CAPE AIR INTERVIEW AUGUST 8th - Hotel Room at Embassy Suites Available

TexasFlyer

Living the Dream (well at least trying to)
Is anyone going to the interview at Cape Air for 9am on August 8th?

If so, I booked a room for $260 for the night of August 7th for a base rate of $219.

I will arrive the day prior since I am coming in from Texas (arrive 8:30pm).

This is a 2 room suite with a King bed in bedroom and a sofa bed in the living room.

I would love to split this with someone else who is needing a room. And for $130 each it's the best deal going. Especially since the interview is at this Hotel so it can't get more convenient than that. And breakfast is free (should be on golden platters for this price!).

And yeah, it's expensive but $260 for total cost is actually a decent deal in Boston for this hotel from what I seen. So $130 a piece. Any takers?

They don't pay for that anymore?

No. They reimburse up to $200 to airline in, or give free travel if you ride in using the 9K network, but otherwise the rest is on the applicant.

I paid for my own place last year when I interviewed. Got a cheap room downtown for like, $130/night off Priceline, which is an absolute steal for Boston at this time of year. Hostels go for like, $50/night, and that's for typical dorm room-style, 4-bed to a room type places, which I also considered. The hotel was real old and small, but clean and in a nice part of town, so I can't complain. Almost showed up late to the interview though because of some chaos with the trains and buses I had to ride to get to the interview in the morning. Probably wouldn't recommend doing it that way if I had to do it over.

To the OP: Good luck at the interview. Cape Air is a super solid place.

No. They reimburse up to $200 to airline in, or give free travel if you ride in using the 9K network, but otherwise the rest is on the applicant.

I paid for my own place last year when I interviewed. Got a cheap room downtown for like, $130/night off Priceline, which is an absolute steal for Boston at this time of year. Hostels go for like, $50/night, and that's for typical dorm room-style, 4-bed to a room type places, which I also considered. The hotel was real old and small, but clean and in a nice part of town, so I can't complain. Almost showed up late to the interview though because of some chaos with the trains and buses I had to ride to get to the interview in the morning. Probably wouldn't recommend doing it that way if I had to do it over.

To the OP: Good luck at the interview. Cape Air is a super solid place.

Ah, that sucks. They stuck us in the Radisson for the interview, which was paid for by the company.

Is anyone going to the interview at Cape Air for 9am on August 8th?

If so, I booked a room for $260 for the night of August 7th for a base rate of $219.

I will arrive the day prior since I am coming in from Texas (arrive 8:30pm).

This is a 2 room suite with a King bed in bedroom and a sofa bed in the living room.

I would love to split this with someone else who is needing a room. And for $130 each it's the best deal going. Especially since the interview is at this Hotel so it can't get more convenient than that. And breakfast is free (should be on golden platters for this price!).

And yeah, it's expensive but $260 for total cost is actually a decent deal in Boston for this hotel from what I seen. So $130 a piece. Any takers?

That Embassy Suites by Logan is a nice hotel. A good spread of hors d'oeuvres every night. Good luck on your interview, Cape Air is a good company.

When is the new airplane arriving for Cape Air??? Cape Air is a nice place to work, good luck on the interview...........

When is the new airplane arriving for Cape Air???

Unknown. 6-8 years from now?

Rumor is talks with Tecnam have mostly fallen apart and the company is looking to Cessna or Piper to design and produce something now.

Who knows. Unless a person plans on being a "lifer" at 9K, they probably won't fly whatever replaces the 402.

Unknown. 6-8 years from now?

Rumor is talks with Tecnam have mostly fallen apart and the company is looking to Cessna or Piper to design and produce something now.

Who knows. Unless a person plans on being a "lifer" at 9K, they probably won't fly whatever replaces the 402.
I have to think that if someone can come up with a replacement for the aging 402s and Chieftains, there would be a market for it. I know they say that part of the problem is the fact that a new build aircraft would be a million plus, but used Caravans can cost a million and they are still a hot commodity. I think the real problem is that nobody makes a non-avgas engine that makes 325-350 HP and matches the fuel efficiency of a TIO540 or TSIO520.

Would a C-208 Caravan be a better alternative for aircraft replacement for Cape Air???

Not really. Way too many over water ops to use a single engine plane, plus way too many cycles per day to use a turbine engine. It's relatively common for an aircraft doing the 20 minute legs with quick turns out on Cape Cod (like HYA-ACK) to have twenty startups/shutdowns in a day. Costs would be significantly higher to do that with a turbine. That's why they were specifically asking for a piston twin from Tecnam.

I have to think that if someone can come up with a replacement for the aging 402s and Chieftains, there would be a market for it. I know they say that part of the problem is the fact that a new build aircraft would be a million plus, but used Caravans can cost a million and they are still a hot commodity. I think the real problem is that nobody makes a non-avgas engine that makes 325-350 HP and matches the fuel efficiency of a TIO540 or TSIO520.
How about the IE2 stuff from Lycoming?

Could you imagine a push-button start, single power lever, mogas burning Chieftain?

http://www.lycoming.com/news-and-events/pdfs/iE2_Engine.pdf

That said I've heard the cost on these is pretty astronomical.

How about the IE2 stuff from Lycoming?

Could you imagine a push-button start, single power lever, mogas burning Chieftain?

http://www.lycoming.com/news-and-events/pdfs/iE2_Engine.pdf

That said I've heard the cost on these is pretty astronomical.
If it ever gets going.
The problem is that even with mogas burning engines, the airframes are 30+ years old.
Unless an engine like that can convince Piper or Cessna to start building twins again.

Not really. Way too many over water ops to use a single engine plane, plus way too many cycles per day to use a turbine engine.

Just about all the other operators out of SJU use a 208 for some (if not all) of their operation. They don't seem to have a problem with it. Granted, BOS-ACK is a bit longer of a leg (and over much colder water) than anybody down there is doing.

If it ever gets going.
The problem is that even with mogas burning engines, the airframes are 30+ years old.
Unless an engine like that can convince Piper or Cessna to start building twins again.
Are there any hard limits on the PA31 that would prevent them from flying for a lot longer? I know there are lot of them floating around up there.

Are there any hard limits on the PA31 that would prevent them from flying for a lot longer? I know there are lot of them floating around up there.
Not yet. But eventually I'm sure someone will shed the wings on a 40000 hour chieftain and then there will be ADs and all that jazz. In reality though parts costs as stuff wears out on 30 year old airplanes are really the problem.... Piper is pretty proud of their chieftain parts and I'm sure Cessna feels the same way about 402 parts.

Not yet. But eventually I'm sure someone will shed the wings on a 40000 hour chieftain and then there will be ADs and all that jazz. In reality though parts costs as stuff wears out on 30 year old airplanes are really the problem.... Piper is pretty proud of their chieftain parts and I'm sure Cessna feels the same way about 402 parts.
I think the highest time one I've seen here is 25K, with most being a lot less. We're also only putting on about 3 hours block time per day which translates to a lot less flight time.

Ultimately the comparison will be between parts costs from Piper/Cessna on their legacy aircraft and whatever new build they decide to offer. But when you consider you can buy a new Seneca for 800K list or a Baron for over a mil, what's a new 10 seat piston going to cost if any manufacturer decides to go after it? That kinda money buys a lot of parts.

Just about all the other operators out of SJU use a 208 for some (if not all) of their operation. They don't seem to have a problem with it. Granted, BOS-ACK is a bit longer of a leg (and over much colder water) than anybody down there is doing.

A lot of operators down there are changing from BN-2's Islanders to C-208's. A lot of 20-30 minute flights. In my opinion a single engine turbine is way safer than a multi piston...........

Back