Boom and bust, the regional jet phenomenon

WAS an agreed-upon standard.

At one point in time, the six shooter was an agreed-upon weapon of choice, but times change, as they say.

We may not like times changing, but it's the world we live in.

As for cheating, I don't disagree with you one bit. In the end, though, I find this argument analogous to the adage of wishing in one hand...

I am forced to live in the real world, and thus my approach has to be tempered with a realist view.

That being said, I think we all know where I stand ideologically, and who's bunker I will be knocking on when it hits the fan :)

I am forced to live in the real world, and thus my approach has to be tempered with a realist view.

Joey Stalin would be proud.

That being said, I think we all know where I stand ideologically, and who's bunker I will be knocking on when it hits the fan :)

The price for admission is your first born, to be raised by my sister-wives as a ranting, foaming-at-the-mouth Libertarian Gun Crazy. Look forward to your application.

Bunker? Bunker? I'm trying to figure out how many mini guns I can mount to a 65ft catamaran. Zombie proof too.

Who are you and what have you done with the angry Jtrain I know and love?

The "fine print". I don't agree or disagree with the article, just clip 'n pasting!

You'd better watch your ass next time you go parking at KPHX to commute......members of the RJDC might be waiting for you in the parking garage.

:)

Money has always been a way to keep score, once it developed as an alternative to barter. First gold, silver, spices, then paper versions of the above.

Now it's oil.

Next up: water.

Maybe Etihad is developing a contrail-catcher drogue chute to irrigate their desert.o_O

CASM has always made RJs inefficient (except when replacing smaller gauge equipment like a Saab, Dash, etc).

In my opinion that airplane was nothing but a union buster. Was designed to slip under the limits of the scope clause and has grown over time. Think about how many more major airline jobs existed in 1996 when narrowbody aircraft such as the DC9, F28, F100, 737-200, Bac1-11, BAe146 etc were on the mainline seniority list.

Today there are fewer airlines due to consolidation and fewer seats due to RJs. Seems to me that management successfully neutered ALPA by fragmenting the group, and creating a "B-scale" (or C or D...) that constantly fights one another to achieve lower costs and "earn" more flying.

The conquistadores must be very proud of themselves for successfully exploiting our fears.
Mainline pilots gladly - and knowingly - gave away scope in exchange for huge pay raises. Management didn't come up with the plan, the pilots did.

Gold has the same intrinsic value as sand.

Or said another, NOTHING has intrinsic value. Value is a social construct that is created by humans. There is no value associated with anything in a universal, apriori manner.

Unless you want to talk about numbers, very few things have value before the fact.
I would say some things have intrinsic value - for example land does, as you can grow stuff in it. Clean water does. Oil certainly does.

I agree that gold holds no value other than something to trade with, however it has long been used in that venue for what, 2,000-3,000 years? Maybe more? It's essentially the longest standing currency out there.

Mainline pilots gladly - and knowingly - gave away scope in exchange for huge pay raises. Management didn't come up with the plan, the pilots did.

Agree.

I don't dislike the RJ. I dislike the jackholes that decided for me that I "didn't want to fly it".

A pox on all their houses.

Richman

I would say some things have intrinsic value - for example land does, as you can grow stuff in it. Clean water does. Oil certainly does.

I agree that gold holds no value other than something to trade with, however it has long been used in that venue for what, 2,000-3,000 years? Maybe more? It's essentially the longest standing currency out there.

You can pretty much ignore what me and Boris are discussing, I'm taking a philosophical jab at him that has more to do with the nature of reality than applied economics.

46b2f60c-e517-f27a.jpg

I don't dislike the RJ. I dislike the jackholes that decided for me that I "didn't want to fly it".

BS. As a former DC9 pilot whose job was replaced by regional jets I can assure you that we (the junior) all but BEGGED management for the flying. The negotiating committee ripped the cover off of the Comair contract and handed it to management ... Said we want The flying. They declined.

Look at this photo. The sky darkened with an armada of RJs while my ride was parked in the weeds.

Not my choice.

46b2f60c-e517-f27a.jpg

BS. As a former DC9 pilot whose job was replaced by regional jets I can assure you that we (the junior) all but BEGGED management for the flying. The negotiating committee ripped the cover off of the Comair contract and handed it to management ... Said we want The flying. They declined.

Look at this photo. The sky darkened with an armada of RJs while my ride was parked in the weeds.

Not my choice.

I throw up in my mouth a little when our Jerry's Kids (SJS pilots) call our -900 "the -9". I'm a little biased after reading your view on the subject many times over, but reflex is genuine.

It's always hilarious to think about how much this "profession" has lost over the last decade, especially tomorrow when I get to walk around in circles protesting my companies refusal put any effort into making our paychecks correct on such a (comparatively) joke wage scale. It's not like we are asking for DC-9 rates, though I suppose some middle manager needs an extra 10k to send his kid to prep pre school.

It's always hilarious to think about how much this "profession" has lost over the last decade, especially tomorrow when I get to walk around in circles protesting my companies refusal put any effort into making our paychecks correct on such a (comparatively) joke wage scale. It's not like we are asking for DC-9 rates, though I suppose some middle manager needs an extra 10k to send his kid to prep pre school.

On the paycheck thing; happens once, it's a fluke; twice a coincidence; third and beyond becomes a trend. And there's no excuse for that on their end.

On the paycheck thing; happens once, it's a fluke; twice a coincidence; third and beyond becomes a trend. And there's no excuse for that on their end.
Third? I think we are at a bakers dozen between Pinnacle and Colgan. Mesaba and their literate staff have been running the show for us quite a while, but Pinnacle decided that wasn't good enough. Took Pinnacle 2 months to expose themselves as the inbred redneck thieves they are. Maybe only have been one month, but January I took reserve last out so I went to work 3 times (twice flying) and didn't break guarantee, so I'm a little out of the loop from the initial incompetence.

Anyway. My complaints are logged with US Wages and I have grievances filed. Anyone from Pinnacle/Colgan/Mesaba that nees the number please PM, I have it saved here somewhere.

Back