Can Part 91 operators get special approaches?

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
For example, if some random guy (not affiliated with a part 135 certificate) wanted to get one of the special authorization approaches (like the ones into PADU) how would they go about doing it?

Still need to go through the FSDO to get a LOA, and the feds need to wave their magic wand or you can't get the plate from Jep.

I think it would be frustrating trying to operate out of an airport without access to an instrument approach, unless the weather there is always good.

What sort of "special" approaches? Do you have an example?

I think he is referring to company specific instrument approaches. For example, I know of a part 135 air ambulance company in northern California that has a few FAA-approved helicopter GPS approaches into hospital helipads they serve along the north coast.

Also many airlines have approaches that are published only in the Jepps specific to that airline. Examples are the approach into Aspen that was recently being discussed, and the "FMS Bridge Visual Runway 28R" at SFO.

As to whether a part 91 operator can apply for an LOA for one, I'm not sure.

Edit: I believe there's also a special RNP approach into Juneau with lower minimums that only Alaska airlines has (was recently discussed on here). Those are just a few examples but I'm sure there are many more.

There are a couple of different approaches to which I THINK you refer: those that show "approval required" and those that show "authorization required". The FSDO LOA issuance for both is similar but the later is a more drawn out/difficult process.

Yes, Part 91 operators can be approved/authorized, you'll find information about this in AC90-101A

EDIT: There are a lot of approaches out there that you can not get unless you'ree affiliated with the company that had them drawn up. The first step in the process requires a LOA from the approach "owner".

I assume that these LOAs include a range of circumstances, some of which include carrier's agreement for special training.

Has anybody ever requested one of these proprietary approaches? Is there any controller discretion at play?

I assume that these LOAs include a range of circumstances, some of which include carrier's agreement for special training.
Correct.....
Has anybody ever requested one of these proprietary approaches? Is there any controller discretion at play?
I have, and it's a PITA to suffer the Gub'ment approval/authorization process. There are no special controller issues that I'm aware, the points are identified on the screens for approach controllers.

Correct.....

I have, and it's a PITA to suffer the Gub'ment approval/authorization process. There are no special controller issues that I'm aware, the points are identified on the screens for approach controllers.
I meant, has anybody requested the "Alaska Airlines" approach?

The ak airlines jnu 25 approach is company specific (ie, they paid to develop and flight test it, like any other private approach) so no one else can get that. But, if you have the dual capstone system and an LOA from the fsdo for the required "training program", which is a joke really, and want to pay for the updates from jepp, I see no reason why you couldn't get all the specials.

A good friend of mine flies for a purely 91 corporate operator. He has private approaches for their field, but also has the 'airline' approaches into a couple ski resort towns (Aspen and maybe Cheyenne? I'll have to ask). It's possible, just takes access to them and a cooperative FSDO. I can find out some details tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I can answer your question, but we have approval to do an approach down to circling mins to our base from the navy base about .5 miles away. We can go down to 480' and 1SM, break off the approach, and go SVFR. The caveat is that we have to specifically train people on that approach. As an aside, theres no approach into our base, but I can count the number of times on one hand that I haven't been able to land at home.

Back