Boeing vs Airbus and Speed Brakes

Because CC doesn't like it its automatically a bad thing.

You know, Ive flown with some guys who have done the 40-30 thing. Someguys just rerun the numbers for 40 and do that. It works. Nothing says you CANT do it... also the SFP thing, its just normal in our 800s so its not discussed.

Also, you (CC) must not have flown into MCO much when they are landing north, going to the east complex and they keep you high and fast and then dump you and say GOOD LUCK! with a 40 knot tailwind at 7000 feet 25 miles from the airport...

Then gear early.

Does your shop allow flaps with spoilers? Ours technically allows spoilers with flaps 1-10. I can't count how many guys try and do that, when gear down would clearly work a lot better for them. If you look at our Standardization Notes (which are NOT officially a controlling document) it clearly says that the intent of the flaps with spoiler is the ability to have spoilers out, calling for flaps while then retracting spoilers. The intent being, you're not breaking any limitations or rules by having spoilers out while flaps are then selected and you are putting spoilers back down. But again it's not a controlling document and I have no problem if a FO wants to use flaps 10 with spoilers out. Personally I think that's a bad technique. I don't stop em though.

Just throw the gear a little earlier. It isn't that hard.

I've landed MCO in both the A320 and B737, north and south flows. It isn't hard when you know what's coming. Just configure earlier.

I've heard the speed brakes only give you ~ 300 fpm extra on their own (200 ish in a MAX). That seems about accurate, as they don't seem to really enhance descent rate any time I've used them. What I will use them for is slowing down a little while maintaining essentially the same descent rate. This seems pretty apparent when you are in VNAV PTH, idle thrust, and it gives you the DRAG REQUIRED advisory. Because you are fast. The speed brakes are good for about only that, I've gathered.

Also for preventing an overspeed VNAV if you get them out quick enough... Looking at you SWA software...

I did hear from someone that Embraer decided to put the barber pole at 251 knots below 10k because that would be a great idea

I did hear from someone that Embraer decided to put the barber pole at 251 knots below 10k because that would be a great idea
Bombardier certified the Q400 below 10,000ft with the windshield heat off…so high speed cue went from 272kts range (if I recall correctly) at 10,000ft, to 246kts at 8,500ft. Great F’in idea…we used to have a TON of exceeded high speed cues.

Bombardier certified the Q400 below 10,000ft with the windshield heat off…so high speed cue went from 272kts range (if I recall correctly) at 10,000ft, to 246kts at 8,500ft. Great F’in idea…we used to have a TON of exceeded high speed cues.

Wonder how the Canadian Q400 geese dealt with this.....

“New York approach roger, maintain 3000 knots until advised”

Back