Calling all 757 pilots..

It's all about the PW2040's. I hear the RB is a better performing engine on the 75 that the PW's.

But, the PW's just look better hangin' from the wing! :)

UPS runs the PW2040 and RB211 engines on their 757's and GE's on the 767. I think Delta has some PW2037 powered aircraft. The PW's are a two spooled engine (N1/N2) and the RR's are a three spooled (N1, N2 and N3) engine. GE's have N1 and N2 but no EPR gauge. The RR engine cluster always looked busier to me than the GE's since the GE's didn't have EPR or N3 in the mix and the PW's were somewhere in between. Not a big deal, just different.

PW's always seem to hold speed better with autothrottles engaged and had better reverse thrust effectiveness on landing (larger fan section) than the RR's powered airplanes. The RB's always started faster (really fast!) and would seemed to hold climb power better all the way to altitude than the PW's. However, the RR's engines had very little effectiveness when using reverse thrust and was a little sloppier in autothrottle speed control. PW's, IMHO, always looked better hanging on the wing. I never had any big problems with any of the engines and they all served me well over the years.

AA's 757s with blended winglets are my favorite planes to look at on long lay overs in DFW going round and round on the Skylink since most the wide-bodies are gone from there. 777's never really did it for me.

Back