Boeing to Airbus Transition

jhugz

Guppy gear swinger
Thinking about doing something stupid and taking the very early NB Upgrade. I’m on the guppy right now and loathe the airplane. I was a CA on the 74/76 at my last gig so I’m not worried about the flying/PIC aspect of the upgrade (a Boeing is a Boeing even this abomination) and just have to concentrate on the company specific stuff to try and be a good CA here. Was throwing around the idea of upgrading onto the Airbus vs the 73 but didn’t want to set myself up for failure by doing a first company upgrade into an airplane I’ve never flown before. So just out of curiosity from those that have done the transition from Boeing to Airbus, how was it? Thanks!

Last edited:
I went from an MD-80 dinosaur to a 320 years ago (way worse than going 737NG to Bus). I agree with the previous poster. Its a different language and different kind of flying.
Hand flying a Bus is more akin to CWS in the 73. Go with an open mind. Your shop has a really really good training dept.

In full agreement with the two above, pretty easy transition overall and going in with an open mind and not fighting it is best. Seems the guys that say “but but Boeing!” are on the struggle bus more than others.

As far as the early upgrade, I’d be wary unless you live in base and even then being junior forever kinda sucks. Though I’ve never known anything really greater than 50% seniority, so I can’t claim to know the full benefits of such things. But commuting to reserve definitely sucks no matter where you’re at.

Thinking about doing something stupid and taking the very early NB Upgrade. I’m on the guppy right now and loathe the airplane. I was a CA on the 74/76 at my last gig so I’m not worried about the flying/PIC aspect of the upgrade (a Boeing is a Boeing even this abomination) and just have to concentrate on the company specific stuff to try and be a good CA here. Was throwing around the idea of upgrading onto the Airbus vs the 73 but didn’t want to set myself up for failure by doing a first company upgrade into an airplane I’ve never flown before. So just out of curiosity from those that have done the transition from Boeing to Airbus, how was it? Thanks!
Happy to see you’re still going after it buddy!

I have flown with quite a few people who came over to the Airbus from the 757/767, 777, MD-80 and 737. The people that struggle to most are the career FB's and FC's. Followed closely by people who think they can do better than the automation and use selected speed and/or vertical speed. Especially during a descend via arrival. When I hear "But in the Boeing" my ears perk up and I watch the PF very closely because there's a good chance they will mess something up.

I think it's an easy transition, especially if you flush everything from the Boeing and prepare yourself to be assimilated. It's true you become more of a manager in the Airbus, but I love the airplane.

Happy to see you’re still going after it buddy!

Thanks buddy. What have you been up to? Been MIA for a while but trying to lurk a little again

Your shop has a really really good training dept.

It really does. Coming from an ACMI carrier that just had a checking department, this has been a nice change of pace. I’ve skippered some big birds around the world but I’m by no means Chuck Yeager. Just trying to make sure I set myself up for success and make sure I’m not a burden on those I fly with.

As far as the early upgrade, I’d be wary unless you live in base and even then being junior forever kinda sucks. Though I’ve never known anything really greater than 50% seniority, so I can’t claim to know the full benefits of such things. But commuting to reserve definitely sucks no matter where you’re at.

Honestly, It’s gonna suck. I’m putting myself in a position where I’m going to be bidding at 100% but I need the cash flow. I love the job but first year pay was rough. Went through more of my savings I wish I did. Figure I’ll do it for two years and if it sucks I’ll bid back to FO. I’m not one of those guys that need to be a CA I’m happy enough swinging gear but got a kiddio in private school and want to keep it that way.

Thanks buddy. What have you been up to? Been MIA for a while but trying to lurk a little again
Just going to grad school and rebuilding my life! Things aren’t bad. Doing cool research, so I’m enjoying it.

Nice! You still up in ANC and what are you studying, something in Math again?
Yeah still here, bought a house so this is what we’re going to be doing for a bit. Good school for my kids.

Computer science is what the field is, ish (interdisciplinary really) my research is trying to use computer vision to try to stop the spread of invasive species on float planes around the state. Cool stuff, really enjoying it. Eyes are are slowly (slowly) healing. Don’t know that I’ll get back to the cockpit any time soon, and that’s ok.

How’s life treating you? Sounds like it’s pretty good!

Computer science is what the field is, ish (interdisciplinary really) my research is trying to use computer vision to try to stop the spread of invasive species on float planes around the state.

That sounds really cool! Plants or animals?

If you need an introduction to trying the program in another state (rotor craft based though probably) let me know.
We aren’t quite there yet but also “yes absolutely” - if we can get a decent algorithm set up to detect the plants stuck to the water rudders I reckon it’s adaptable to the helicopter skids…. I think we’re close to having something that will work reasonably well…

I am going to try to go to Hawaii over spring break - you’re still on Oahu yah? I’ll buy you a beer if you’re off.

We aren’t quite there yet but also “yes absolutely” - if we can get a decent algorithm set up to detect the plants stuck to the water rudders I reckon it’s adaptable to the helicopter skids…. I think we’re close to having something that will work reasonably well…

I am going to try to go to Hawaii over spring break - you’re still on Oahu yah? I’ll buy you a beer if you’re off.

Yep. Still around. Let me know when you're here.

Yep. Still around. Let me know when you're here.
My new category does HNL!

Funny non-sequitur story for you. Out for breakfast at some hut in Lihue. I order a Loco Moco and the cashier says in a local-sounding accent: "You know dat rice, gravy, hamburger patty, two egg and side of spam?"

"Yes"

"You sure?"

"Yes."

A couple walks up, seem native Hawaiian and orders two of the same dish I had just order: "That's $21.98"

Out for breakfast at some hut in Lihue. I order a Loco Moco and the cashier says in a local-sounding accent: "You know dat rice, gravy, hamburger patty, two egg and side of spam?"

I mean, you don't exactly look local.

• Haha
Reactions: JEP
I mean, you don't exactly look local.

roger-e-mosley-magnum-pi-1550840186.jpg

T.C. LIVVVVVVVVVES, man!

Back