Cape Air is hiring again

I heard they got ridd of their sim, has anyone heard that?

I interviewed their a couple weeks ago. It was a one on one with Gene Smith (Pilot Recruiter), then a one on one with the CP, no technical questions, but questions about Captain Stuff (what do you think makes a good captain etc...), and no sim. Hope this helps.

Let me try to clear up some things for you guys,

Positions available: 402 Captain, 402 FO, ATR FO in Guam.

Simple stuff first. 121 operation in Guam. If no one on the 402 side wants to move to the pacific they open hiring to the outside for FOs in Guam. Requirements change, look at their website for current limits. If you don't meet them, send in your application anyway (you never know when they might lower them, and you will have your stuff in already). Real simple as far as the regs, commercial multi, and IFR rating is all that is required.

402s in northeast, florida, carrib, etc.: Read ALL before you start shouting!!! Scheduled 135 IFR requires a two pilot crew which must consist of an ATP captain and a FO with at least a Comm. Multi and IFR rating. You MAY utilize an autopilot instead of a FO. (see 135.105) That means = As a company qualified FO, you can log all the time as FO.

That being said...

402 Captains = ATP... you either need it already, or need to have all the requirements and they will do your 135 checkride along with your ATP ride. If your short on time see next---->

402 FO = Simple regulations again: Comm-Multi with IFR. Since they can operate without FOs all together with the use of autopilots you need to understand why they pay people for this at all. They do this to get you in the door, get your time up, so they can make you a captain. Therefore if you have a wet Comm-Multi they may not be looking to hard at you, because it will take them a year to get your time up to make you a captain. If you have 1000+ hours and are willing to spend some time there, you are probably competitive.

Good Luck, if you do fly in the Northeast, you will leave that company with the best stick and rudder IFR flying skills. Mine have deteriorated quickly since I left there over a year ago.

Contact Information:

Gene Smith
pilotjobs@flycapeair.com
660 Barnstable Rd
Hyannis, MA

Just wondering what Cape Air schedules are like. I heard 5 on 2 off. Is that it for the entire month or can you get a longer break each month? Also understood you're home every night, but you'll have to live in base or at least in driving distance. I talked to one pilot, who said if you're willing to live in the Northeast in one of the smaller towns, like Plattsburgh or Hyannis you'd probably just stay up there. That true?

Good Luck, if you do fly in the Northeast, you will leave that company with the best stick and rudder IFR flying skills. Mine have deteriorated quickly since I left there over a year ago.

Yeah, I didn't even know you were gone. Felt like a little awkward when I asked someone "Hey, do you know so-and-so. He was my old instructor" and they said "He's been gone for a while." :)

Just wondering what Cape Air schedules are like. I heard 5 on 2 off. Is that it for the entire month or can you get a longer break each month? Also understood you're home every night, but you'll have to live in base or at least in driving distance. I talked to one pilot, who said if you're willing to live in the Northeast in one of the smaller towns, like Plattsburgh or Hyannis you'd probably just stay up there. That true?

/////DISCLAIMER - information from over a year ago when I left, and things may have changed since then//////

Most of the schedules are on a 7 day cycle. (I say most because there are a few 3on/3off rotations for the smaller bases that only have one plane/2 pilots based there; such as Mayaguez and Ponce Puerto Rico). Most of the 7 day cycle lines are 5on/2off some are 4on/3off and there are usually a few 3on/4off(you need 10+ years seniority to hold one of those). The nice part about it is you are home every night (if you live where you are based), and it is the closest thing to a 9-5 job you can find in aviation.

Hope that helps

Yeah, I didn't even know you were gone. Felt like a little awkward when I asked someone "Hey, do you know so-and-so. He was my old instructor" and they said "He's been gone for a while." :)

Yeah, I left last summer. I miss it sometimes, then I hop into the LR60 and all those sentimental thoughts go away as I do 3500 fpm climb at 340kias through 15k on the way to FL410...;))

/////DISCLAIMER - information from over a year ago when I left, and things may have changed since then//////

Most of the schedules are on a 7 day cycle. (I say most because there are a few 3on/3off rotations for the smaller bases that only have one plane/2 pilots based there; such as Mayaguez and Ponce Puerto Rico). Most of the 7 day cycle lines are 5on/2off some are 4on/3off and there are usually a few 3on/4off(you need 10+ years seniority to hold one of those). The nice part about it is you are home every night (if you live where you are based), and it is the closest thing to a 9-5 job you can find in aviation.

Hope that helps

So in other words there is no certain number of days off per month? Or sounds like only 8 to me. Granted you're home every night, but I also like having a strectch of several days off in a row. Does that exist at Cape Air?

Right now the majority of the lines (around 50%) are 4 on 3 off. The rest are either 5/2, 4/4, or 4/5 (commuter schedule for Albany).

Yeah, I left last summer. I miss it sometimes, then I hop into the LR60 and all those sentimental thoughts go away as I do 3500 fpm climb at 340kias through 15k on the way to FL410...;))

While I'm getting vectors for my climb as you blow right by me. Yeah, rub it in. :)

Right now the majority of the lines (around 50%) are 4 on 3 off. The rest are either 5/2, 4/4, or 4/5 (commuter schedule for Albany).

I'd heard about this 'commuter schedule'. Does this mean they have overnights on the trips out of ALB? Also how hard would it to be to hold BOS year-round as a junior pilot now that it is a year round base? Someone mentioned to me that it is fairly junior because the senior guys try to avoid BOS if they can help it, of course I have no idea how true that is or not. I've asked on some other forums too, just trying to get some other perspectives before I put my app in. Thanks!

There are overnights on the ALB schedule, though I don't know where they are (whether in Ogdensburg, Watertown, etc.)

During the winter BOS stays relatively senior. By that I mean a new-hire probably isn't going to get it. If you have a year in, your chances are pretty good though. There are only nine lines right now out of boston, and a couple of them are set up of commuter lines so they are pretty popular.

Cape Air is currently hiring into a pool for a possible late January or early February class date.

Great thanks for the info! I'm just getting my app together, turning into quite the project but hopefully it'll be worthit. Sounds like a great group of people over there.

15/duty hour up north and 18/duty hour in the Carib. Most lines have a guaranteed weekly minimum between 35 and 45 hours.

There's good money to be made in puerto rico since any time over 8 hours in a day is considered overtime which gets time and a half or 27 bucks an hour. Therefore if your line is ten hours of duty time means you will get 2 hours overtime every day.

I'm not sure if this has changed or not, but I have heard different things on this. On the web stie it says you need to have an ATP, but I've also heard that they will now give you your ATP when you do your checkride? The only two things holding me back from applying is the ATP and the possibility of the high cost of living in the Northeast or Caribbean. Although, I guess if you are based in some of the outstations in NE it might not be as expensive as BOS. It also says they will assist with housing?

15/duty hour up north and 18/duty hour in the Carib. Most lines have a guaranteed weekly minimum between 35 and 45 hours.

There's good money to be made in puerto rico since any time over 8 hours in a day is considered overtime which gets time and a half or 27 bucks an hour. Therefore if your line is ten hours of duty time means you will get 2 hours overtime every day.
thats ok then. i make a little more now, but that isn't as bad of a cut as going to a regional

I'm not sure if this has changed or not, but I have heard different things on this. On the web stie it says you need to have an ATP, but I've also heard that they will now give you your ATP when you do your checkride? The only two things holding me back from applying is the ATP and the possibility of the high cost of living in the Northeast or Caribbean. Although, I guess if you are based in some of the outstations in NE it might not be as expensive as BOS. It also says they will assist with housing?

If you already have your ATP AMEL then you are expected to work for six months. I you do not then a fed DPE will ride in the back seat while you do your 135 PC ride and you will get your cert when you pass. In this case you are expected to work for one year. Let me stress: this is NOT a training contract. If you leave before your obligated time then you simply get a note in your file that says "not eligible for re-hire". The only money you may be held responsible for would be the bonus they offer for moving to the Caribbean.

As far as housing assistance goes I don't know of anything in the northeast outside of the extensive network of past and present Cape Air employees. In PR there is a real estate agent who works with us to find housing, but there is no financial assistance if that is what you mean.

Back