Car at UND?

T mobile here too. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Some places (aka airport) you get really bad reception but I think it had to do with my crappy old phone. I got a new one now so we'll see. All in all I'm probably gonna stay with T mobile - had them since 98', and they have great service.

Yea my phone is pretty beat ( thrown, stomped, kicked, sumbergged in water)so it might be that. I used to have Nextel before that which worked great.

I was able to get a 3G (EVDO) connection with my Sprint HTC Mogul in quite a bit of GF. Sprint's voice quality leaves a bit to be desired, but their data network is awesome.

Well with so many transportation services UND has is it worth bringing a car to und? :confused:

A car is not necessary, but it would make life a whole lot better for you. You would save a lot of time not waiting on buses and shuttles if you had a car. A lot of people may tell you to bum rides, but I never liked the idea... I tried to be more independant and not inconvenience anyone else.

I stuck it out for two years (I transferred in as a junior and lived on-campus). I used the UND on-campus shuttle buses, the airport shuttle, and the Grand Forks City bus (which is FREE for UND students - just stop by the student government office at the Memorial Union to pick up a free CAT Prowler pass).

The city bus is nothing spectacular... it leaves much to be desired, actually... but I made it work whenever I could use it. The bus does rounds in either an hour or half-hour depending on the route but it will get you to Wal-Mart, Target, the Columbia Mall, etc. if you plan your trip right.

Another thing UND offers is the Cab Crawler card - $1/person taxi rides between UND and a business establishment during evenings (something like 5:00 pm - 2:30 am... I don't remember exactly). You can pick this card up at the student gov't office as well. Some of my friends and I made runs to Wal-Mart and Target using the dollar taxi and it worked out great.

As for the aviation shuttle, it was working out great until they changed the damned route. I'm no longer at UND, but the route was trimmed during the last month and a half I was there. Some people who lived near the far end of campus got hosed when the shuttle stopped going down to the Union. For what its worth, I even flight instructed at UND part-time and rode the shuttle 95% of the time. Also as gas started getting more expensive, some people opted to leave their cars on campus and ride the shuttle out to the airport.

I think the experience made me a whole lot more patient :D

As for the aviation shuttle, it was working out great until they changed the damned route. I'm no longer at UND, but the route was trimmed during the last month and a half I was there. Some people who lived near the far end of campus got hosed when the shuttle stopped going down to the Union. For what its worth, I even flight instructed at UND part-time and rode the shuttle 95% of the time. Also as gas started getting more expensive, some people opted to leave their cars on campus and ride the shuttle out to the airport.

Man, when they did this I was really ticked off. Is it true they also don't stop at University and 6th anymore where a lot of the people from those apartments on 43rd St used to wait for the shuttle??

The shuttle does not cater to anyone living in the dorms anymore. I think they should still have the Wilkerson and Union stop. When some of us asked UND about it they said well we are saving $$$ on fuel by changing the route. Well does this mean they are going to lower my $tution$ with all the $money$ they are saving on fuel? NO!!!!

I hope they change it back when school starts back up in August or else I'm gonna have to start calling to complain and have my friends do the same.

I hope they change it back when school starts back up in August or else I'm gonna have to start calling to complain and have my friends do the same.
I spoke to the veteran driver, Drago (sp?), the other day when I had to ride the shuttle 'cause my car was down for a day, and he said he thinks it's a permanent change in route.

Does anyone know if the Shuttle will still stop for people waiting on 42nd St and 6th Ave, just after the light where the lane ends. I know it used to stop if someone was waiting there.

Alright looks like I will bring my car up there from Jersey, so now I need to buy a permit I just have a quick question is worth buying a ramp parking permit for $175? I don't even know if I gonna use the ramp and how many ramps UND have? Also is there an inside or outside parking for people who live in dorms?

Alright looks like I will bring my car up there from Jersey, so now I need to buy a permit I just have a quick question is worth buying a ramp parking permit for $175? I don't even know if I gonna use the ramp and how many ramps UND have? Also is there an inside or outside parking for people who live in dorms?

Don't buy the ramp permit. Just buy the 60ish dollar permit. You will need it to park in your respective dorm's parking lot.

Parking is NEVER a problem in the normal parking lots. Just by the cheapo parking permit for the lot(s) that are closest to your dorm. Or just get the general "brown" pass. Even with one of these passes, you can swipe it and park in the parking garage on the upper levels -- if it's not full (and it never is)

Parking is NEVER a problem in the normal parking lots. Just by the cheapo parking permit for the lot(s) that are closest to your dorm. Or just get the general "brown" pass. Even with one of these passes, you can swipe it and park in the parking garage on the upper levels -- if it's not full (and it never is)

Even though the parking lot is never actually full where every space is filled for some reason they set a "virtual" limit on the parking garage so if you just have a Brown or Green pass it will still not let you in even though there is more than 50 spots left!

There have been times where the pass would not let me in to the parking garage due to the virtual limit. Normally happens during the weekdays 9am to 11am. If this happens what I do is sit at the gate and as soon as someone leaving swipes there pass I swipe mine and it lets me in. But since there are two gates sometimes its a game between you and the person at the other gate between whoever can get the right timing to swipe the pass as soon as the other car leaves gets in. Then once you get in the whole top level is empty and your late for class. It really pisses me off.

I spoke to the veteran driver, Drago (sp?), the other day when I had to ride the shuttle 'cause my car was down for a day, and he said he thinks it's a permanent change in route.

From what I understand, Leo is solely responsible for the changes in the aviation van route. It seems to be optimized now for contract students, not undergrads.

Some van drivers will drop you off at your preferred location if it's not busy (evenings/weekends) if you ask them nicely. They do so at their own risk, because certain airport personnel have been instructed to "monitor the aviation shuttle" to make sure it adheres to it's published route. (i.e. they tattle to Leo, who in turn complains to the transportation manager)

Well with so many transportation services UND has is it worth bringing a car to und? :confused:

My experience is that if people come up here without a car, they can survive and manage just fine.

On the other hand if you have always had a car up here and you have to go without for some reason (a breakdown, etc.) you will be frustrated - especially during the cold months. This is also compounded if you live off campus.

speaking of cars, i totally did an awesome roadside repair today after my exhaust hanger cut loose (its a bmw, yet the exhaust is held up by a rubber band? WTF).... a wire coathanger and some pliers.... good as new!

Last week someone took the 2 rear wheel center-caps off my 01 Cougar. I tried going to the junk yard to see if they had any, but there weren't. I bought 2 from the Ford dealer and they were $32 each.....I looked at the internet but there were none on Ebay and other sites were full price.

Only problem I've had up here with cars.

Last week someone took the 2 rear wheel center-caps off my 01 Cougar. I tried going to the junk yard to see if they had any, but there weren't. I bought 2 from the Ford dealer and they were $32 each.....I looked at the internet but there were none on Ebay and other sites were full price.

Only problem I've had up here with cars.

vandalism is a chronic problem here, and i would assert it may have a correlation to the cultural drinking problem that also exists here.

speaking of cars, i totally did an awesome roadside repair today after my exhaust hanger cut loose (its a bmw, yet the exhaust is held up by a rubber band? WTF).... a wire coathanger and some pliers.... good as new!
you will want to get a new rubber hanger, the coat hanger will act like a rigid mount and then your knock sensors will detect false knock and you will lose overall performance.

you will want to get a new rubber hanger, the coat hanger will act like a rigid mount and then your knock sensors will detect false knock and you will lose overall performance.

well right, i already have a $5 part on the way. but this will hold it til it gets here. im not THAT ghetto ;-)

tugrul on the other hand, may have been satisfied with a coathanger solution ;-)

Back