Best watch for aviation?

Save your money for beer.
Best post I've read since joining the site!!!

Honest to god there was a guy that would show up and fly that wore a nomex type flight jacket, had a knee-board, Ray-Ban aviators (with the case strapped onto his belt of course) and a HUGE Breitling watch. His preferred mount? An 85hp Ercoupe of course. He could really tell some war stories too...that Ercoupe was a hairy-beast of an airplane I guess. One time he was pontificating about his latest feat of airmanship when Ted (the old guy that did freelance CFI stuff and sat on the FBO couch and didn't say much, talk much about his background, etc) pipes up and says "I did a full tour in the Pacific in Hellcats and don't have as many hairy moments as you do flying to LaGrange for Chicken-Fried Steak in a plane with no rudder pedals. Maybe you are doing something wrong?" The guy was demonstrably more quiet after than and I don't think Ted spoke again for another week.
Oh wait, this one might have it beat.

Best watch, similar t G-shock, also from Casio, with 2 timezones displayed at the same tim, 10 yr battery, phonebook if you care: Casio Databank http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Databank/DBW30D-1AV/

This watch looks pretty damn good. Thanks for the suggestion!

WacoFan said:
Honest to god there was a guy that would show up and fly that wore a nomex type flight jacket, had a knee-board, Ray-Ban aviators (with the case strapped onto his belt of course) and a HUGE Breitling watch. His preferred mount? An 85hp Ercoupe of course. He could really tell some war stories too...that Ercoupe was a hairy-beast of an airplane I guess. One time he was pontificating about his latest feat of airmanship when Ted (the old guy that did freelance CFI stuff and sat on the FBO couch and didn't say much, talk much about his background, etc) pipes up and says "I did a full tour in the Pacific in Hellcats and don't have as many hairy moments as you do flying to LaGrange for Chicken-Fried Steak in a plane with no rudder pedals. Maybe you are doing something wrong?" The guy was demonstrably more quiet after than and I don't think Ted spoke again for another week.

I gotta agree... One of the best aviation stories I've ever heard!

Don't be silly, Mike...Ray Bans???;) C'mon, Serengeti's are all the rage now that say "I'm a Pilot" without even uttering a word!:crazy:

BTW, my license plate does say "My other car is a....." Is that sooo wrong?:sarcasm: Maybe a cry for attention? Small peepee syndrome? :D

My personalized plate says "314 LOT" it looks subtly like a non-personalized plate, but I get to let out a subdued cry for attention with it.

To echo what others have said, buy something cheap that works. If I read your career-progression correctly, you're not going to be needing zulu time anytime soon.

Eh...Flight Service has gotten pretty anal about all times given to them in zulu, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster knows how many times I've eff'ed that simple conversion up.

And further: If you buy any "flight bags" from Sporty's or other nerd-predators, you might as well just get "tool-bag" stenciled on it rather than your initials.

I used to be pretty geeked on flight bags, now my daily carry is a repurposed Eddie Bauer toiletries bag. It's not padded, but it's otherwise perfect for carrying my headset and what few other necessities I fly with.

lol...it's all good clean fun! To answer your question though, the Casio G-Shock I got issued in the AF 13 years is still going strong....just needed a new band and a new battery, but gtg!

I've needed to replace the battery, band, and bezel in mine. Still works great, though.

I used to be pretty geeked on flight bags, now my daily carry is a repurposed Eddie Bauer toiletries bag. It's not padded, but it's otherwise perfect for carrying my headset and what few other necessities I fly with.

I get a lot of whale-eye looks when I show up with my green helmet bag that has my headset and kneeboard in it!

This is the best one eva....

watch.JPG

I'll sell you mine..... ;) It's a nice watch who cares about the 'aviation' part of it.

In case anyone is curious...

I went out to a few stores and found a Casio I liked at Kohls. It is not a G-Shock; it is model WVA430DJ-1A in the Waveceptor series.

wva430dj-1a_large.jpg

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Waveceptor/WVA430J_Series/product/WVA430DJ-1A/

I really like it thus far. Solar power, syncs with the atomic clock in Ft. Collins, multiple time zones, timer, and 3 alarms. It was about $130 after tax. I especially like how it looks somewhat classy but retains the functionality of a digital display. So far it is exactly the type of watch I was seeking.

Again, thank you for all the suggestions!

Back