Boeing 737 Sim Interview

popaviator

Hi All,

I have an upcoming interview for a corporate company which uses a B737-800 sim for their sim eval. I've never flown anything of this size. Could someone give me some advice on typical TP altitude (1,500 correct?) or power settings/pitch attitudes/airspeeds, ect.

Thanks!

They should provide you with that. All the sim evals I have heard of, they walk you through all you need to know. They just want to see you have a six pack scan and can do basic instrument flying. They don't want a check ride out of you.

If you are real serious about this job, consider going to Flight Safety, etc, and trying an hour in a 738 sim. Call around to find a place that rents by the hour but it may give you the edge you need in the interview.

It should be fine. It most likely is the only access they have to a sim and they will help you with power and everything to see if you can fly the approaches.

If you are real serious about this job, consider going to Flight Safety, etc, and trying an hour in a 738 sim. Call around to find a place that rents by the hour but it may give you the edge you need in the interview.

I didn't realize you could just go rent an hour in a big jet sim. Are these the full-motion simulators I'm picturing in my head? How much does that cost? Seems like it'd be fun diversion for a little piston driver who will never see the inside of a big jet cockpit.

They should provide you with that. All the sim evals I have heard of, they walk you through all you need to know. They just want to see you have a six pack scan and can do basic instrument flying. They don't want a check ride out of you.
Precisely.

Although one 737-specific thing (from a few interviews that used a 737 simulator) I can tell you is to keep your knee away from the control pedestal... :D

I didn't realize you could just go rent an hour in a big jet sim. Are these the full-motion simulators I'm picturing in my head? How much does that cost? Seems like it'd be fun diversion for a little piston driver who will never see the inside of a big jet cockpit.
Most places will if the price is right...it's up in the hundreds to thousands of dollars per hour the last time I looked.

There is no way in hell this company expects you to know how to fly a 737, unless the interview is for a 737 driver with previos type and experience. If they DO expect you to know how to fly a 737 sim, so you can interview for a job flying Citations, I would think twice about the job.

No 737 experience (sim or otherwise), but I wouldn't worry about it. Pitch and power, crosscheck, adjust as needed. Bigger passenger jets are very stable.

I wouldn't worry about power settings or anything. They will give you all of that. Traffic pattern altitude should also be moot, I doubt you will be visual. Most places just wanna check your scan and procedures (call for the right checklist, etc)

737-200 sim at PanAm in Miami is $300 an hour, two hour minimum

Very stable and no problem to handfly. I had rough power settings and pitch attitudes for my first 737 sim and there weren't issues. Like everyone said, I highly doubt they are looking for you to do more than fly the approaches safely and not go inverted.

The first airliner sim I ever flew was the 737NG, you'll be surprised how uncomplicated it is to just hand fly the thing and maintain altitudes and headings, I'm sure you'll do fine.

There is a 737 sim at Pan Am in Vegas available to rent... either contact them directly, or there is a 'airline captain for a day' deal through a website - just 'google it'. (My mad dog instructor there that did my ground runs/owns the whole thing as a tourist trap) But, I wouldn't sweat it... just like everyone is saying I would guess that they are looking for scan.

Hi All,

I have an upcoming interview for a corporate company which uses a B737-800 sim for their sim eval. I've never flown anything of this size. Could someone give me some advice on typical TP altitude (1,500 correct?) or power settings/pitch attitudes/airspeeds, ect.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about that.

99% of your sim work is going to be to fly an Approach, maybe hold and maybe the transition from approach to a missed.

Sent from my Colecovision Adam

There is a 737 sim at Pan Am in Vegas available to rent... either contact them directly, or there is a 'airline captain for a day' deal through a website - just 'google it'. (My mad dog instructor there that did my ground runs/owns the whole thing as a tourist trap) But, I wouldn't sweat it... just like everyone is saying I would guess that they are looking for scan.
Thanks for the tip. Interview is to tomorrow though lol.

Back