CAPE AIR INTERVIEW AUGUST 8th - Hotel Room at Embassy Suites Available

Ugh. Cape Air will have to wait. Just cancelled my hotel and flight as I need to go support my family at a sudden time of crisis. God Speed pops...

A lot of operators down there are changing from BN-2's Islanders to C-208's. A lot of 20-30 minute flights. In my opinion a single engine turbine is way safer than a multi piston...........
I hear this all the time, and the next time I'm doing reccurent I'm going to tell the guy doing the check that we don't need to do single engine approaches because the pt6 just doesn't fail. You should tell the FAA to. That way they can remove the single engine over water ops stuff if it's turbine.

Given the choice between a pa31 or 402 and a 208 I'll take the piston twins all day.

I hear this all the time, and the next time I'm doing reccurent I'm going to tell the guy doing the check that we don't need to do single engine approaches because the pt6 just doesn't fail. You should tell the FAA to. That way they can remove the single engine over water ops stuff if it's turbine.

Given the choice between a pa31 or 402 and a 208 I'll take the piston twins all day.

The PT6 sure can fail but is more realiable than a piston engine. I would not like to be in a fully loaded piston twin with an engine failure................

There has never been anyone killed in a PC-12 after an engine failure. The same cannot be said for 402's, Navajo's or even King Air's. Statistically you're more likely to have an engine failure in a piston twin, and if you're anywhere near MTOW, there is no guarantee you'll make it back to the pavement.

There has never been anyone killed in a PC-12 after an engine failure. The same cannot be said for 402's, Navajo's or even King Air's. Statistically you're more likely to have an engine failure in a piston twin, and if you're anywhere near MTOW, there is no guarantee you'll make it back to the pavement.

I guarantee that you give a properly trained, ATP-level professional pilot a 402 or Navajo, he'll fly it single-engine without killing everyone onboard. With Cape Air's training program, you won't check out unless they're 100% confident this is true.

I guarantee that you give a properly trained, ATP-level professional pilot a 402 or Navajo, he'll fly it single-engine without killing everyone onboard. With Cape Air's training program, you won't check out unless they're 100% confident this is true.

Perhaps, but according to statistics, you're more likely to die in a piston twin than a single engined turboprop. Granted, cape air has some pretty good training, and you're probably better off in the back of one of their airplanes vs a SoFla 135 402, I still think a single engined tp is safer.

Not that I'm biased or anything.......

Cape Air has had a number of singe engine failures and once a dual engine failure that all ended successfully. To my knowledge, in 23 years they've never had a crash related to an engine failure.

Perhaps, but according to statistics, you're more likely to die in a piston twin than a single engined turboprop. Granted, cape air has some pretty good training, and you're probably better off in the back of one of their airplanes vs a SoFla 135 402, I still think a single engined tp is safer.

Not that I'm biased or anything.......

Those statistics include inexperienced pilots who haven't received proper training. :) I'd take the multi every day of the week, and it's not close.

Single engine is single engine no matter how you figure it out. I've had failures and I was more than happy to have another engine take me to the destination.

Boris Badenov said:
Pt6s don't quit. Except that one time I was flying and one did. Luckily that plane had two of them...

Funny, same thing happened to me! But it never happens....

A lot of operators down there are changing from BN-2's Islanders to C-208's. A lot of 20-30 minute flights. In my opinion a single engine turbine is way safer than a multi piston...........
Just spoke to a former co-worker of mine yesterday and he had to glide over 40 miles this week in a TBM to make an airport; now had there been any weather I doubt I would have been able to speak to him. In the right hands two are better than one regardless what they burn.

I guess I will never see a vmc roll on a C208 or a Pilatus............:rolleyes:

There is a distinct difference between a low-timer who's in above his head, and a professional who's checked every 6 months and flies the aircraft 6-8 legs per day. I'm a guy with about 600 total hours of single-engine time, so trust me when I say that I get antsy without that second engine!

Back