Boeing IAM Strike

I agree with your assessment, though I also will fault the influence of MDC for continuing to fellate the 737 into the 21st century.

I’m at least a decade late with the question, could Boeing have done a better job with the last few 37 models? It doesn’t seem that any pilot gripes couldn’t have been addressed.

I’m at least a decade late with the question, could Boeing have done a better job with the last few 37 models? It doesn’t seem that any pilot gripes couldn’t have been addressed.
From what I understand of the changed product rule I think they really could have, they just chose not to. I think the overriding design goal of the 73M was to have NO pilot training that I couldn't do from the toilet with my iPad, and that kinda pushed every other priority out of the way, to the point of "jedi mind tricking" the regulator about MCAS (direct quotation).

It's bonkers to me that the King Air 350 with the EFIS 85 and the King Air 350 with the VERY fancy BMW cursor control devices and big screens are the same type under the changed product rule. Ditto for the four or five versions of the DC-9, though at least Around Here you couldn't go D95 <-> M88 <-> 717 without a stop at the simulator IMS.

So could they? I mean, probably. Did they? Nah.

From what I understand of the changed product rule I think they really could have, they just chose not to. I think the overriding design goal of the 73M was to have NO pilot training that I couldn't do from the toilet with my iPad, and that kinda pushed every other priority out of the way, to the point of "jedi mind tricking" the regulator about MCAS (direct quotation).
1726521953198.jpeg

They could have done EICAS a la 717 from DC9, and maybe refined the overhead a bit (not sure what would have been allowed) but without redesigning the wing/landing gear the damn thing is just too long and there’s no getting around that.

I doubt a mere re-engine would be enough for the bean counters on this thing, but the fantastic capability of such a thing would make it a good long-term member of any airline’s fleet.

I fly legs as short as ATL MCO and as long as SFO BOS next month in the 757.

I feel like a re-engine would be one of the simpler engineering issues. What you get when you bring that airplane back is the wing - an amazingly good wing with a huge performance envelope. Modern (lighter) avionics and composites would go a long way on a 757 re-boot. Hell, call it something else if you want, but the basic airplane was a phenomenal achievement and, I suspect, would outclass the 737 just by adding a goddamned EICAS to it.

This could happen. They just have to want it.

Not to worry, ultra-high bypass fans will work *this* time.

Looks like not even the new A321XLR is not quite a 757 replacement. I wonder how hard it would be to (more or less) shrink a 787 design and have a short course type rating add on like the 321/330.

What are the sticking points / issues?

It ain't my contract, but to summarize their complaints about the TA, at least as I understand them:

* 25% GWI over the course of 4 years doesn't make up for the decade of wage stagnation they have felt under the present contract, and the proposed implementation schedule isn't popular
* That 25% is significantly offset by increased health care plan premiums under new proposed contract
* Work rules, if you want to call them that (like sick leave, absence management stuff, etc) were a regression
* The "we build the next airliner in WA" promise is largely hollow over the course of a 4-year contract, given Dave Calhoun's public decree that no new airplanes will be built before 2030
* They want their pensions back (I think this one is a non-starter for a lot of reasons, but they are fired up about it none-the-less)

If I had to point at one issue above the others, is the fact that they haven't received industry average pay for a very long time. Let alone industry leading.

And oh yeah, I'm just waiting for the stock price to dip into the $140's. Then I am buying a boatload more. There is no chance BA isn't a $200+/share stock in another year or two. High probability IMO that it cracks $300 or more in the next 3-4, assuming no other disasters unfold.

I made a buy at $157, I’ll make a big buy (for me) if it dips below $150. End the strike, avoid anymore Max headlines, and get the 777x out the door without any major headaches and I think things look promising.

I think it could hit $200 by the end of the year.

If that were true, which it isn’t, the market doesn’t appear to care. The duopoly you suggest hasn’t protected its stock value.

It’s not true. On the commercial side, benign neglect on the part of the government eventually hurt Boeing badly.

On the military side, Boeing’s relationship with the DOD has often been brutal. What’s the shining light on the military side other than export sales? Name a program that isn’t struggling from DOD oversight.

Oh no, won't someone please think of the poor shareholders!

Look at the financials. Absolute dumpster fire of a company. They aren’t some undervalued diamond in the rough. They’ve shown 0 signs of turning it around.

Ford doesn’t know what its sales are going to be next month, let alone next year.

Boeing has orders and contracts that extend over a decade. Sure they are bleeding cash and BAA3 looks bad. However, they are the on BAA3 company that can still borrow billions.

Many expect half of the 300 cancelled Max orders to be reinstated.

If Max stays out of the headlines and 777x has nothing more than teething pains, Boeing will bounce back.

I'm not going to do it but it would be fun to use the MAGA crowds money as exit liquidity

"Hey I heard you lost it all on Trumps rug pull coin." "Wanna see a picture of my boat?"

Rage-Comics-Troll-Face-PNG-File.png

Ford doesn’t know what its sales are going to be next month, let alone next year.

Boeing has orders and contracts that extend over a decade. Sure they are bleeding cash and BAA3 looks bad. However, they are the on BAA3 company that can still borrow billions.

Many expect half of the 300 cancelled Max orders to be reinstated.

If Max stays out of the headlines and 777x has nothing more than teething pains, Boeing will bounce back.
That’s fine. None of that means that the company is investable, but you do you.

Hey all you pilats’ jobs are covered by the NLRB oversight, yeah?

SpaceX and another company are finding friends in the good ole 5th Circuit to rule that Administrative Law Judges (and thus their administrative rulings) are unconstitutional because they cannot be fired by the president.

Probably no immediate effect on the Boeing IAM strike, but is all part of the erosion attacking organized labor’s presence.

Back