BOSE Aviation Headsets

ILSstud

Does anyone have any experience with these headsets? I'm contemplating a graduation gift, and I think this would be a really nice one.
Thanx in advance,
ILSstud

What do you want to know? I love the ones I use, but then again I didn't buy them so I don't even know what they cost.

I love those things. My company "issues" them to crewmembers so I never bought them myself.

They are super comfortable and durable, too. Last month, a small tear developed on the earseal of one headset. We sent it for repair, and they sent it back with a bunch of new replacement parts - almost like new!

If your cockpit is loud, they eat thru batteries pretty quick. The newest version is supposed to have better battery life, though.

If you don't mind shelling out $1000 for a headset, go to town. I had the good fortune of being able to use the Bose for a couple of weeks while I was instructing, and they are fantastic. That having been said, you can get much the same performance and comfort from several other ANR headsets at about half the cost. Check out Lightspeed's products, and David Clarks.

My current Bose headsets are second generation, meaning not the current X version, nor the intial version that Bose delivered late, and later recalled, I remember. My wife and I slightly preferr the Bose, having used two different generations of ANR headsets from Telex, which cost much less than Bose. The Telex are (we kept them for passengers) just as quiet as the Bose, but a little heavier and not quite as comfortable. Service from both companies is very good.

One irritating fact about ANR headsets: both Telex and Bose suffer from extraneous electrical noise, such as from nearby-radar, or solid-state-dimmed panel lights when they're on at night, or solid-state voltage regulators. Your shop tech will roll his/her eyes and try to talk you out of an expensive attempt to ground and shield and filter all the stuff in your aircraft.

I have really enjoyed my Bose headset. I recently upgraded the microphone and battery pack to the latest equipment, with 40 hours of coninuous usage. I have used DC ANC headsets before, and the Bose are by far more comfortable.

The only thing about the Bose is that when your batteries run out or if you forget to turn on the ANC, the lack of ANC makes it hard to hear. They are definitely not very good passive noise cancellers, and as such you'll need to make sure you have a good battery supply.

Other than that, sound quality and the ANC are both very good, although I would say that comfort is the selling point for me.

Ray

I was looking at buying the bose headset but instead I bought a David Clarke headset, a Garmin GPS, and a motion sickness watch with the money I would have spent on one bose headset.

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing about the Bose is that when your batteries run out or if you forget to turn on the ANC, the lack of ANC makes it hard to hear

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. That always seems to happen at the worst possible times, like when you're in the pattern or when ATC is giving you a clearance!
mad.gif

I don't like hearing about these batteries...perhaps i'll just stick with my good 'ole David Clarks. Money is good to have in college right
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like hearing about these batteries...perhaps i'll just stick with my good 'ole David Clarks. Money is good to have in college right
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very petty to worry about something like that. All you have to do is make sure you change the batteries after 40-50 hours, or try this idea, bring extra batteries with you while you fly. I do and only had to use it once. It took all of 5 seconds to grab them and another 5 to change them.

[

[/ QUOTE ]That is very petty to worry about something like that. All you have to do is make sure you change the batteries after 40-50 hours, or try this idea, bring extra batteries with you while you fly. I do and only had to use it once. It took all of 5 seconds to grab them and another 5 to change them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea!

I currently use the Bose X and cannot recommend it highly enough. I second the note that they are not very good at passive noise reduction, though keeping a couple extra batteries with you pretty much eliminates worrying about that.

Numerous posts on this previously. I own the DC H10-13XLs and had a chance to take a pair of Bose Xs on a long cross-country. As I've said before, if I'd have bought the Bose then tried the DCs, I'd have been pissed at the extra $400 wasted. The Bose are a bit more comfortable, but the ANR isn't any better than DC's, plus the DCs are better built and I hate the Bose mike boom. Bottom line: if your head shape is amenable to DCs (which you'll know if you've spent more than an hour wearing a pair), don't waste your money on the Bose. If you can't stand wearing DCs, there are other alternatives to the Bose like Lightspeed or the new Telex Stratus which I've heard great things about.

If you're going to use the line from Airplane, you gotta do it right.

It goes "We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?"

And for bonus points, just what were they doing before that little line?

My LIghtSpeed 3G-20s are similar-you can barely hear anything with the ANR turned off. I'm also looking at the Bose, how do they hold up to daily heavy use (e.g., regional pilot, etc)

I agree with everyone else. Super comfortable, awesome noise cancellation, and not very good without batteries. I always keep 2 extra in my bag, just in case. Its funny because I got mine for my graduation gift also...

[ QUOTE ]
how do they hold up to daily heavy use (e.g., regional pilot, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

They do great. We brutalize them in our busy season (long hard flying days for months on end). Definitely a durable workhorse product in my experience.

My wife bought me a set of Bose last year for my birthday. One of the best gifts I ever got (besides the ride in a B-17 but that one I bought my self). I've used several other sets but nothing compares to the Bose. Expensive but well worth it.

i would have to recommend the Peltor ProGT anr. I found mine on ebay for a steal of a deal. (but marv golden has good retail deals too). and it has worked great for me and it is also very comfortable.

Kelly

Back