Best watch for aviation?

I find it somewhat comical when I see posts (usually from newly minted pilots)asking about what "aviator" watch or "aviator" sunglasses one should buy. Is there really a particular type of watch or sunglasses, or whatever, one should buy that says, "look at me I'm a pilot..really!" That's what they're really asking.:rolleyes:

Truthfully, a $20 Timex would do you just as well as a $10k Rolex or $20K Breitling..probably better. If you're on a budget..buy cheap! I'll admit, I have a weakness for Breitlings because I think they look nice not that they keep time better than anything else. The Timex would be sufficient for most of my needs. The E6B function? In a word..WORTHLESS! My eyes aren't good enough to see it and I forgot how to use it anyway...besides, that's why I have 2 FMC, 2 GPS, 3 IRS's and one F/O!

I also like my Citizen eco-drive because it tells me the zulu time since everything in my job deals in "Z" time and I'm really too stupid to figure it out on my own most of the time. Plus, I don't have to worry about changing the batteries. :crazy:

Whenever I talk to crew sched or a dispatcher I miss most of the conversation since I'm too busy trying to figure out or converting the "z" time in my head when I don't have my Citizen. Still remember the new scheduler who called the crew in ANC and asked them what the "z" time was where they were! Huh?:laff:

Anywho, buy what you can afford.

You are now on my list of everyday heroes.

Long story short, I think I'm deciding between a Timex Expedition or a Casio G-Shock. Anyone care to make a case for either one?

Timex Expedition.
1) I have used it in domestic and international serivce
2) You can see two time zones
3) Under $20
4) I've had it since about '04 and have yet to replace the battery

When I fly I wear the G-Shock GW5600. Any of the G's will do just fine. The atomics and solars are probably the best. I get 29 time zones, atomic-sync every day, and never have to change a battery. Plus, I can bang it with a sledge hammer and not hurt it.

A114-hero-001.jpg

Have ZULU time in the digital part and normal time on the hands. I think it may be more than 100 bucks though, I got it for a gift. Its a Nixon Super Hero SS.

In a plane that requires switching tanks, I always enjoy a vibrating watch. Looks like Timex is making one now, not sure who makes mine.

I find it somewhat comical when I see posts (usually from newly minted pilots)asking about what "aviator" watch or "aviator" sunglasses one should buy. Is there really a particular type of watch or sunglasses, or whatever, one should buy that says, "look at me I'm a pilot..really!" That's what they're really asking.:rolleyes:

LOL

I see what you're saying, but dont be too hard on the guy. We were all there at one point. I still remember looking through sporty's magazine..."Ohh, I need a HUGE flight bag with my initials on it" :)

Its just a cool and exciting time for someone to get there license, they just want to look the part.

My wife bought me a Citizen Navihawk when I got my private and I never wear the thing anymore. Its my favorite watch, because it signifies a big day in my life and we were dirt poor so she had to save up to buy it for me. The truth is, it is just too heavy and there is no backlight.

I wear a $20 Timex with a velcro band. Its a real comfortable watch and very practical. It would also be great for your instrument training because it has a stopwatch feature so you can just strap it around your yoke to time approaches, holding.....

LOL

I see what you're saying, but dont be too hard on the guy. We were all there at one point. I still remember looking through sporty's magazine..."Ohh, I need a HUGE flight bag with my initials on it" :)

Yea, I know. I was the same way.:p I just get a mental picture of some young newly inked private pilot strutting through the FBO with his chest puffed out, a BIG world-timer watch, a Sporty's Pilot ball cap and matching shirt whilst carrying a clip board along with the requisite stopwatch attached. He's on his way to do touch/go's in a C152 on a beautiful clear day. Kinda reminds me of my early days. I thought all that STUFF was a requirement. You know, you had to look the part.:D

Nowadays, I do everything possible (except for hanging around here) to keep my flying a secret around the general public. The neighbors don't think I ever work (that's cause they're asleep when I'm working) and my daughter thinks all I do is push buttons for a liv'n. I'm a rank amateur compared to her button push'n veracity on her cellphone.

The wife and I were in a store looking for ceramic tile last year. I happen to be wearing jeans and flannel shirt, you know, working man's clothes, plus I happen to be wearing my Citizen ego-drive Navihawk. After a couple minutes working a great deal with the salesman he looks at me and says, "You a pilot..do you fly for UPS?". I thought, YHGTBSM..thinking my sweet deal $$ just came to an end but thinking it's probably because I must exude the aura of an Airline Captain...right?!?:rolleyes: I asked how he came to that conclusion and he says, "The watch gave it away.." and his brother-in-law who's an airline pilot has the same watch.:banghead::D I guess it wasn't my swashbuckling debonair self assured chick-magnet attitude after all.:cwm27:

Oh well....I think I need to get me one of those Sporty's Pilot Shop bags. You know, to carry my big E6B computer and clipboard!

I'm leaning toward the G-Shock, but the Timex is a bit more affordable and should work just as well.

I like the idea of the vibrating alarm for fuel management, but it seems like it would eat the battery.

I think I'm going to hit up a store today and try a few. See how I like the different styles and levels of functionality.

To echo what others have said, buy something cheap that works. If I read your career-progression correctly, you're not going to be needing zulu time anytime soon. Second hand is definitely nice since you're liable to need to time some approaches in aircraft with clocks that no one has noticed for years don't work.

And further: If you buy any "flight bags" from Sporty's or other nerd-predators, you might as well just get "tool-bag" stenciled on it rather than your initials.

My flight bag is a backpack, my clipboard is one I uh "appropriated" from a previous employer with "Discrepancies" stenciled on it, my watch is an $80 Invicta (self-winding...saves on batteries), my headset is 15 years old, and my flashlight was $7.99 at Wal-Mart (solar-powered, screw batteries!). They all work fine.

Save your money for beer.

To echo what others have said, buy something cheap that works. If I read your career-progression correctly, you're not going to be needing zulu time anytime soon. Second hand is definitely nice since you're liable to need to time some approaches in aircraft with clocks that no one has noticed for years don't work.

And further: If you buy any "flight bags" from Sporty's or other nerd-predators, you might as well just get "tool-bag" stenciled on it rather than your initials.

My flight bag is a backpack, my clipboard is one I uh "appropriated" from a previous employer with "Discrepancies" stenciled on it, my watch is an $80 Invicta (self-winding...saves on batteries), my headset is 15 years old, and my flashlight was $7.99 at Wal-Mart (solar-powered, screw batteries!). They all work fine.

Honest to god there was a guy that would show up and fly that wore a nomex type flight jacket, had a knee-board, Ray-Ban aviators (with the case strapped onto his belt of course) and a HUGE Breitling watch. His preferred mount? An 85hp Ercoupe of course. He could really tell some war stories too...that Ercoupe was a hairy-beast of an airplane I guess. One time he was pontificating about his latest feat of airmanship when Ted (the old guy that did freelance CFI stuff and sat on the FBO couch and didn't say much, talk much about his background, etc) pipes up and says "I did a full tour in the Pacific in Hellcats and don't have as many hairy moments as you do flying to LaGrange for Chicken-Fried Steak in a plane with no rudder pedals. Maybe you are doing something wrong?" The guy was demonstrably more quiet after than and I don't think Ted spoke again for another week.

One of the big issues were having at our airline right now is looking the part and being professional. On the list of no no's was using a backpack for a flight case. I'm not saying you should spend $$$ for one, or have to wear a rolex, or anything like that, just make sure you don't look like you came out of high school last year and are still using your Jansport. And again, this isn't directed at you, you just brought up a issue that our mgmt is heavily pushing right now.

One time he was pontificating about his latest feat of airmanship when Ted (the old guy that did freelance CFI stuff and sat on the FBO couch and didn't say much, talk much about his background, etc) pipes up and says "I did a full tour in the Pacific in Hellcats and don't have as many hairy moments as you do flying to LaGrange for Chicken-Fried Steak in a plane with no rudder pedals. Maybe you are doing something wrong?"

That might be the best aviation story I've ever heard. I fear that Ted has likely passed out of this mortal coil, otherwise it might be time to start a cult. Ted #1.

One of the big issues were having at our airline right now is looking the part and being professional. On the list of no no's was using a backpack for a flight case. I'm not saying you should spend $$$ for one, or have to wear a rolex, or anything like that, just make sure you don't look like you came out of high school last year and are still using your Jansport. And again, this isn't directed at you, you just brought up a issue that our mgmt is heavily pushing right now.

Yeah, one of the nice things about Freight is that arriving on your motorcycle looking like you just rolled out of bed (because you did) wearing a hoodie and a three-day beard is "looking the part".

That might be the best aviation story I've ever heard. I fear that Ted has likely passed out of this mortal coil, otherwise it might be time to start a cult. Ted #1.

Ted is passed now. He wasn't so much like a father to me...perhaps more of the dirty minded crusty uncle I never had though. I was the line-boy/slave at the FBO working on my pilots license and he was always around. Good guy, smoked nasty cigars. Brought donuts on Saturdays and once in a blue moon you could get him to tell war stories. Great guy.

Yea, I know. I was the same way.:p I just get a mental picture of some young newly inked private pilot strutting through the FBO with his chest puffed out, a BIG world-timer watch, a Sporty's Pilot ball cap and matching shirt whilst carrying a clip board along with the requisite stopwatch attached. He's on his way to do touch/go's in a C152 on a beautiful clear day. Kinda reminds me of my early days. I thought all that STUFF was a requirement. You know, you had to look the part.:D

Nowadays, I do everything possible (except for hanging around here) to keep my flying a secret around the general public. The neighbors don't think I ever work (that's cause they're asleep when I'm working) and my daughter thinks all I do is push buttons for a liv'n. I'm a rank amateur compared to her button push'n veracity on her cellphone.

The wife and I were in a store looking for ceramic tile last year. I happen to be wearing jeans and flannel shirt, you know, working man's clothes, plus I happen to be wearing my Citizen ego-drive Navihawk. After a couple minutes working a great deal with the salesman he looks at me and says, "You a pilot..do you fly for UPS?". I thought, YHGTBSM..thinking my sweet deal $$ just came to an end but thinking it's probably because I must exude the aura of an Airline Captain...right?!?:rolleyes: I asked I he came to that conclusion and he says, "The watch gave it away.." and his brother-in-law who's an airline pilot has the same watch.:banghead::D I guess it wasn't my swashbuckling debonair self assured chick-magnet attitude after all.:cwm27:

Oh well....I think I need to get me one of those Sporty's Pilot Shop bags. You know, to carry my big E6B computer and clipboard!

All of this is hilarious! You need to write your own blog or something and have it posted on here haha.

You forgot the Ray Bans, with the brown case securely attached with the pants belt threaded through them. Also the front license plate (for states that don't have one required) that says "FLY", and the rear plate frame that says "My other car is a ....."

Same here! With my contract firetruck parked out front, everyone thinks I do that full time, and no one's aronud when I leave in uniform anyway....being night worker too.

You forgot the Ray Bans, with the brown case securely attached with the pants belt threaded through them. Also the front license plate (for states that don't have one required) that says "FLY", and the rear plate frame that says "My other car is a ....."

Don't be silly, Mike...Ray Bans???;) C'mon, Serengeti's are all the rage now that say "I'm a Pilot" without even uttering a word!:crazy:

BTW, my license plate does say "My other car is a....." Is that sooo wrong?:sarcasm: Maybe a cry for attention? Small peepee syndrome? :D

And to think, this all started because I used the phrase "aviator watch"...

:panic:

lol...it's all good clean fun! To answer your question though, the Casio G-Shock I got issued in the AF 13 years is still going strong....just needed a new band and a new battery, but gtg!

Back