Best sunglasses for flying?

None, I haven't found a pair yet that fits comfortably under my David Clark 13.4 headset.

I think polarized sunglasses make a big difference. It's much easier to see clouds off in the distance with polarized lenses. Sport sunglasses seem to fit the best under a headset too. A great pair of sunglasses are the polarized Oakley's. They are a little expensive though, so just get someone to buy them for ya!
smile.gif

Thanks for the Flight Info link. I was considering Randolph's with the gray lenses but most folks seem to recommend cheap comfortable shades.

For what it's worth you're not 'supposed' to wear polarized lenses because some windshields are already polarized, and if you look through them you could see that rainbow oil slick pattern that could supposedly block your view of an oncoming plane...

I dunno if there's any truth there but it does make sense.

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth you're not 'supposed' to wear polarized lenses because some windshields are already polarized, and if you look through them you could see that rainbow oil slick pattern that could supposedly block your view of an oncoming plane...

I dunno if there's any truth there but it does make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, lol, I guess if you're flying a brand new Citation X you would have a polarized windshield, but I don't think any of the 172s, archers, or 152s used for training have polarized windshields. Maybe polarized windshields come equipped standard with 152 ashtrays
grin.gif
, but I don't think so. Thanks for the tip though; definitely something to think about it in the future.

I had an awesome pair of shades I picked up off a rack at CVS for like $12... pretty stylish, they blocked out the sun wonderfully, they wrapped around my eyes to give my peripheral vision shade too, and they fit comfortably under every headset I ever wore.... and then some guy dropped them to the bottom of Lake Lanier off our boat
mad.gif

I heard the polarization wipes out certain LCD/Elctro-gasseous displays (makes them unreadable) and that they cut the glare down which make spotting traffic difficult (you usually catch traffic with a glare off the wings/fuesalage).

I wear Transitions - the photosensitive lenses - and they tend to work just fine. I used to wear a pair of prescription Ray Bans but got tired of switching between the sun glasses and my regualr glasses.

I use clip-ons that came with my prescription glasses, i have about a half dozen pairs as I tend to loose them and Wal-mart has replacement ones that are close enough.

They are all polarized, just like car windshields, which is kinda neet, because I can see the polka-dots in the glass, unless I tilt my head then they disappear... what did you want me to do when I am stuck in traffic?

I like the clip ons because there are times where the adjustment into the cockpit to the outside is pretty significant.. the down side to polarizing is LCD gauges are hard to read, but then I just unclip them and pop em in a pocket. And can see fine.

If you don’t need glasses everyday, then just get something dark enough that you can still see the instruments and panels, but the girls can’t tell if you are looking at them, skip the mirrors that is real gay…

No Man! Aviators! Gotta get the roundest lenses you can find too!

Actually, I have Oakley's, mainly because I love how nicely they 'shade' without distorting colors, etc. I know the polarization won't be good with LCD's and stuff, but you have to realize, not many of the planes I train in have LCD screens! Plus, they don't seem too bad, I've been able to see many polarized displays just fine, with only a little obscurement. So far, when I've been flying, I've been able to pick out traffic before anyone else, even when they don't wear any sunglasses so I'm not sure how acurate the comment is about polarized glasses causing you not to see the other traffic due to reeduced glare. To me, it seems to cut down the glare from lights, not from reflections.

SERENGETI - you'll pay a week's paycheck for them but I see better with them on (even on a cloudy/dreary day) than without. No headset problems.

I have a pair of Ray Ban polarized with the tan lenses. I seem to spot traffic better with this color lens as it blocks out the blue light. They have very thin frames that fit nice under the headset. As far as polarization goes, we have the Garmin 430's in our planes and I never had any trouble seeing the display. I'll worry about that when I get to an all glass airplane!

The Turk.

I second Serengetti (sp?)

They are monochromatic which allows you to wear them in lower light levels such as dwn/dusk/cloudy days. I bought them to replace my polarized glasses b/c the lenses blocked out the GPS screen (on a C172) if your head was tilted at certain angles...so yes, you can fly something other than a Citation and have problems. I also wear a David Clark and the Serengetti's fit alot better than anything else I tried on...I think they were like $100.

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/

I've used the Oakley "Minute" sunglasses for the past 4 years. In fact, I just replaced my old pair with a new pair today! I absolutey love the "Minute" because they confrom to your face, are lightweight, fit great under the headsets, and give you great vision. I have never had any trouble finding traffic or having trouble seeing anything. They run around $95 but I have used my last pair for over 4 years without any problems. They've been through many many airshows, flights, long drives, etc. and are the best sunglasses I have ever owned. Definately recommend the Oakleys if you've got some extra cash.
Also - if you have difficulty with sunglasses fitting with your headset, just make sure you have the gel ear seals and that should solve the problem.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"Well, lol, I guess if you're flying a brand new Citation X you would have a polarized windshield, but I don't think any of the 172s, archers, or 152s used for training have polarized windshields."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh THAT explains a lot!!!
grin.gif

Back