Bizarre "collision at RHV", complete with horrible media coverage!

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Planes-Collide-on-Runway-at-San-Jose-Airport-240947431.html
Two pilots and a passenger were uninjured after two small planes crashed at San Jose's Reid-Hillview Airport this afternoon, according to a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman.

A fixed-wing Piper PA-24 plane, registered to a corporation based out of San Jose, reportedly lost engine power around 4:40 p.m. while departing from a runway at the county airport located at 2500 Cunningham Ave., FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer said.

The plane struck a Cessna 172 plane, registered to a San Jose resident, that was on the ground getting ready to depart, according to Kenitzer.
0117-PlaneCollisionSJ.jpg

Ok...so...a few questions.

1) Where the hell is the piper? Hit and run?
2) Damn the media for everything being the "runway" or "tarmac". Looks like the edge of the movement area? Which brings me to number 3...
3) What the foxtrot happened, exactly? Takeoff roll+Engine out+Cessna entering taxiway=???

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

A friend showed me a close up pic of the 172...all I can say is good thing the Piper didn't hit the cabin. Some serious damage.

I got a call about this from a friend that was there, but its all very confusing. Looks like the cessna got hit right in front of where Aperture is. Did the piper come off the runway and tag the taxi'ing cessna?

What I've been told by a local pilot is the Piper was landing, lost power and directional control, hit the ground, went off-roading, hit the Cessna, came to a rest in the grass. But looking at the pics of where the 2 ended up, its hard to picture.

Okay, a friend just updated me. Sounds like the piper took off, turned right, lost the engine and turned back. he landed gear up on taxiway golf and hit the cessna. Friend told me things could have been a lot worse.

How do you lose directional control in a single engine airplane? Maybe a rudder problem?
A friend that was there said the airplane had taken off, and turned back, did a 270 and landed on the taxiway. Hit the cessna and came to rest in the grass. Didn't sound like a directional control issue.

A friend that was there said the airplane had taken off, and turned back, did a 270 and landed on the taxiway. Hit the cessna and came to rest in the grass. Didn't sound like a directional control issue.
Ya I saw your post just after I posted that. That makes more sense

I'm on the road, but the office denizens tell me that it lost power on upwind, attempted to circle, then put it down gear up on the taxiway between us and tradewinds, the CFI in the 172 saw it coming and firewalled it, and it hit just behind the cabin. Nobody hurt, miraculously.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm on the road, but the office denizens tell me that it lost power on upwind, attempted to circle, then put it down gear up on the taxiway between us and tradewinds, the CFI in the 172 saw it coming and firewalled it, and it hit just behind the cabin. Nobody hurt, miraculously.

Wow...

Row of tradewinds airplanes to my left, wingtip impact point to my right, skid marks continue for about 100 yds. This dude was lucky.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390508940895.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390508940895.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 112
Back