Boeing's taking a shot at a double decker

It's a concept plane, patented to protect the idea. Period.

The Boeing archives are full of them. Weird and ugly predecessors to the present.

Disclaimer: Boeing stockholder (v-e-r-y small position - two seat-belts and a barf bag worth!)

I don't know. I see 380's every darned day in a lot of different liveries.

Sent from my TRS-80

Great Leader Doug said: "I don't know. I see 380's every darned day in a lot of different liveries."

Yeah, 77 380s have been delivered on 257 orders. While it makes economic sense for some users, it's also the ultimate SJS symbol, particularly for national airlines. Still having some teething troubles - wing root issues and RR Trent engine issues.

Since the first 747 was delivered in December of 1969, Boeing has delivered about 1,400 of them (their website is inconsistent - shows more deliveries than orders!) Order book is mostly freight these days - it's a mature product.

The A-380 is proving to be a looser, this one would too.

Maybe, I haven't seen any numbers, but I believe higher capacity a/c are the future. Fewer per/pax expenses than flying the same number of people on 4 737s. As flow becomes a bigger and bigger issue, reducing the number of planes in the air will be the only thing that helps (other than improving ATC technology).

Murdoughnut said...
Code:
 As flow becomes a bigger and bigger issue, reducing the number of planes in the air will be the only thing that helps

Perhaps, but think of the consequences. How many passengers will want to fly between those two airports at that time? How much additional infrastructure will be required? It will only work at a few mega-airports where lots of spokes come to hub.

Routes that used to take a 747 are now flown regularly with 75s, 76s and 77s. Increased frequency at lower seat-mile costs wins out.

Right-sizing appears to be the future.

Maybe, I haven't seen any numbers, but I believe higher capacity a/c are the future. Fewer per/pax expenses than flying the same number of people on 4 737s. As flow becomes a bigger and bigger issue, reducing the number of planes in the air will be the only thing that helps (other than improving ATC technology).

But that would mean there isn't going to be a huge pilot shortage like we hear on TV! :sarcasm:

On topic, would 2 massive engines like that really be that much better than 4 highly efficient engines? I guess the grounds I am thinking on is redundancy, if you lose 1 engine out of 4 it isn't as bad as losing 1 of your 2 engines. That is just one angle I have at looking at it. I am sure that the two massive engines could be more efficient than 4 modern efficient engines like the ones on the 748.

But that would mean there isn't going to be a huge pilot shortage like we hear on TV! :sarcasm:

On topic, would 2 massive engines like that really be that much better than 4 highly efficient engines? I guess the grounds I am thinking on is redundancy, if you lose 1 engine out of 4 it isn't as bad as losing 1 of your 2 engines. That is just one angle I have at looking at it. I am sure that the two massive engines could be more efficient than 4 modern efficient engines like the ones on the 748.
Cuts down on maintenance and spares needed.

Jeff Smisek already said he wouldn't be interested in an aircraft this big. That's one big customer already opting out. I'd say on what little market there is or was for a flying apartment complex Boeing is a little too late to the party.

A big turboprop like a Bear would be awesome, and maybe even rational in the future world of $10/gallon Jet-A.

Plus, the Bear is, by most accounts I've read, the LOUDEST mass-produced aircraft ever made. So, yeah, allright, that's what I really like.

Man, I really need to learn Russian.

A big turboprop like a Bear would be awesome, and maybe even rational in the future world of $10/gallon Jet-A.

Just need to slap a couple of these on it.

And I second you on learning the learning Russian part.

3911940542_502055b0bc_z.jpg

This picture confuses me. It seems awesome, but then the giant props also sort of look like flowers. PAINTED flowers. And that's not very Russian, is it? They should look like bloody knives. Or maybe Vodka bottles.

Back