Can I afford to teach at Van Nuys?

my long term goal is to get into corporate aviation and stay part 91 my entire career.

Then apply to Flight Safety Academy in KVRB, get some time there as CFI then get transfered to an FSI center, some of my friends that have done that route have some of the best jobs out there in Part 91/135 corporate, not only in the US but also abroad, a fellow co-worker who sticked around and then got transferred to Savannah is flying Part 91 in Australia, for $ and benefits pilots can only dream in the US..not to mention the amazing QOL he has.

That`s actually a place I don`t like at all, I still have to figure out what is so great about it, and after living in the South Pacific there are no waters that can impress me as much. I dunno I think Key West is kind of lame...I flew down for the Lobster fest last year, I dunno I wasn`t impressed at all, next time I would rather fly up to Apalachicola, I love that place.

Guess it depends who you are there with. For beaches, St Pete/Sarasota are much better

Checking craigslist it appears that I can rent a room in a nice house for 600-900/month, which is MUCH cheaper than renting an apartment. I'm ok living in a nice bachelor pad with other people my age for a few years. I also own my car outright.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but let me comment on this.

I was living in North Hollywood, and honestly, in a bit of a slum, in 2006 and 2007, and was paying $950 a month for a 200 square foot apartment. Four guys got shot on my street (Lankershim between Van Owen and Victory) in that one year period, and frankly, I'm not sure that I'd live in that area again.

Finding a room in a "nice house" for $600 a month sounds dubious at best in my experience, for that area.

The real question is...

Why would you want to??? It's a good place to work, crappy place to have to teach, even worse place to live. If I was just going to up and move, there are at least a dozen other places I'd pick. All far, far away from the San Fernando Valley & the cesspool that is Los Angeles.
$600/mo, you'll be living in a converted garage in a house on Vanowen.... $900/mo will get you a place with bars in the windows where you can maybe park your car on the same block. Which won't matter anyway since it'll probably get broken into or hit within the first month. More than likely by an illegal undocumented immigrant without insurance... Who you will be paying for anyway through your own higher insurance premiums and your extra uninsured motorist coverage... Welcome to Kalifornia....

Oh, and I'm not exaggerating.

Most charter is NOT bottom feeding. The company I work for pays well, fantastic QOL, they don't work you like a dog 24/7 and I don't have to pay for my type ratings. Lacy can't say any of that.
I'd say that charter is where you can get the biggest QOL range in the industry. Some of the worst and best exists in charter.

Based on a lot of the charter pilots I have talked to it seems like they hop around jobs a lot. That means a greater chance to hit a bad operator.

The real question is...

Why would you want to??? It's a good place to work, crappy place to have to teach, even worse place to live. If I was just going to up and move, there are at least a dozen other places I'd pick. All far, far away from the San Fernando Valley & the cesspool that is Los Angeles.
$600/mo, you'll be living in a converted garage in a house on Vanowen.... $900/mo will get you a place with bars in the windows where you can maybe park your car on the same block. Which won't matter anyway since it'll probably get broken into or hit within the first month. More than likely by an illegal undocumented immigrant without insurance... Who you will be paying for anyway through your own higher insurance premiums and your extra uninsured motorist coverage... Welcome to Kalifornia....

Oh, and I'm not exaggerating.
Over the last 14 years I've lived in apartments in Sherman Oaks, Encino and Tarzana which are considered to be decent areas. I've never paid more than $1000 a month for a 1 bedroom. Never had bars on my windows. Never had my car or place broken in to. There ARE some bad areas and some have gang problems just like there are with any large city. L.A. has really bad traffic and fuel is expensive but it's hardly a cesspool. If you wanna see a cesspool I suggest you check out Moline, IL. So admit it, you're exaggerating just a LITTLE bit.

Over the last 14 years I've lived in apartments in Sherman Oaks, Encino and Tarzana which are considered to be decent areas. I've never paid more than $1000 a month for a 1 bedroom. Never had bars on my windows. Never had my car or place broken in to. There ARE some bad areas and some have gang problems just like there are with any large city. L.A. has really bad traffic and fuel is expensive but it's hardly a cesspool. If you wanna see a cesspool I suggest you check out Moline, IL. So admit it, you're exaggerating just a LITTLE bit.

I've lived just outside of SFV nearly all my life. Yes, you can find decent places around here. The problem is, you pay so much for them that saving money to buy a house is nearly out of the question. Hence, the bolded "14 years" of living in the same area, and still renting.

I've lived just outside of SFV nearly all my life. Yes, you can find decent places around here. The problem is, you pay so much for them that saving money to buy a house is nearly out of the question. Hence, the bolded "14 years" of living in the same area, and still renting.
That's partly true in my case. Back then I had a sick mother in Chicago that I was sending a good amount of money to. Also when I got here I was trying to do the whole rock star thing so I wasn't really focused on making a lot or saving money. If owning a house was a focus and didn't have other financial obligations back then I maybe could have managed it. But now there's absolutely no way. Not only that I don't see the value in paying $600K+ on a modest house when you can have the same thing for much less most anywhere else. I'll eventually have to leave here. But as to the the OP being told that L.A. is a crime ridden cesspool and completely unaffordable, that was mostly hyperbole.

I'd say that charter is where you can get the biggest QOL range in the industry. Some of the worst and best exists in charter.

Based on a lot of the charter pilots I have talked to it seems like they hop around jobs a lot. That means a greater chance to hit a bad operator.

Ya you get a huge range. Also, I have met a bunch of guys that have the "grass is always greener" mentality. Even when things aren't that bad bad you get guys that are looking for the next best thing.

I would agree that EYW is a dump. Lots of gay, lost soul, alcoholics down there. Theme there are the 'beach clubs'- full of straight, lost soul, alcoholics. No good beaches. Margaritaville and other associated dive bars are fun in a ' I'm 21 drunk, and puke on my shoes' kind of way. Seriously, never got more of feeling of desolation than in key west.

Do what the guy above suggested. Network into FSI sim centers. I had a REALLY good part time right seater at Simuflite in Dallas. I tried everything in my power to steer him to corporate, but he had airline stars in his eyes and was already an AE FO. There are good jobs out there. I have been with the same 91 department for 13 years. Last year I flew just over 200 hrs, 50-60 RON's.

That's partly true in my case. Back then I had a sick mother in Chicago that I was sending a good amount of money to. Also when I got here I was trying to do the whole rock star thing so I wasn't really focused on making a lot or saving money. If owning a house was a focus and didn't have other financial obligations back then I maybe could have managed it. But now there's absolutely no way. Not only that I don't see the value in paying $600K+ on a modest house when you can have the same thing for much less most anywhere else. I'll eventually have to leave here. But as to the the OP being told that L.A. is a crime ridden cesspool and completely unaffordable, that was mostly hyperbole.

I'm going to stand by my crime ridden cesspool, but again, that's constrained to a box between Van Own and Victory, and Lankershim and Vineland.

Other than that the weather was great :)

I'm going to stand by my crime ridden cesspool, but again, that's constrained to a box between Van Own and Victory, and Lankershim and Vineland.

I agree with your assessment of that neighborhood, but keep in mind that less than 10 mi. away are nice areas. I've lived the Crescenta Valley area for over thirty years and I like it.

For reference, this happened just outside of that area. If my esteemed colleague would expand that area to be bound by Vanowen, Victory, Laurel Canyon and Vineland, it would be included, but I actually had to get a map out.

I Love Cali, Ive lived in both SoCal and NorCal. it is EXPENSIVE as others have stated. And while I love it out there Im Happy to be home in Upstate NY and I will NEVER live in Cali again.

For reference, this happened just outside of that area. If my esteemed colleague would expand that area to be bound by Vanowen, Victory, Laurel Canyon and Vineland, it would be included, but I actually had to get a map out.

Yeah...I lived on that block, actually, and used that bank!

Back