Bring a Book on US Air

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Better bring a book on flights.

US Airways (LCC, Fortune 500) says it will start removing in-flight entertainment systems on domestic flights in November to save about $10 million annually in fuel and other costs.....

Cheap Turds....

Let the over-the-top BS savings derby begin!!!

Next to go, all that worthless, overweight tray tables.

Ohhh....another great idea....10oz coke cans....of course the money on fuel savings will be offset by the cost of having specially made cans of soda.

God forbid they actually replace old insulation that has collected weight via water vapor and dust, clean all the dirt off the airframe....

Eh. All they ever showed was the travel channel fun facts quizamadocrap on the flights that I were on anyways.

boy, those 4-5 hr flights are going to get so boring, people will for sure stop flying them.

I have a flight up to Wisc in August on them... good thing the entertainment doesn't stop till November! I don't know what i'd do with myself....

boy, those 4-5 hr flights are going to get so boring, people will for sure stop flying them.

I have a flight up to Wisc in August on them... good thing the entertainment doesn't stop till November! I don't know what i'd do with myself....

Well, on the upside, you're getting valuable Star Alliance Miles :D

IFE is good to have but it's not that big of a deal to lose it. Just go to sleep, look outside the window, read a book, listen to music, etc.

Aww crap! Now I'm never going to see how "Johnson Family Vacation" ends (no way in hell I'd ever rent that schlock).

They're not cheap. They're struggling to stay alive.

I wouldn't knock on them too much. How many airlines actually have in-flight entertainment anyways. And who watches it when they do.

Bring a laptop. And if you don't have one, get with the times.

They're not cheap. They're struggling to stay alive.

They are cheap. And USAir has been 'struggling to stay alive' almost as long as aviation experts have been calling it 'the aging B-52'.

USAir has a history of showing others what NOT to do. From Colodny and the mergers to today, it is a history replete with mistakes, mis-steps and bad decisions (selling off the London routes, Business Select, MetroJet, destroying the west coast market, dismantling the Florida Shuttle, etc). And repeatedly the employees have taken the brunt of failures.

Take the IFE off? Sure. Take more off. Just remember, you can make cheap pizza but it the result is so bad no one will eat it.

US Airways: The Official Airline of Last Resort.

Frankly I could care less about IFE. I mean Southwest doesn't have it. So really about the same deal. The $2 for a can of soda or bottle of water stinks.

Not that they were spending money on new releases as it is. I flew them to Vegas last month from Chicago, and they showed "Seabiscuit"!!

US Airways is in survival mode. The only thing keeping them alive this long is the money they have in the bank. Which will be gone soon. While it pretty much screws my life up, having them go away will hopefully make the industry a stronger place. Just sucks I'm wrapped up with them.

Bring a laptop. And if you don't have one, get with the times.

Brilliant! Tick off your customers and then have 100 people bring laptops onboard. This will save 500 lbs of weight!!!

oh wait, 500 lbs of laptops = 500 lbs of entertainment gear.

Well maybe the cost of removing the equipment will be offset by the studio fees for the "sound of music or Tootsie".

Net gain? mad passengers who are now worried if you have the cash to do maintenance on the airplane.

These types of measures are always counterproductive and in the end cost revenue. These drop in the bucket acts do nothing to change the underlying economics for the airline. Stooopid.

fail2it9.jpg

I never watched the Inflight Entertainment System anyway. Just bring your laptop, and iPod, or a good book with you. US Airways is not going to save any money by doing this. I wonder how much money it costs to remove all of those entertainment systems.

Oh, in US Airways defense...

My understanding is that the licensing fee for showing a movie on a flight is actually pretty steep. A typical theater ticket is around $9, let's say Hollywood wants $5 for each person the movie is shown to. The airline has to pay that.

If your average domestic fare is $500, that's a 1% savings, which is significant in this business ... even more if your average fare is $400, etc.

Good, maybe I won't have to hear the repetitive US Airways cabin announcement piano jingle everytime I commute. :D

Back