Broken

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
We've been dealing with a broken standby altimeter over here on an airplane for 3 days now. It's gone up on 9 or 10 check flights since Saturday (up to FL310 to see if there is a split between the PFD and Standby altimeters and then back down), 3 of which I did today and 1 I did yesterday. Anyhow, they still have no idea what's wrong but here's a picture I took while they were working on it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sep 17.jpg
    Sep 17.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,116
I think I see the problem, your landing gear handle is slightly out of position.

:p

Sitting on an airplane while MX gremlins are tracked down is my definition of purgetory.

Having a pilot sitting in an airplane while they track down mx gremlins is many a mechanic's definition of purgatory.

Did you do the flights out of DAY? I think I might have heard one of you guys if it was...it was a 9*** flight number or something?

Yeah. 9346, 9349 and 9345. There was a Waterski floating along out there (I think during our last flight). In fact at one point Indy called us Waterski 9345 before correcting himself.

Lucky you, I love MX flying.

:yeahthat:I love MX flying too. You get to do things in the airplane that you would never do with passengers. Like see what the airplane reallys flys like with no HYD's. put the trim far out to each side. Those things I practiced in the sim---oh Go Arounds!! max performance landings, high speed taxi's, max reverse. Wear who every you want while flying. :rawk:
I did a MX flight about two months ago at 0230 and got a block alt. of 10000 to FL300

At eagle the number is 9801.9802,9803 and down the line always starting over the day at 9801.

:yeahthat:I love MX flying too. You get to do things in the airplane that you would never do with passengers. Like see what the airplane reallys flys like with no HYD's. put the trim far out to each side. Those things I practiced in the sim---oh Go Arounds!! max performance landings, high speed taxi's, max reverse. Wear who every you want while flying. :rawk:
I did a MX flight about two months ago at 0230 and got a block alt. of 10000 to FL300

At eagle the number is 9801.9802,9803 and down the line always starting over the day at 9801.
Pretty much how freight is...

10,000 to FL300 block for freight!? I'm, sure the jumpseat PAX really enjoy the Vomit-Comet-esque 0G! Not sure what that does for your fuel burn, tho...

I think he's referring to being able to fly the airplane how it was meant to be flown, and not like a 60 year old grandma drives.

How much is the standby altimeter off? The standby isn't required to meet the RVSM standards, so the higher you go, the more difference you'll see.

When we were on the acceptance flight of our company's new Hawker, the standby was showing 500' higher than the main altimeters at FL390

You get to do things in the airplane that you would never do with passengers.

Well, that's lovely. I run every MX or repo flight just like there are people in the back. I had it out with an FO because he decided that because we were empty he was going to wait until VT to rotate and then bank 50 degrees. Sorry if I'm boring but that ain't happening.

And the thing was reading between 400 and 500 feet off. Apparently there is a waiver that nobody knew about that allows it to go to 625 feet and still be legal.

Boo. That's the whole point of empty ferries and mx flights. To have some fun. Well, at least for the pilots anyway.

I think its okay to have alittle fun on MX flights as long as you know the difference between "fun" and "stupidity":D

I was sure someone was going to mention the Pinnacle incident. I agree with 777's statement. There is a difference between fun and stupidity, although it is occasionally a very fine line. As long as you're operating within the limitations set forth by the company or the manufacturer, I don't really have a problem with it.

I agree with BobDDuck and i'm pleased to see that he doesn't pitch his company ops manual out the window when his aircraft is empty.

This isn't a flying club. You're being paid to do a job. They tell you how to fly the airplane and that is how they expect it to be flown -- pax or otherwise. There IS a fine line between fun and stupid and I suspect you won't know where it is until you're writing the NASA report about why you've crossed it.

I had the same discussion with one of my colleagues when, on an empty flight, they dropped the nose after takeoff, accelerated to 250, and then pitched up to some ridiculous pitch attitude. Told him if he ever pulled that kind of crap with me in the airplane again, i'm getting off at the next stop and HE could call the chief pilot and explain why.

Back