Boeing IAM Strike

Swing and a miss. Have you ever worked for a union? I haven't. Unions rarely strike because the product they're producing is junk, as far as I can tell it's normally about how these workers are being disagreeably treated in the commission of producing said product. The F150 is not only the most popular truck historically ever sold in the US it's also the most popular vehicle. The folks that build the planes up in Renton got screwed by Boeing management in their last union contract but, as I have a proclivity to remind folks, eventually the pendulum swings the other way and right now Boeing management has very little leverage and the union has plenty so they're going to flex. I don't hate unions, how could I? I've always been able to choose if and when I want to work for someone when they need my help. I do recall once at the hangar with the one who shall not be named there was scuttlebutt about a union trying to make inroads. You'd like to think it was squashed by the management, but the truth is we were treated pretty damn good and the majority of the folks on the floor told those people to go crap in their hat.
The 737 is the best selling aircraft in history, what’s your point?

I don’t disagree. When the doors stay on it’s a highly reliable aircraft though.

They just need to dial in those little details like pressure vessel parts not departing the aircraft, Cat3b certification issues, cowl ice certification issues, supply chain issues and labor issues.

I'm certain this will all be resolved in no time at all. Should have little to no impact on the delivery schedule.

Swing and a miss. Have you ever worked for a union? I haven't. Unions rarely strike because the product they're producing is junk, as far as I can tell it's normally about how these workers are being disagreeably treated in the commission of producing said product. The F150 is not only the most popular truck historically ever sold in the US it's also the most popular vehicle. The folks that build the planes up in Renton got screwed by Boeing management in their last union contract but, as I have a proclivity to remind folks, eventually the pendulum swings the other way and right now Boeing management has very little leverage and the union has plenty so they're going to flex. I don't hate unions, how could I? I've always been able to choose if and when I want to work for someone when they need my help. I do recall once at the hangar with the one who shall not be named there was scuttlebutt about a union trying to make inroads. You'd like to think it was squashed by the management, but the truth is we were treated pretty damn good and the majority of the folks on the floor told those people to go crap in their hat.

I think you have a point here, but I am failing to decipher it. Go on....

Also the media reporting on this is absolutely bananas, given how breathless their criticisms of Boeing in the last 12-96 months have been. Talk about a complete, irrational, 180 on this particular issue. They all want to complain about rising costs, how they, themselves, can't build "wealth" or whatever else, and then they are presented with a group of workers who are fighting to gain back some of that lost ground, and they just regurgitate Boeing management talking points? Is it because these jobs are beneath those college educated 20-something reporters named Skylar who infuse their impressive stories with quotes from "X" as if these were real things and real people in the real world? Or is it maybe, that they are mindlessly out of touch with the real world?

Back