Bombed CFI oral

What parts of flight planning gave you trouble?
The order in which do fill out the nav log. I like to get my weather briefing before I choose my route. Then I plot my course. So after I had the weather, and had my lines drawn from point A to B, the problem started. I was jumping between the nav log and the aircraft performance charts. I had a terrible flow. After I spent 20 minutes getting the pressure alt figured out for the performance charts , he says I should not bother showing that process to a student who is getting ready for his x country flight, it's to much information at that stage he said. He asked me little things like why did I choose a particular power setting ? It's a simple question, but you all would laugh watching me trying to answer him. I'm trying my best but subconsciously I just don't believe in myself, or trust myself. I'm working on it though.

Alrighty then, I finally passed yesterday. 4 darn attempts, but at least it is over with.

Awesome!!! Congrats. Everything in your flying career will be easier than that check ride. Way to stick with it and accomplishing a very difficult task. Good job, CFI!

The order in which do fill out the nav log. I like to get my weather briefing before I choose my route. Then I plot my course. So after I had the weather, and had my lines drawn from point A to B, the problem started. I was jumping between the nav log and the aircraft performance charts. I had a terrible flow. After I spent 20 minutes getting the pressure alt figured out for the performance charts , he says I should not bother showing that process to a student who is getting ready for his x country flight, it's to much information at that stage he said. He asked me little things like why did I choose a particular power setting ? It's a simple question, but you all would laugh watching me trying to answer him. I'm trying my best but subconsciously I just don't believe in myself, or trust myself. I'm working on it though.
Practiced teaching this yesterday going in thinking NO PROBLEM EASY STUFF. Started talking and was like uh, well this is a little harder to explain than I thought. I got caught up in the order of teaching it as well. I have problems keeping it simple.

Practiced teaching this yesterday going in thinking NO PROBLEM EASY STUFF. Started talking and was like uh, well this is a little harder to explain than I thought. I got caught up in the order of teaching it as well. I have problems keeping it simple.
What I ended up doing to better prepare myself was practice teaching it to a non flying family member or friend. By doing this, I found the items that caused confusion, and what I should avoid teaching at that stage in their training. Now that I knew what to avoid to not cause confusion, I sat at my desk alone and went over the planning process again and again taking notes each time. Eventually, I found a nice flow. I then practiced that flow numerous times, then I practiced teaching it to a family member again. With my new and improved order system, I had a much better time teaching it. I took this new flow of mine to the oral and passed it with flying colors. This is my suggestion to you. Give this a try, If you already haven't.

Thankyou very much! I'm studying for my CFII now. It's one after another
Sounds like it's been a tough go of things with 4 attempts to pass your CFI. With that in mind, do you think it is the best idea to go right into the CFII? It sounds like some of your hurdles were in presentation and planning and that is a big part of CFII.

My recommendation is to get out there and teach, get some experience - then go for your II

Thanks everyone. My CFII was supposed to be last Sunday, but at the last moment the examiner canceled on me. To be honest, I am kind of relieved for the time being. As moxiepilot suggested above, I would rather take a breath and just instruct for a while before jumping back into the fire. So that's where I stand for now. Thanks again to all of you for your huge support, It really was a big help to me.

Glad to hear that folks here have been able to help you out. That's important. A lot of times people forget the overused cliche: it's about the journey.

Enjoy instructing. You will move on to another job in the industry more quickly than you think. It's some of the more rewarding work you will do in this industry.

Best of luck

Thanks everyone. My CFII was supposed to be last Sunday, but at the last moment the examiner canceled on me. To be honest, I am kind of relieved for the time being. As moxiepilot suggested above, I would rather take a breath and just instruct for a while before jumping back into the fire. So that's where I stand for now. Thanks again to all of you for your huge support, It really was a big help to me.

I think this is a blessing for you... I instructed for a couple (3-4) months before my CFII. Without a doubt, the CFII checkride was the easiest I've done, as it was basically just like any other day of teaching by that point.

Glad to hear that folks here have been able to help you out. That's important. A lot of times people forget the overused cliche: it's about the journey.

Enjoy instructing. You will move on to another job in the industry more quickly than you think. It's some of the more rewarding work you will do in this industry.

Best of luck
Thanks, and I will enjoy instructing, I do like to teach. And later when the time comes, I will apply for my much awaited job, flying boxes in the caravan.

I think this is a blessing for you... I instructed for a couple (3-4) months before my CFII. Without a doubt, the CFII checkride was the easiest I've done, as it was basically just like any other day of teaching by that point.
That's what I was hoping would be the case. That sounds good, thanks

I'm kind of destroyed now. The worst part to me is that some people I know studied for a couple of weeks and passed easily. When others heard who my examiner was they said, " he is so easy!" I on the other hand studied for around 6 months. I felt I was ready and so did everyone else. Well long story short, I felt like I didn't know jack . Really destroyed my confidence, bad. So I have 3 options. 1. Retake the test. 2. Just fly another 100 hours and apply to anywhere who will take me since my goal is to fly cargo anyway. 3. Go back full time to my current non avaition career and leave the flying to the people who know their . None of my friends or family want to see me not retake the test because they say i'm giving up, maybe I am but I don't want another fail on my record. As my luck would have it, there were 2 faa examiners sitting in on my oral, but I still would have failed had they not been there. I just don't want to go through that again, that was some B.S

Don't give up! Just Don't!
I have never failed a checkride, BUT I have as close to an eidetic memory as you will ever see. The hard part for me is getting over the nerves of a checkride and relaxing so my brain can do its thing.
The key is to practice on friends, and find other pilots, especially CFI's to practice on. Polish your presentation up and then call them back and get an appointment asap. Don't test the water, walk right in and if he gives you a choice of where to start, start with your worst subject so its done and out of the way early.

Good luck and knock it out of the park.

Back