Can people afford to flight train?

Nobody seems to care?

Really?

I think a lot of people care, but these same people are huge supporters of the free market theory.

Nothing one, or two, or a large collective of grumbling poor pilots who are being priced out of the industry can do to change it.

Stuff costs money, and things are only getting more expensive. When the return on the investment of your flight training is ridiculously small, what motivation is there for anyone to want to make a concerted effort to improve the affordability of flight training / General aviation?

I personally feel that an effort should be made at protecting the ability of professional aviators to earn a livable wage is much more important than trying to make sure flight training is cheap.

Well, we could do what europe (i.e. GERMANY) has been doing for years now, and embrace gliding. I can't even count on two hands the amount of gliders up on a weekend afternoon in Freiburg. Then again, they're used to the high gas prices and have an infrastructure that can handle it.

I'm actually thinking about getting into the local gliding scene here in Georgia. Looks like a damn good time, and a chance to become ONE with the aircraft again. Commercial-Glider, and eventually a CFI-Glider wouldn't be bad.

I'm actually thinking about getting into the local gliding scene here in Georgia. Looks like a damn good time, and a chance to become ONE with the aircraft again. Commercial-Glider, and eventually a CFI-Glider wouldn't be bad.

Amen, it's one step closer to Wolfgang Langewiesche.

I didn't say you or your uncle or everybody at the place you rent airplanes will continue flying. I said "there will always be people". I was trying to answer the original question: "With rates like that, who can afford this anymore?". I'll be more direct. The rich. There is more wealth in this country, this world, than most people can fathom. If things get really bad, there will just be a shift. Someone will let their L-39 sit in the hangar and take out the Extra 300. Small airplanes owned by those who can't afford to operate them will sit.

I'm just saying take a big view of it all. If things get bad, this will be at least the third time general aviation has died.

If/when it gets to that point, you'll probably see Cessna and Piper do what they did again in the mid-80s and just put an end to building light aircraft period, probably never to return to the market. Airports will close due to lack of traffic, parts manufacturers will close up shop and if it gets bad enough, it is doubtful that the oil companies will continue production of 100LL. Remember that the last time GA started taking a big hit, you could still buy leaded fuel for your car. Now you can't and avgas is only made in small batches and is a huge PITA for refiners to deal with.

My point? You've got to keep the average Joe flying to keep the rest of the market going. Even IF you've got someone willing to pay an outrageous sum of money for a new aircraft, avionics stack, engine, etc., a manufacturer isn't going to keep the shop running if their orders drop by 70-80%. You can't afford to pay people to sit around and twiddle their thumbs waiting for business to come in.

Well what do you propose?

First off, we need a widely available, ethanol-free, alternative to avgas. That needs to be the first priority. Regular motor fuel would work fine, but this whole ethanol BS is threatening that supply, unless you can motivate your local flight schools, FBOs, airport comissions, etc., all of whom have a financial interest in keeping people flying (it is more than a bunch of disgruntled pilots surreal!) to lobby your state government to not mandate that every last gallon of motor fuel sold in the state contain ethanol. The EAA has been successful in several states of getting such laws passed, usually stipulating that it only applies to premium fuel, which still puts us in a better position than we're in now.

Secondly, and probably most important, tort reform. You can throw everything else out the window if you don't get a handle on lawyers who go after everyone with deep pockets anytime someone gets killed in an airplane crash, irregardless of their fault or involvement in the matter. This is a problem in this country that goes past GA. Outside of government regulation, lawsuits pose the largest cost component in many industries. I'm not advocating taking away someone's ability to recover damages when they've trully been harmed, but it is just too easy for someone to play the "lawsuit lottery" against someone with deep pockets.

Just tell everyone from the Louisville area to come down to London, KY ( hour and half or so southeast, off of I-75)!! Our 172 is $90 wet, and $120 wet w/ instructor! OUr instructors are awesome..some of the best I've seen, and the staff (myself included) will treat you like gold! It's a great airport with great people and great prices!!

Has Todd said this?

Or are you reading between the lines somewhere?

Hmm. . .what would OldTownPilot say.
i would guess it is reading into his thoughts that if people can't afford to train, then there would be more open jobs, because they are less qualified people to fly, and pay will increase.

Back