Boeing IAM Strikes

Some of you people make me sick. "Uneducated?" I just got back home from visiting my grandfather up in Ohio. He spent his entire career working for Libby Owens Ford (a glass manufacturer) in their factory in Charleston, WV. By some of your arrogant and condescending rants, I would guess that you would consider him "uneducated," and therefore not deserving of a decent living. How elitist and despicable. The union that represented him made sure that he had a decent living to take care of his family (my mom included). That union made sure that he had supplemental health insurance after he retired to cover all of the ridiculous medical expenses that resulted from my grandmother's Alzheimer's disease. Without that insurance, he would be flat broke right now, and my grandmother probably wouldn't have lived as long as she did. That union provided him with a pension that has allowed him to prosper financially, even into his 80s. And all of this for just some "uneducated" factory worker from West Virginia. Was he not deserving? Are you any better than him? I think not. I think you're much worse.

I've had enough of you elitists who think you are better than some factory worker. You're no better than the janitor at that Boeing plant. You're no better than mine workers that come home dirty and sore every day after risking their lives in those godforsaken mines. You're no better than the commercial fisherman who spends months at sea under some of the most dangerous conditions that any American worker can face. Your fancy degree that you haven't even earned yet doesn't make you better than any of these people, and you certainly have no right to judge them and their desires to better their lives and careers.

Someone needs to stay far, far, far away from the airline business. I think we all know who.

Someone needs to stay far, far, far away from the airline business. I think we all know who.

Are you referring to the condescending little elitist who is about to get that vaunted :)sarcasm:) B.S. Professional Aviation degree? That pinnacle of educational achievement that makes him better than all of these worthless little factory slugs?

True they are educated in house. But the lack of a higher education elsewhere is why they don't deserve so much money.

By your definition, I'm uneducated.

I have several pilot certificates. I have training in a variety of theoretical and practical fields in order to do my job as a pilot. I'm tested, certified, and certificated. I have repeatedly demonstrated the ability to perform an involved, technical, practical skill.

... and yet, I have no college degree. Am I somehow unworthy to a seat at the negotiation table when the time comes?

You speak of labor as it were a lesser class in a feudalistic society.

A college diploma, after all, is not proof of ability to perform on the job.

It's merely proof that you checked the block in a classroom.
By encouraging the concept that people without a degree deserve a lesser stance in society as a given, you give way to universities running up the cost of a college degree. Eventually, the financial gulf will become so wide that any real earning expectations requires a degree.

At that point.. all fields, regardless of training requirements, will succumb to the concept of "Pay For Training".

It's a travesty, and is one of the reasons why the population of this country is trapped in a predatory credit-based economy.

So, my friend, be careful what you wish for.

Are you referring to the condescending little elitist who is about to get that vaunted () B.S. Professional Aviation degree? That pinnacle of educational achievement that makes him better than all of these worthless little factory slugs?

I'm not eeeeeven going to that level, but if the Boeing folks think they're not getting a fair shake, like hell I have the background to say, "Hey! You're doing just fine, get back to work!" because I don't do the work and as a son of an unskilled, union factory worker, if my pedigreed neighbor took that attitude with my father during his own contract negotiations, he might find a foot up his rump.

As a person fighting to retain a grasp on the American dream, trying to make ends meet where the cost of living is far outpacing my earning ability, health insurance premiums increasing and even putting gas in the car gives me sticker shock, hell, here's to you middle class America, fight on for better pay and benefits.

Oh, I can get down in the dirt, baby! Should have seen me unleash hell on some drunken hick at a bar that wanted to debate politics last weekend! :) I thought after I said "(expletive deleted), if you can't define the word, your drunk ass has no reason using it. Pick up a book and turn off the TV, doowitnow."

Boeing chief negotiator is in Disneyland on vacation.

Funny timing eh?

Here's what's going on at Boeing HQ:

Which is higher: the present value of the raises, or the present value of the lost revenue (bad) along with the ability to not pay upcoming late penalties because you can blame it on the strike (good).

We'll see what happens!

That was said when people were getting their panties in a wad far too often.

"Can't come to dinner, hon! I'm...I'm....I'm embroiled in a fight on an internet forum and if I just squeeze that one last snarky post in, I will vanquish him with my wit and wikipedia knowledge!!!! I swear, I'm one post away from total intellectual domination!!!"

Someone is WRONG on the internet.

My favorite when I have to close a thread or break out the user be good stick:

"I DEMAND to respond. You're... you're restricting my first amendment right to FREE speech! AMMA sue! AMMA sue!" :)

Ahh, the life of a webmaster! Facepalm city, baby!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aMRI4ZXsvzrI&refer=home

It's on like Donkey Kong!

Sept. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Boeing Co.'s extended contract talks with its largest union ended in failure, setting up a walkout slated to start at midnight that will halt aircraft production and may further delay the 787 Dreamliner.
``Despite meeting late into the night and throughout the day, continued contract talks with the Boeing company did not address our issues,'' the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers said today on its Web site. The union represents about 27,000 employees in Washington state, Oregon and Kansas who make parts and assemble planes for Chicago-based Boeing, the world's second-largest commercial aircraft maker.
The machinists rejected Boeing's proposal on Sept. 3 and voted for a strike that was to have begun at 12:01 a.m. the next day. Instead, Boeing and union negotiators agreed to a federal mediator's last-minute request that they extend the contract by two days and seek a compromise.
``We worked hard with the union and mediator,'' said Boeing spokesman Tim Healy. ``We pursued different options, but in the end we were too far apart to reach an agreement. We're open for further discussion but no talks are scheduled.''

I was listening to a story about this on NPR yesterday. The final offer from Boeing was 11% raises over 3 years. On the surface it seemed like a decent offer. Can't speak to the rest of it.

What was interesting to me was the soundbite from the local union hall. There was a meeting between the union reps and the rank-and-file workers. The rank-and-file were showing their displeasure with the union leadership. Sounded like a damn riot in there, with the rank-and-file yelling and cursing and generally raising hell. Didn't sound much like "educated" workers to me. Sounded like the stereotypical union head-busting thuggery.

There is a difference between skilled workers and educated workers. Boeing's workers are definitely skilled, but I'm not so sure about educated. The few I've met certainly weren't. However, being skilled workers, I wonder why they don't take those skills to a better paying employer.

I was listening to a story about this on NPR yesterday. The final offer from Boeing was 11% raises over 3 years. On the surface it seemed like a decent offer. Can't speak to the rest of it.

What was interesting to me was the soundbite from the local union hall. There was a meeting between the union reps and the rank-and-file workers. The rank-and-file were showing their displeasure with the union leadership. Sounded like a damn riot in there, with the rank-and-file yelling and cursing and generally raising hell. Didn't sound much like "educated" workers to me. Sounded like the stereotypical union head-busting thuggery.

There is a difference between skilled workers and educated workers. Boeing's workers are definitely skilled, but I'm not so sure about educated. The few I've met certainly weren't. However, being skilled workers, I wonder why they don't take those skills to a better paying employer.

Exactly my point.

This contract is almost exactly what they were looking for.

A wage increase of $2+ dollars an hour and a 11% increase over the life of the contract. $80 a month to their pension. Among other offerings

The one thing I don't agree with on the new contract is the medical issue. That is something I believe any and every worker should be entitled to.

I see a few people are getting a little pissy. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean you have to belittle me. Lets act like grown ups now.

Back