C Series hits a.....snag

Boeing has lost it. Innovation is dead. I really like hearing on tower "airliner 123, you're 8 miles in trail of [whatever], showing a 40 knot overtake, start slowing to final approach speed, number two, cleared to land."

"Umm. We're already at our final approach speed..."

No insider knowledge but I hear some of the 900 approach speeds can be around 170 due to the length.

Flew our A321neo last week, it was SUCH a great plane. Quiet, good performance, and sips gas. Airbus has the future on lock with that thing.

Throw a tariff on it! MAGA! Gotta keep our outsourced plants in China in business by selling 737s! :)

Flew our A321neo last week, it was SUCH a great plane. Quiet, good performance, and sips gas. Airbus has the future on lock with that thing.

Heard the older 321s were dogs at gross weight. What is the max altitude the 321neo can go at gross?

Losing the revenue from the F/A-18 sale is squat compared to potential losses from a competitor encroaching on commercial sales.

The margins on FMS military sales suck compared to any direct commercial sale (whether that is Military or Commercial Aircraft).

True, thought we get a lot of less directly spreadsheet friendly benefits to FMS over DCS.

Boeing and the Navy just really want to squeeze any time they can out of the Super Hornet production line though, and this would have helped.

I'd rather see Canada go back to the F-35 they were originally on anyway. Helps us, helps them.... makes their PM look a little more like a pragmatist instead of what he campaigned on. Either way the Canadian C/D Hornets are waaaay overdue for some serious upgrades, but that's a good portion of Canada's military in general.

This sounds like the same shenanery surrounding the contracting bid for the strat tanker replacement. EADS/Nrothrop Grumman put up the A330 vs Boeing's 767. 767 won, but it was canceled when illegal activity by the Boeing crowd was brought to light. Then, the A330 WON the rebid, but Boeing protested, and it needed to be rebid again. THEN, the acquisition/bidding process was so skewed and rigged in favor of Boeing that EADS threw up its hands and said screw it, Boeing can have it. Then, EADS jumped back in and Boeing won the contract anyway, many say dubiously. That was a NINE YEAR PROCESS starting in 2002. Sounds like the template for what's going on now with the C-Series.

The saddest part about the whole thing is that here we sit in 2017 still tanking behind decrepit KC-135s and KC-10s, and the A330 is an absolute dream to tank from. You know it's going to be a good night when you see that it's going to be the Brits, Canadians, or Aussies dragging you around theater. Not so much if it's a KC-135. That's not any concern of Boeing's though.

Even if I wasn't a pilot, my 'Made in America' penchant would be wearing incredibly thin with Boeing.

Boeing sounds like the local crybaby complaining because he wasn't invited to a birthday party. The only Boeing Delta should give two craps about if the 777 LR. Does Airbus even have a jet capable of that kind of distance yet? If not now is the time to make one. Either way, Boeing is being stupid about this. It's their fault they chose to rehash a 50-year-old narrow-body airplane design instead of innovating. No one should be penalized because of their laziness. Im sure Delta will work out a deal with Bombardier.

Last edited:
So potentially Delta could just set up a leasing company in Canada and skirt around the tariff?

Also I could see this being quite bad for pilot hiring at Delta. No new airplanes no need to be hiring 1000 pilots next year...

Also I could see this being quite bad for pilot hiring at Delta. No new airplanes no need to be hiring 1000 pilots next year...

No need to go all lemming over the cliff.

The C series has nothing to do with pilot hiring at Delta. That is driven by retirements. We're still behind the curve on replacing he old guys and it's getting worse.

The C series (300) was a direct replacement for the MD88. If there are problems with delivery, just plan on seeing the mad dog retirement extended.

Back