Bose vs. Lightspeed

MirageCM

I'm looking into upgrading to one of these headsets because I am starting to fly a lot more. I was curious to see what people's thoughts were about the two headsets. From my own reading, I found that each has its own advantages and disadvantages. It makes for a difficult decision.

I've owned both. ANR-wise I think they are pretty equal. Eventually I went with the Zulus and sold the Bose. The shape just fit my head better. Plus, the soft-mute function when you are listening to music is priceless.

I fly with the Sennheiser HMEC460 and LOVE it, for what it's worth. I have always stayed away from the Bose due to the simple fact that it has almost zero passive attenuation, so if you ever lose battery power or suffer electronic issues you are left with a very loud headset.

I think the best thing on the market is the Zulu. It has very high end audio circuitry, is well made of high end materials, and has bluetooth as an added bonus.

Just my $.02

Got a pair of Lightspeed Zulu's. Very happy with them. I tried bose on a couple legs in the Saab 340, felt the Zulu's were the same for less $$$ and the bluetooth to the cellphone helps out a LOT when I doing writeups over the phone. Personally the Bose microphones are way to loud for my taste, too much noise.

I had lightspeed zulu and returned them. They are not TSO approved and the people at lightspeed couldn't give me a straight answer is there were going too. I didn't like when I did a run up checks there was a constant feedback in the headset. But the music quality is sick, long cross countries were my favorite, until my mp3 died.:(

What I really want is to get a Bose QC3 headset and put a microphone on it. They're small, the ANR is remarkable, and they're light.

I love my Bose, though you definitely want to bring a spare set of batteries as they do get loud when the ANR dies. Thankfully the battery life is fantastic.

I've tried the Zulus a couple of times and while they seem perfectly serviceable, they simply don't quite fit my head correctly.

I might also suggest thinking outside the "box". I have had both Lightspeed (25XL) and Bose X, and have now switched to these and won't look back.

yellow_halo.jpg

http://www.quiettechnologies.com/

They are also available in black, and no batteries are needed.

You can buy two pair of these ($359 each) for less than the cost of either a X or Zulu, and they are every bit as quiet, if not quieter!

If you don't like them you have 30 days to return them.

Another, more expensive alternative are these:

http://www.clarityaloft.com/

I've had my Bose for a little over a year now and love it. I chose the headset because I was able to borrow other people's Bose headsets to try them out before I got mine. You should definitely try each before you spend that much money on either headset. Don't just put them on your head either. You should go fly with each and see what you think provided someone will lend you theirs.

are those earplugs even good for general aviation? I would imagine that it would be fairly loud.

It would be nice to try those lightweight ones. I just upgraded from Lightspeed 30-3G to Zulu. The ANR in Zulu is simply amazing, and I love the bluetooth function too. I've never tried Bose though. I really like Lightspeed customer service, whenever I had a problem they would exchange the headset or send replacement parts, no hassle.

I have tried both, went with the Zulus. Sent them back to Lightspeed recently because the wire leaving the battery pack had to be held in a certain position to make the anr work. Also if wind hit the right ear cup, or I tapped on it, I got a loud vibration lasting a few seconds. Thankfully Lightspeed customer service is outstanding and I had them back in 2 business days. I have only had them for 10 months but they are great, go with the zulus.

Not the comparison you are looking for but... I have used the Lightspeed 20XLC for over 1700 hours and its been great. Had a mic problem once (my voice could not be heard by ATC) and the headband cracked once (just from sitting in my headset case) but both times they fixed it- no questions asked. They do make you look like Princess Leia though. The Lear I fly now has Bose X headsets and I love them. Nice fit on my head. I would never pay $1000 for a headset though so I would probably do the trade-in program with my 20XLc and get the Zulu if I was forced to buy a new headset.

I've had my Bose X or 3 years and they've been great. Recently had to send them back because the ANR was cutting out and they replaced the ear muffs, head cusion, both yokes (the service tech found some fault, I have no idea what it was), and remote for free. 5 days and they were back to me.

Several people at my company have the Zulu's and have had to return them (several times in one case) for ANR issues. The Lightspeed customer service is excellent as well, but the longevity of the Bose is legendary.

However, if you have bigger ears, the Bose may not be as comfortable, since the Zulu's have a much larger ear cuff, and therefor are a bit heavier (I think).

Passive noise reduction on the Bose is useless, however, if the batteries fail the headset still works, not the case with the Lightspeeds from what I've been told.

My suggestion is not to listen to my advice, and spend twice as much on clamps for your head.

I shouldn't say it, but the Halos really are quieter than any of the ANR "clamps", but don't listen to me, as I have only used Bose X for a few years.

Never used Zulu, but I cannot see them being such a quantum leap above Bose.

I figure for 1/2 the price and weight and 30 days to return them it might make sense to give them a shot.

After 33 years with clamps on my head I am glad I made the switch; so is my hair!

Halo or Clarity Aloft, give 'em a try, and welcome to a new world!

Passive noise reduction on the Bose is useless, however, if the batteries fail the headset still works, not the case with the Lightspeeds from what I've been told.

Batteries can fail and the Zulu works very well. Magnesium earcups. Active and Passive noise reduction is great on the Lightspeed.

Batteries can fail and the Zulu works very well. Magnesium earcups. Active and Passive noise reduction is great on the Lightspeed.

This is going to sound strange, but, I just don't like the way the zulus look. I've flown about 20hrs with them down in kodiak, I just don't like them. They were like a clamp on my head too. Bose = better as far as I'm concerned, though they do suck if you forget to pack extra batteries.

Back