on my fleet. It would be such a full circle experience.
I'd love more mainline service from any major. I don't want to have to connect 300+miles out of my way to get home to PIT

I'd love more mainline service from any major. I don't want to have to connect 300+miles out of my way to get home to PIT

I'm 20-25 min from MHT, and I drive to BOS for my commute. There is just not enough frequency/reliability out of MHT right now.

Back