BOSE Aviation Headsets

As many keep saying here, the Bose are pretty useless without the ANR portion working.

The better options out there, are the best passive sets, and then add very good ANR on top of that. So, if the battery goes out, or the ANR breaks, at least you can still use the headset like a normal one.

The Telex Stratus 50-D will get you better ANR, better passive by far, and save a few hundred $$ in the process. Next down would be the mid range ANR sets from DC, Telex, Peltor, etc. As you take steps down in price, you lose a little bit of sound reduction. I think the Bose is a good choice only if you own a plane, and are going to hard wire the things in, since you have to have power for the things to do you any good. No power needed and the other quality ANR models will all keep workin'. Something to keep in mind.

Given the $1000 for the Bose, I'd buy a 50-D instead, and a nice GPS or something if you don't have one.

So you are saying that the Telex Headset will offer by far the best in ANR headsets? I'm looking to purchase a pair and price isn't that much of an issue, as much as comfort. I don’t like how some headsets just clamp on your head so tight. I get really dizzy after a while. Yeah, price is an issue, but I can always save up for the better one, whichever really. I would rather wait 3 months and save for the better piece of equipment that I think will make me happier. When I was reading about the Telex and the Bose ones, I noticed that I couldn't find the rating of the Bose Aviation X. I also spoke to a representative and he said that the latest model (released in Dec. 2003) is suppose to be the best of the best. The newer control module with left and right, battery power LED, and not a cigarette type box but a nice little cigar looking one.

I couldn't understand fully what the Telex was say by three types of noise cancellation, passive protection, analog ANR, and digital tonal ANR, in particular the digital part. Can someone elaborate? They also say that it can sense the noise in the cabin, etc.

The Bose website offers new insight into the new design model which is still called the Aviation Headset X (third gen.)

I don't normally chime in on these debates, but I was recently looking into upgrading to the Bose. I have the DC, and haven't been unhappy with it. But I was convinced that the Bose was better and was about to make the switch. It is slightly more comfortable, but the DC's don't clamp on my head like they do some people. I guess they fit me better. What I noticed in testing with friends' Bose was that the mike was constantly cutting in and out, no matter where I set the squelch or the boom. It just didn't pick me up like the DC. And as an instructor, that drove me insane. The extra comfort was nice, but it wasn't so much more comfortable that I was willing to pay another $500 for a piece of equipment that I discovered wasn't really much better. There was probably an extra decibel or two reduction and it's something like an ounce lighter, but that just didn't cut it for me. I'm sticking with my DCs.

I ended up picking these up and I can't stress enough how much I thoroughly enjoy them. I don't get any more flight headaches from the clamping of the other brands and I seem to find that the mic boom is a lot better than a lot of other ones. If you set it up right, there is nothing that can't be better?! I was always wondering if it was me getting motion sickness from the airplane. I would also have tremendous headaches after flying for 1 hour. Now, nothing. I just cruise up, cruise down and drive away. Of course, speaking PNR wise, it's not that great, but it wasn't made for that. As a strictly ANR headset, the best.

I did use the Lightspeed 20x or something and it was also pleasant, but I have to say that the difference in ANR was noticeable. The comfort and lightweight categories were also surpassed by the Bose Headset.

I want to buy another for my passengers, but shoot, I'm just a student pilot working full time to pay off this damn headset and education. Maybe sometime later whenever I end up w/ some green.
grin.gif
I definitely think that everyone should give it that 30 day test drive. I even marked my calendar for 30 days to return them, and I can't go back. just my .02.

Now that i flight instruct and wear a headset sometimes 6 to 8 hours a day, I absolutely LOVE my Bose headset. It is so comfortable, and really really light. Its also designed to not press hard against your head so you don't get a headache. Since i have to wear glasses, old headsets would push them into the side of my head. Doesnt happen with my Bose headset.

Sometimes as a reward i would let a student use my Bose headset for a flight. Just putting theirs on makes me realize how great mine truly is.

About the batteries, just carry a spare with you in your bag. It takes a whole 10 seconds to change it out if it dies. And the headset is still usable with a dead battery, so you can still talk to ATC and hear them, its just a little louder.

Back