Bird Strike

I suppose I should have posted more. There was bird (goose) DNA found on the wing when they examined it.

UND's paper had an article about it in April. http://www.dakotastudent.com/home/i...story_id=0091a229-9507-471a-8caa-b4f5f74fd311

We had a thread on it in the UND forum, I'll try to dig it up.....here ya go. http://forums.jetcareers.com/university-of-north-dakota/53957-plane-missing.html

Wow...so sad reading that thread and the progression of it...thanks for finding...a lesson that bird strikes are very serious...:(

I'll tell you one thing. You will probably develop a slight anxiety disorder in regards to this happening again. I know I did. I get very nervous when I see a bird in the vicinity of my plane. But I convinced myself that there is really nothing I can do to prevent a bird strike, because I never even saw the bird when it happened to me. Just be prepared to handle the situation and keep your cool.

This is the first birdstrike that scared the crap out of me - for some reason we manage to hit birds all the time - no big deal, measure the dents - all within structural tolerance, wipe up the blood, board the pax and go, but these were the biggest ones we hit - turkey vultures. One ended up splattered over the pax windows on the right side.

Attachments

• UE166 001.jpg
    UE166 001.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 57
  • UE166 006.jpg
    UE166 006.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 51
Dont have pics yet, but my left wing doesnt look much different than the pictures above....

I'm not concerned at all about hitting another...If I do, than I will...Nothing I can do about it...I actually had to convince my student it wasn't his fault, as he thought because he was flying that he was responsible...Happens...nothing you can do about it....

And my position was around 3 miles outside of the delta. The more I think about it, I am very pleased with my decisions. Visible structural damage...I don't need to say anything to myself...

thanks for the reply's

I'll tell you one thing. You will probably develop a slight anxiety disorder in regards to this happening again. I know I did. I get very nervous when I see a bird in the vicinity of my plane. But I convinced myself that there is really nothing I can do to prevent a bird strike, because I never even saw the bird when it happened to me. Just be prepared to handle the situation and keep your cool.

i get anxiety when radars call out bird targets to me at night (flying a light single/twin) after having the 2 pilots at my school killed last year hitting geese at night....

keep in mind though, theres only been 11 fatalities in 8 incidents of bird strikes since 1990.

the odds of it killing you are very, very low.

still a scary thought to be hit in the middle of the night by something you cannot possibly see or avoid....

We have lots of geese at KPAO. So the management put stuffed coyotes by the runway. It worked... for about a week. There's "bird activity" in every ATIS now. Of course, when I saw them the first time:
me: "tower, there's a mean looking coyote by the runway"
tower: "yes, we put them there to scare the birds, it doesn't work anymore though"
me: "it works on me for sure"

We have lots of geese at KPAO. So the management put stuffed coyotes by the runway. It worked... for about a week. There's "bird activity" in every ATIS now. Of course, when I saw them the first time:
me: "tower, there's a mean looking coyote by the runway"
tower: "yes, we put them there to scare the birds, it doesn't work anymore though"
me: "it works on me for sure"

Sacramento International has speakers next to the runways that play the sounds of other birds like hawks. They also play coyotes and a couple others I believe.

First time I hit a bird, I started filling out the proper forms (military), and I kid you not, the form tells you to collect feathers from the bird if possible and mail them to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington for analysis. :drool:

Back