Bidding 101

True. But you can get a lot of the same things you want without shrinking the pool of pairings. Avoids can work, but I generally never used them.

The only thing I've been told to use Avoids for is either stand-ups or specific Captains that you do not want to fly with. I'm guessing those specific use cases are good for it.

Our scheduling committee has been sorta helpful for us new people in that "Here's a sample of what your bid should look like" is something we can mimic, but I really wish there was more instruction in how to get what you want from PBS. The logic isn't cut-and-dried (like, the fact that it apparently will not go into deny mode WITHOUT an Else Start Next parameter) and I find that the only way I learn stuff like this is by emailing and asking questions each month. It's learning by drip-campaign and it's frustrating.

Like, I'm *just* senior enough that I seem to be getting days off that I want even though I'm a reservist, but I'd like to figure out how to maximize those, or figure out how to bid to string them the way I want....these are all mysteries.

The only thing I've been told to use Avoids for is either stand-ups or specific Captains that you do not want to fly with. I'm guessing those specific use cases are good for it.

Our scheduling committee has been sorta helpful for us new people in that "Here's a sample of what your bid should look like" is something we can mimic, but I really wish there was more instruction in how to get what you want from PBS. The logic isn't cut-and-dried (like, the fact that it apparently will not go into deny mode WITHOUT an Else Start Next parameter) and I find that the only way I learn stuff like this is by emailing and asking questions each month. It's learning by drip-campaign and it's frustrating.

Like, I'm *just* senior enough that I seem to be getting days off that I want even though I'm a reservist, but I'd like to figure out how to maximize those, or figure out how to bid to string them the way I want....these are all mysteries.
Does your company have a bid transparency report? I’ve learned from that by going back and seeing how people, both senior and junior, are bidding to get certain schedules. I’ve also had good luck conversing with captains on how they bid or what they bid and their methods.

Does your company have a bid transparency report? I’ve learned from that by going back and seeing how people, both senior and junior, are bidding to get certain schedules. I’ve also had good luck conversing with captains on how they bid or what they bid and their methods.

Kind of - we can see what people were awarded, but not the underlying bid logic. I can see what you got, but not why. Still, it's not too difficult to at least glean some patterns from it.

But it's all academic, right? I'm a reservist. I can get weekends off right now, but that's about it. I just filed a LIP for next month so even though I have weekends off in May (at present) that's all gonna get changed if I get a build-up or composite line. Which is fine; my goal is to fly and sharpen the axe, so to speak.

Same here. The vacation overlap alone turns a week of vacation into 3 for even the most junior pilot. This group will never entertain PBS.
If negotiated properly that can be kept. You don't have to include vacation in the bid process and then apply it after.

I don't really see a management group going for that though.

In case you are line bidding, this is my advice during year 1: line 1-[the last one]. I've seen people try and game it, get picky and get no line, or "downbid" to open flying lines but end up back on reserve instead. I'll caveat that with the fact that I do prioritize the lines that I could hold within reason, and then all the others in numerical order. Somehow I think even this is probably wasted time. End result would probably be no better quality if I just bid line 1-450 in order. I'm sure the calculus changes dramatically a few years in. I also think that other places have more nuance, such as my UPS bud described. But he's smart and cares enough to really play the game.

Nooooooooooo!!!! *me trying to catch the new hire falling off a cliff of red eye flying.

I spent a month with one of my mentees trying to get him off of an all red eye line. Because he bid 1-452 for December. It was for December flying so we fixed it all. That wouldn’t be possible now.

He lives in base so pick your poison and all. Anyway he didn’t want red eyes and that’s the bottom 25-30% of our lines in SEA.

So we learned about bidding for what you can live with and planning on reserve but hoping for better. Commuters and people who hate being on call and would rather have a red eye line ok I get it it’s not the same calculus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nooooooooooo!!!! *me trying to catch the new hire falling off a cliff of red eye flying.

I spent a month with one of my mentees trying to get him off of an all red eye line. Because he bid 1-452 for December. It was for December flying so we fixed it all. That wouldn’t be possible now.

He lives in base so pick your poison and all. Anyway he didn’t want red eyes and that’s the bottom 25-30% of our lines in SEA.

So we learned about bidding for what you can live with and planning on reserve but hoping for better. Commuters and people who hate being on call and would rather have a red eye line ok I get it it’s not the same calculus.

That's good stuff, thanks! So between PLC and SC, what would be your pick? As you mentioned, the only lines I've gotten so far have been mostly day (night) 1 redeye transcons, followed by a slow return to regular hours flying during day 2 and (if included) day 3. That was for primary lines. Prior to that, I had a month of an OF line, which actually wasn't too bad. I'm not really sure that this bid's OF lines were a whole lot worse than the ones previously, though I've heard predictions that they will be the worst of the worst and it would be better to just bid reserve until I can hold a decent primary line.

That's good stuff, thanks! So between PLC and SC, what would be your pick? As you mentioned, the only lines I've gotten so far have been mostly day (night) 1 redeye transcons, followed by a slow return to regular hours flying during day 2 and (if included) day 3. That was for primary lines. Prior to that, I had a month of an OF line, which actually wasn't too bad. I'm not really sure that this bid's OF lines were a whole lot worse than the ones previously, though I've heard predictions that they will be the worst of the worst and it would be better to just bid reserve until I can hold a decent primary line.

One of my classmates from new hire said it only took a few hours for the only trips left in open flying to be red eyes during third step.

I live 35 minutes from the airport so SC is fine with me. Hopefully AM because there is no traffic then.

I’ll be 8th from the bottom for a while so we shall see what I wind up with.

kids will be kids.....if the city would just build a rec center or something where young adults could hang out this wouldnt happen.... On a side note, I never understood paying paying for a car and then beating the daylight out of it....

kids will be kids.....if the city would just build a rec center or something where young adults could hang out this wouldnt happen.... On a side note, I never understood paying paying for a car and then beating the daylight out of it....
98.97% chance they are stolen. Auto theft is crazy in that town.

Reactions: JEP
Kind of - we can see what people were awarded, but not the underlying bid logic. I can see what you got, but not why. Still, it's not too difficult to at least glean some patterns from it.

But it's all academic, right? I'm a reservist. I can get weekends off right now, but that's about it. I just filed a LIP for next month so even though I have weekends off in May (at present) that's all gonna get changed if I get a build-up or composite line. Which is fine; my goal is to fly and sharpen the axe, so to speak.
Gotcha, at least you’ll be able to see if what you’re wanting is feasible at your seniority. Unfortunately, it’s a slow process of trial and error to figure out what strategies work/don’t work, and then more trial and error as you get more senior and have the ability to be more picky. Good luck!

This is gonna make me sound like an ass, but I’m kinda glad the Airbus is getting redeyes to EWR, LIR, IAD, and JFK. Good. I remember a couple senior guys I used to fly with before ALPA passed who were against ALPA, against reserve rule improvements, and said why would they care about redeyes because “they’ll never do redeyes again.”

LOLz.

Back