Car at UND?

Worth it? Yes. Necessary? No. If you can afford it and want the added convenience, bring it up. If not, you'll still be able to get around.

bring it. otherwise be prepared to live in a cave/dorm for 9 months of the year when it is too cold to go outside.

I went out all the time, and I never had a car. Make some good friends, and chip in for gas, you should be fine. If you are able, bring a car.

Well with so many transportation services UND has is it worth bringing a car to und? :confused:

What?? :x

The UND buses don't go anyplace that you can't walk to (except maybe during the coldest days of winter).

And from my experiences, the GF city buses are a rather painful (and only to be used when absolutely necessary) way to get around the city. Although it is kind of amusing to "observe" the standard GF residents interacting amongst themselves on the bus (as well as outrightly displaying the reasons they don't own a car).

So either bring a car or make really good friends with people who have cars and drive them to more places than just Target. It'll help save your sanity especially when the dorms start to feel like a prison around January - March.

What?? :x

The UND buses don't go anyplace that you can't walk to (except maybe during the coldest days of winter).

And from my experiences, the GF city buses are a rather painful (and only to be used when absolutely necessary) way to get around the city. Although it is kind of amusing to "observe" the standard GF residents interacting amongst themselves on the bus (as well as outrightly displaying the reasons they don't own a car).

So either bring a car or make really good friends with people who have cars and drive them to more places than just Target. It'll help save your sanity especially when the dorms start to feel like a prison around January - March.

lol I meant to say UND have to offer

If you live on-campus in the dorms and have a meal plan you probably won't need a car if you can make good friends to drive you to Wal-Mart every once-in-a while. If you don't have a car you can probably plan on not getting to know the town very well and there will be a couple of weeks at a time when you will not leave the campus. There are also no eating establishments on or near campus so you must plan on eating at the dining center a lot, which can really suck sometimes.

I've always had a car and don't know what I would do with out it as far as going to work. If you plan on working off-campus (the pay for on-campus jobs really lacks at UND) while you are attending UND I recommend a car or it will limit your options because there is not too many places to work at off campus within walking distance during the winter.

Well with so many transportation services UND has is it worth bringing a car to und? :confused:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say it's not needed. As much as we love our cars today and having the freedom to go to the Red Pepper at 2am or a random trip to Wal-Mart because you ran out of laundry detergent, you still can get around without much hassle.

For the three years I was at UND I never had a car. I managed to use the campus bus and airport shuttle service for school stuff. And I had a good group of friends in the dorms that took me where I needed to go for that random stuff like club meetings, softball/volleyball games, and even a party or two. Sometimes they would just give me the keys to their cars so I could go where I needed to go. If you plan it right when they go to Wal-Mart or Target or where ever you can definately make it work.

btw what cellphone providers you guys have? The reason I am asking is because I have Cingular and they use a partner network there and if you overuse it your contract gets canceled.

btw what cellphone providers you guys have? The reason I am asking is because I have Cingular and they use a partner network there and if you overuse it your contract gets canceled.

I can't help you out with Cingular at all....but I have had both Verizon and Alltel and they both worked great around the area.

I used to have Alltel, worked well inside most buildings, I even got service sometimes down in the Union Basement! However the family made the switch to Cingular. I now do not get service on or east of Washington St, this includes all of East Grand Forks. Also I get bad recep and very spotty inside at the airport. I don't get any service in the airport parking lot, only get it back when i get down to Airport Rd and Highway 2. The service is very poor/none in a lot of buildings. My friend also has Cingular and he works in East Grand Forks and we go downtown alot, he also does not get service east of Washington so I know it's just not my phone. Lucky for him his contract is up in August and he plans to make the switch to Verizon.

My contract has not been canceled yet but I know my roommates got canceled so he went to Verizon. I actually hope it does get canceled so I can go back to Alltel or try out Verizon.

I have t mobile:banghead: I have the most spotty service. I dont htink I have ever had soi many dropped calls with any other carrier as I have had with t-mobile.

I used to have Alltel, worked well inside most buildings, I even got service sometimes down in the Union Basement! However the family made the switch to Cingular. I now do not get service on or east of Washington St, this includes all of East Grand Forks. Also I get bad recep and very spotty inside at the airport. I don't get any service in the airport parking lot, only get it back when i get down to Airport Rd and Highway 2. The service is very poor/none in a lot of buildings. My friend also has Cingular and he works in East Grand Forks and we go downtown alot, he also does not get service east of Washington so I know it's just not my phone. Lucky for him his contract is up in August and he plans to make the switch to Verizon.

My contract has not been canceled yet but I know my roommates got canceled so he went to Verizon. I actually hope it does get canceled so I can go back to Alltel or try out Verizon.

yeah its a pain in the ass when I used ATT there I get like 0 Bars in that place. lol att commercial .. anyways yeah my contract is up probably gonna switch to Verizon, however I wanted a GSM provider so I can get a GSM phone because I am a phone maniac I have the sony Ericsson guess its going up on ebay soon :p

guys, anyone with a GSM phone (ATT, Cing, Tmob) is gonna get sucky service here. its NOT the "brand" carriers fault... its mom and pop crap like altel because they are the only ones with GSM towers here (att/cing/tmob pay fees to use THEIR towers, hence why you may get cancelled anyway)....

also if you have a GSM phone dont expect to do any internet browsing, MMS, ANYTHING other than talk and basic text messages.

i really enjoyed my GSM phones back in texas/big markets, but unfortunately the only way to go here is CDMA.

I have t mobile:banghead: I have the most spotty service. I dont htink I have ever had soi many dropped calls with any other carrier as I have had with t-mobile.

T mobile here too. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Some places (aka airport) you get really bad reception but I think it had to do with my crappy old phone. I got a new one now so we'll see. All in all I'm probably gonna stay with T mobile - had them since 98', and they have great service.

guys, anyone with a GSM phone (ATT, Cing, Tmob) is gonna get sucky service here. its NOT the "brand" carriers fault... its mom and pop crap like altel because they are the only ones with GSM towers here (att/cing/tmob pay fees to use THEIR towers, hence why you may get cancelled anyway)....

also if you have a GSM phone dont expect to do any internet browsing, MMS, ANYTHING other than talk and basic text messages.

i really enjoyed my GSM phones back in texas/big markets, but unfortunately the only way to go here is CDMA.

:banghead: Guess I will use as much as I can now lol I have 3G here I know Grand Forks is far from getting 3G speed, if they ever will :rolleyes:

Back