Boeing to Airbus Transition

There are definitely great Airbus pilots and there are definitely bad Airbus pilots. It may overall water down the spectrum compared to other aircraft types but there is most definitely a spectrum nonetheless.

Doesn't really matter how good of a pilot you are. Sometimes she gonna do what she gonna do.

Also

Miss Top of D by 10 seconds? “Better descend at 5000fpm because I’m 300 feet high, only have 120 miles to get on profile”

going to Alt Constraint 5 miles before a fix? MORE DRAG

cleared for the approach! Manages FAF ALT and presses APPR pb “I think I’ll hang out at 3647 feet for 7 miles until I decide to descend at a rate causing the airspeed to nearly overspeed Config 2, but then Alt Constraint 2 miles before the FAF and add thrust to level off”

Also

Miss Top of D by 10 seconds? “Better descend at 5000fpm because I’m 300 feet high, only have 120 miles to get on profile”

cleared for the approach! Manages FAF ALT and presses APPR pb “I think I’ll hang out at 3647 feet for 7 miles until I decide to descend at a rate causing the airspeed to nearly overspeed Config 2, but then Alt Constraint 2 miles before the FAF and add thrust to level off”
Tell me how you really feel!

scene: ATC assigns 310 knots on a RNAV STAR but comply at x waypoint
-Programs 310 and deletes speed constraints from box until the compliance fix
-manages speed
290 knots
UGH selects 310 knots
-double checks procedure speeds deleted
-checks programmed descent speed of 310
-manages speed

290 knots
UGGGGGGH FINE I’LL JUST DO IT MYSELF
Also

She certainly has her quirks, but that is where a good Airbus comes into play. The ones who understand when it is coming and intervenes prior as opposed to reacting to it. She only is going to do what she is going to do if you let her do it.

Even at the basic level, you aren’t in control of it in normal law. You can ask it to do something and the computers will decide if you get it or not. Southjets was lucky as hell that Whip Whitaker was flying a 717 and not an Airbus!
That’s why I was asking, I wasn’t sure if that’s what you were referring to.

Even at the basic level, you aren’t in control of it in normal law. You can ask it to do something and the computers will decide if you get it or not. Southjets was lucky as hell that Whip Whitaker was flying a 717 and not an Airbus!
If you're asking Fifi to do something that normal law won't do, you're likely to break something and have a TON of paperwork to fill out.

It will do what you tell it within extremely liberal parameters.

Sure, you can bank 67 degrees in an Airbus in normal law, as well as you can in a 737, but I'll bet there's a good chance the pilot of a 737 is going to screw it up and overbank it. The computers don't decide if it will honor your request, the flight control computers decide how it's going to honor your requests up to a certain limit.

And if certain things are broken which necessitate extreme maneuvering, chances are you're in alternate law without those protections anyway.

I've been flying some flavor of bus for the past 12 years (330/320/350) and I've never been in a situation where I thought, "Damn, I wish I had cables, pulleys and bellcranks"

It will do what you tell it within extremely liberal parameters.

Sure, you can bank 67 degrees in an Airbus in normal law, as well as you can in a 737, but I'll bet there's a good chance the pilot of a 737 is going to screw it up and overbank it. The computers don't decide if it will honor your request, the flight control computers decide how it's going to honor your requests up to a certain limit.

And if certain things are broken which necessitate extreme maneuvering, chances are you're in alternate law without those protections anyway.

I've been flying some flavor of bus for the past 12 years (330/320/350) and I've never been in a situation where I thought, "Damn, I wish I had cables, pulleys and bellcranks"
Not always. The old Airbii aoa probe mast would freeze up in certain situations and activate aoa protections in commanded.

Back