Boeing signs deal with Iran for up to $25B

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Around 118 planes. 737s, 777s, 787s.

LONDON— Boeing Co Tuesday said it had signed a tentative agreement to sell jetliners to Iran, in what would be one of the Islamic Republic’s biggest deals with a U.S. manufacturer since trade sanctions on Iran were eased.

The proposed agreement, which drew swift opposition from those concerned about business dealings with Iran, comes after months of talks between Boeing and Iran Air.

“Boeing confirms the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with Iran Air, expressing the airline’s intent to purchase Boeing commercial passenger airplanes,” said the world’s largest plane maker.

Iran’s airlines have indicated a dire need for both medium-haul jets such as Boeing’s single-aisle 737 and long-haul aircraft like its 777 and 787 Dreamliners.

State-owned Iran Air on Monday said it planned to introduce 737 and 777 planes pending approval from its government and the U.S. The planes, at least partly acquired through finance leases, would include Boeing’s newest long-haul plane, the 777-9, an airline official said. The model isn’t due to enter service until the turn of the decade.

Iranian Transport Minister Abbas Akhoundi told state television on Tuesday that the pact could have a value of up to $25 billion, according to the Associated Press, roughly on par with a similar deal Boeing-rival Airbus Group SE struck with the country in January.

Completing an agreement with Iran Air could take months amid uncertainty from lenders about financing deals with Iran and the need for the U.S. government to sign off on any sale.

The transaction also would include Boeing 777-300ER long-range jets, a plane Boeing has been struggling to sell to sustain production until the replacement 777-9 is ready toward the end of the decade.

The potential plane sale isn’t without critics.

Lawmakers in the House of Representatives Tuesday moved quickly to raise the cost of any Boeing deal with Iran. One bill, sponsored by Charles W. Boustany, Jr., (R., La.), would double taxes companies owe on a deal in which the end user is based in a country designated by the U.S. as a state sponsor of terrorism, such as Iran. The proposed legislation also would eliminate the White House’s ability to waive on national security or similar grounds these provisions. (continued in link)

http://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-signs-agreement-with-iran-1466500439

Upgrade times? Bases? QOL?

Ha! With that fleet, anything has to be possible! :sarcasm:Upgrade times are the best in the industry, and only one base so the QOL is amazing! ;) Pretty sure "I wish I could live in Iran" has never formed a verbal sentence with anyone. :bounce:

Upgrade times? Bases? QOL?

Dont even bother applying. This guy and all of his cohorts got you beat hands down. I mean this guy was born to fly.....or something.

Q-313-4.jpg

That's just a movie stand in.

Their Phantom crews pay homage to USAF styling of that era...

Old school 5/P green mask and HGU-33 dual-visor helmet. Pretty cool....

I guess what I find sad is that we now essentially have no styling. Anything like that now would be deemed too aggressive and therefore offensive.

Back