Calling all 757 pilots..

The 'fifty seven' was the answer for Eastern and United to replace the 727. Boeing had floated the 727-300 with the JT8D-200 series engines and it never left paper. No one wanted it so Boeing went back to the boards for a narrow body twin. Out of that came the 757. It was not a fast seller and at times Boeing wondered if they had an albatross. It did begin to sell and is a common type rating with the 767. The 767 is the better handling machine but the 757-200 is the better looking.

The 757 is a big wing airplane and is quite easy to land. Be on speed, pull the power to idle at about 40-50ft above the runway and hold the pitch steady. It will essentially land itself in no wind conditions. There are a few problems with the 757 primarily the lack of good drag devices. The airplane does not readily slow up which may sound odd but you need to be able to dump energy at times and the speedbrakes are not the barn doors like on the MD-80 or the 727.

Rule of thumb.. if you think you need to lower the landing gear to slow down, you probably DO. If you KNOW you need to lower the landing gear to dump energy, prepare for a possible go around.

The airplane is quite stable on final approach, the visibility is good from the cockpit and after a while the dog-poop brown cockpit scheme no longer bothers you. Systems are simple except for the recirculation fan which no one really understands so they memorize stuff for the oral and merely bark like a dog when asked about it on the oral. Within months, that knowledge evaporates until the next sim session. For most non-normals (we did away with abnormals), the answer is 'the valve is NOT in the commanded position'.

Nice piece of machinery overall. Oh..and it will easily outclimb the a321 at heavier weights although given the choice of cockpits, I would choose the -321

One man's opinion.. your mileage may vary.

The 'fifty seven' was the answer for Eastern and United to replace the 727. Boeing had floated the 727-300 with the JT8D-200 series engines and it never left paper. No one wanted it so Boeing went back to the boards for a narrow body twin. Out of that came the 757. It was not a fast seller and at times Boeing wondered if they had an albatross. It did begin to sell and is a common type rating with the 767. The 767 is the better handling machine but the 757-200 is the better looking.

The 757 is a big wing airplane and is quite easy to land. Be on speed, pull the power to idle at about 40-50ft above the runway and hold the pitch steady. It will essentially land itself in no wind conditions. There are a few problems with the 757 primarily the lack of good drag devices. The airplane does not readily slow up which may sound odd but you need to be able to dump energy at times and the speedbrakes are not the barn doors like on the MD-80 or the 727.

Rule of thumb.. if you think you need to lower the landing gear to slow down, you probably DO. If you KNOW you need to lower the landing gear to dump energy, prepare for a possible go around.

The airplane is quite stable on final approach, the visibility is good from the cockpit and after a while the dog-poop brown cockpit scheme no longer bothers you. Systems are simple except for the recirculation fan which no one really understands so they memorize stuff for the oral and merely bark like a dog when asked about it on the oral. Within months, that knowledge evaporates until the next sim session. For most non-normals (we did away with abnormals), the answer is 'the valve is NOT in the commanded position'.

Nice piece of machinery overall. Oh..and it will easily outclimb the a321 at heavier weights although given the choice of cockpits, I would choose the -321

One man's opinion.. your mileage may vary.

Wow, nice write up!

R U SRRS?

Paper Airplanes are my favorite.

No CBA, no labor vs. management nonsense, just paper and gravity!

Im gonna post this again. This is why I love this airplane. :rawk:

[yt]eRiCHgQnf9s[/yt]
Man all those RNZAF 757 videos just show how awesome that ship is. I've been in love with the 757 ever since I was a little kid.

Wow, nice write up!

I didn't get much time in the 767-200ER we had but when we did fly it domestically, the fuel loads were light and we went coast to coast above FL400 all the time. It would CLIMB and on initial departure you had to watch your climb to not a hard level-off. The seven-six did come down better and was also a very easy airplane to land. Cat IIIBs app/landing in both were nice, smooth and enough to make you laugh when you contemplated what you had just done.

The fifty seven just looks good with that long slender fuselage and those twin engines hanging like pendulous orbs. :nana2:

Story goes that the 767 was designed first hence, the reason why some of the systems (hydraulics) are little more cumbersome than on the 757. When Boeing started working on the 76 they thought that no airline would ever want another narrowbody. Then, American, Delta, United all said that well, we do want one. Now, we pick up with Orange Anchor's story...

If I am flying in a lot of bad weather, in the mountains, and heavy I would rather be flying a 757 rather than a 767. The thing just really gets up and goes.

The seats could have been designed better though or, perhaps that is just a Delta thing. Strangely enough, the EMB-145 is still the most comfortable cockpit I have ever flown. The 717 and 737 were like sitting on a stadium bleacher.

The seats could have been designed better though or, perhaps that is just a Delta thing. Strangely enough, the EMB-145 is still the most comfortable cockpit I have ever flown. The 717 and 737 were like sitting on a stadium bleacher.

I guess it is operator's choice but the 727/737 seats were.. fit for a tractor? Not for a long ride in a cockpit originally designed for a short 90min segment. The jumpseat is (unless it is the last ride home) qualifies for cruel and unusual. (let's not mention the one for the DC-9/MD-80)

The 'bus seats are more comfortable and the 757/767 better than earlier Boeings. Best seat I ever sat in was a Falcon 900 and my friend says the group that he flies with... the pilots roundly dislike the seats. ???

I flew the B757/B767-300ER for 11 yrs. Speaking of performance and reliability the B757 has always been my favorite airplane. It was reliable to a fault compared to anything else I had ever flown. You push the power up and then you hung on tight because you were going places! Nothing like an empty seven-five in the winter during a max thrust takeoff!!:rawk::eek:

Yea, I always liked, and still do, the "looks" and speed of the Boeing lawn dart (B727), especially the B727-200 and it's ability to go fast and then "chop and drop" at a moments notice, but the B757 was like moving up to the Starship Enterprise for me. Affectionately named the "Atari Ferrari" back in the day, it was a real treat to fly. The thing had crazy performance numbers with sustained pitch attitudes that made you feel like someone had strapped JATO rockets to the tail. I had more positive comments on climbout from ATC than any other plane I've flown. However, I was usually to busy just hanging on to respond!:p The B767 is no slouch either but the B757 just looks sexier doing it!

It's a rock solid airplane. The automation which includes triple ring laser IRS's, some now equipped with GPS's and triple redundant autopilot systems with the ability to perform CATIIIB approaches, dual FMC's and a moving map was a vast improvement over the old analog jets.

You could always tell the difference between the B75 pilots and DC8 guys around ops. The 75/76 pilots were a small group who wore tasseled shoes, tailored uniforms and sipped tea with the pinkie extended and spoke in nerdy computer jargon. The DC8 guys..were, umm..well, they were just a completely different breed...so unrefined.:rolleyes: You know, shoveling coal into the boilers for steam, tapping on analog gauges until the needle moves and saying, "drop, rise" all the time!:p:D

That's a pretty good comparison!

I still want to walk into some 727 pilot convention and yell:

"Protect essential!"

or

"OH MY WORD!!! NO GREEN LIGHT!"

I was lucky enough to get some time in a Level D 757 simulator at Alteon in Miami. I was only a private pilot at the time with 17 hours under my belt and I was able to take off, fly it, and do an ils approach manually with no auto throttle or autopilot for the approach. The airplane was incredibly easy to fly and as I sat in the cockpit, I told my teacher, "Screw Air Traffic Control, I am going to be a pilot"...
Lets see, I got some videos of it on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Q-Tnlt1gE
From that experience, the 757 is one of my most favorite airplanes, but my true favorite bar none else is the L1011.

Back