Booked my “first” lesson!

Glad you're back in it, Sean. I feel like @milleR and I are partially responsible. :)

I see that they have some other airplanes besides the 172R. Definitely get some time/checked out in a 152 - they're a hoot to fly.

I also see that they have a Skycatcher. I've never flown one, but my school has one and the people who fly it seem to like it.

Glad you're back in it, Sean. I feel like @milleR and I are partially responsible. :)

I see that they have some other airplanes besides the 172R. Definitely get some time/checked out in a 152 - they're a hoot to fly.

I also see that they have a Skycatcher. I've never flown one, but my school has one and the people who fly it seem to like it.

Actually when I was flying back in the day it was in a 152. Their 152 and 162 are at Brookhaven Airport, not Islip so probably won’t ever fly them.

And yes, you and @milleR are directly responsibly for getting me back into it! Before that flight it was something I wanted to do, but that flight is what motivated me to make it happen!

Last edited:
It’s been 19 years since my first solo and the last time I flew. Finally in a place to afford it again and have my first lesson next Tuesday! Hoping to have my ppl before the start of hunting season. Flying with Mid Island Air Service out of ISP in a C172R.
That's exactly the place I did my intro flight. Good place.

It’s been 19 years since my first solo and the last time I flew. Finally in a place to afford it again and have my first lesson next Tuesday! Hoping to have my ppl before the start of hunting season. Flying with Mid Island Air Service out of ISP in a C172R.

Congrats! But I thought you were a New Jersey guy.

Just remember your CFI will really appreciate you taking every opportunity to point out every thing he/she says that doesn’t jive with the 7110. ;)

In all seriousness have fun!

Any if any controllers in SoCal want to go flying, feel free to PM.

I tried to get checked out in a 172 and it turns out I can’t land a 172. About 9 years since I flew single engine airplanes proficiently.

So good luck!
I took a 172 up having not flown single engine in over a year, I forgot what a 10kt crosswind was like. Thank god there were no witnesses. I can't imagine what I'd have done after 9 years, besides probably involve the ntsb

I took a 172 up having not flown single engine in over a year, I forgot what a 10kt crosswind was like. Thank god there were no witnesses. I can't imagine what I'd have done after 9 years, besides probably involve the ntsb
Take-off, fine. Flying, fine. Steep turns, fine. Stalls, fine. Slow flight, fine.

Landings, SWEET MOTHER OF GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING!!?

Take-off, fine. Flying, fine. Steep turns, fine. Stalls, fine. Slow flight, fine.

Landings, SWEET MOTHER OF GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING!!?
I flew in a friend's 310 2 months ago. Everything was peachy until I did my muscle memory 145 flare. Oopsie, goodbye runway

172s are the most suck-ass planes to land in the GA training fleet.

There are far better and easier planes to land.

Yeah. I said it. Fight me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What ya talking bout Willis? The C172s were easy to land, they had those nice squeaky gear struts that made for easy smooth landings. The Cherokee was hard, oleo piston whatever gear struts.

Back