Broken

I'm frankly amazed that the PIC of a 121 carrier would put his ability to earn his livelihood at risk in order to screw around on a maintenance flight. Dangerous or otherwise, that's just plain dumb.

Perhaps we're at odds at what kind of flying I'm talking about. I'm not talking about doing things 30 deg pitch climbs and rolling into 90 degrees of bank. I'm not talking about exceeding any limitations on the plane. I'm talking about flying a little more aggressive than I would with a load of pax in the back. I'm talking about doing certain kind of takeoff configurations and approaches that we rarely or never get to do. If you think that's out of line then yeah, I guess I am dangerous and dumb.

I don't want to start the whole props are for boats thing, but there is a BIG difference between messing around in a candy bar wing tprop and a swept wing jet.

Hey if you want to go shoot an NDB approach or something i'm all for it. If you want to practice a noise-abatement takeoff -- sure! Why not?

I'm talking about flying a little more aggressive than I would with a load of pax in the back.
This is the part that is a borderline dangerous attitude and - perhaps worse - indicates a lack of respect for your job and for someone else's property. After all, you don't OWN the airplane. You work for the organization who does. They pay you to fly the airplane in accordance with their procedures.

If you called the Chief Pilot and asked him, "Would you mind if I _____ during this maintenance flight?" -- what would his/her answer be?

Bob, having a good amount of time flying both I think that's true. It's still a matter of what exactly said person does with said aircraft. That being said, Zap, I don't think we actually disagree on this. My interpretation of having a little fun seems to be right on the limits of your ideas of still being responsible.

Why in the hell did I ever sign up with the name "bob". What was I thinking.

Anyhow...

Ed, I agree with you. Despite your crazy AF past, I don't think you would step outside the normal everyday flight envelope. However, there are people out there that do stupid stuff just because the plane isn't flying with a normal flight number.

Apparently there is a waiver that nobody knew about that allows it to go to 625 feet and still be legal.

Welcome to our company where we pride ourselves on making sure the left hand has NO IDEA what the right hand is doing. Are you J.C.? Been wondering who this is for a while ....

BB

I was sure someone was going to mention the Pinnacle incident. I agree with 777's statement. There is a difference between fun and stupidity, although it is occasionally a very fine line. As long as you're operating within the limitations set forth by the company or the manufacturer, I don't really have a problem with it.

I agree 100%, and that's why I posted about the Pinnacle accident.

Not everyone who reads this message board has the experience/background/knowledge to understand that "very fine line!"

The two Pinnacle pilots in this incident lost their lives even though they thought they were operating within the limitations set forth by the company and/or manufacturer.

The problem was that their ignorance of high-altitude-swept-wing aerodynamics, coupled with a little-understood characteristic of their engines, ended up killing them...

I've always found this accident tragic because they operated their aircraft in a manner and environment they didn't understand, through no active fault of their own, other than lack of proper knowledge/training.

I learned things I didn't know or understand before from their experience and hope others will to.

"There but for the grace of God goes me (or all of us)..."

Kevin

Hey if you want to go shoot an NDB approach or something i'm all for it. If you want to practice a noise-abatement takeoff -- sure! Why not?

This is the part that is a borderline dangerous attitude and - perhaps worse - indicates a lack of respect for your job and for someone else's property. After all, you don't OWN the airplane. You work for the organization who does. They pay you to fly the airplane in accordance with their procedures.

If you called the Chief Pilot and asked him, "Would you mind if I _____ during this maintenance flight?" -- what would his/her answer be?

Borderline Dangerous??? I am not going to exceed my aircraft's limitations, doing so would be breaking the rules and taking your life in Gods hands. I respect my job and did/do what they paid/pay me to do. The MX flight calls for a number of tests on the airframe and systems. I did/do what the book calls for this tests. You think I really want to fly around with my HYD's off, are you nuts? The fun parts are stuff like max preformance landings, thats a good test of skill, along with testing the airplane. High speed taxi because at 80 knots I felt a little pull on the pedals. I know the organization and passengers I fly for, and I test my aircraft like my family is going to fly on this airplane.

Back