Bird strike?

I wonder why all the way to Denver if like this guy claims it was known at San Francisco take off?
Perhaps they would have spent as much time burning fuel as required to just go to DEN where it was easier to accommodate another aircraft?

Agree that the guy's drama is uncalled for - particularly in light of the legit nightmare of a door plug blasting itself off just a few weeks back.

I can’t believe this Commie crew would risk the lives of all these “unsuspecting people” shame…unsafe!…cowboys…idiots…shame….!!! :sarcasm:

@Cherokee_Cruiser in 10…9…

I saw that video earlier and I'm confused regarding how that damage happened. Slats are normally fairly robust for a reason, they're the leading edge of the wing and they move. Did this airplane hit some birds?

They were probably somewhere over WY before someone opened a window shade and thought “ oh my stars and garters! “.

LOL, never heard the garters part before, ha'
I was just going by what the dude filming said, of course the structure is likely forward of the affected area, but I would think considering the possibility of the horizontal getting a black eye, (It certainly does not look like it's a risk) and abundance of caution would have suggested something other than DEN. Just because usually it seems the worst case scenario drives the decisions.
But maybe the flight deck never got anything beyond a description, or similar failure on other airframes had a base of knowledge that led to approval in flight to go to DEN? I dunno, I don't fly 121 so not sure how that would all unfold.

LOL, never heard the garters part before, ha'
I was just going by what the dude filming said, of course the structure is likely forward of the affected area, but I would think considering the possibility of the horizontal getting a black eye, (It certainly does not look like it's a risk) and abundance of caution would have suggested something other than DEN. Just because usually it seems the worst case scenario drives the decisions.
But maybe the flight deck never got anything beyond a description, or similar failure on other airframes had a base of knowledge that led to approval in flight to go to DEN? I dunno, I don't fly 121 so not sure how that would all unfold.
I’m sure after any memory items, QRH, and follow on checklists, maybe a walk back to take a look, or an FA taking a picture to show the determination was made wheather or not it was a land as soon as possible, or land as soon as practical situation, icing conditions enroute, in the descent and approach were probably a consideration too ( I’m not familiar with the type, but maybe the damaged area could affect anti ice for the wing in that side ).
Then there was likely plenty of communication with company MX ( and they were probably on the phone with test and engineering people at the aircraft manufacturer ), safe, usable airports with MX and the ability to reroute passengers on different flights, or have an airplane that could get them to their destination with a reserve crew available.
Lots of moving parts and people to help!
🙂

Back