Best sunglasses for flying?

I use a pair of Smith sunglasses that I bought at a sporting goods store. They did a great job for my athletic endeavors so I figured I'd just use them for flying, and they do just fine.

[ QUOTE ]
I've used the Oakley "Minute" sunglasses for the past 4 years. In fact, I just replaced my old pair with a new pair today! I absolutey love the "Minute" because they confrom to your face, are lightweight, fit great under the headsets, and give you great vision. I have never had any trouble finding traffic or having trouble seeing anything. They run around $95 but I have used my last pair for over 4 years without any problems. They've been through many many airshows, flights, long drives, etc. and are the best sunglasses I have ever owned. Definately recommend the Oakleys if you've got some extra cash.
Also - if you have difficulty with sunglasses fitting with your headset, just make sure you have the gel ear seals and that should solve the problem.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I couldn't agree more on the minutes being a GREAT pair of sunglasses. But they fit like bricks underneath a headset. What kinda headset are you using? If I had to guess by your pic, Id say denali's.

Currently I use a pair of $40 eddie bauer av goggles that I got on sale. They have thin wires which fit nicely under a headset but I HATE AV GOGGLES. Oh I wish there were a pair of regular looking sunglasses that
1. Don't cost a kizzyjillion dollars.
2. Fit nicely under a headset

That would be the day.

Ray Bans. I have a pair of aviators that I've had for years. I really need to get a more stylish pair, but they are comfortable under a headset and work well in low vis.

For now, I have a pair of stylish $12 drug store sunglasses with grey lenses and excellent UV protection. I personally don't see a huge difference between $12 pairs with good lenses and $100 pairs with good lenses, except the $100 pair may(emphasis on 'may') be a little more durable.

I found that amber lenses work really well. They are also great on cloudy/overcast days keeps things bright.

Hootie,

You are correct, I am currently using the Denali's for my headset. I don't have any problems with my "Minutes" fitting under the headset at all, maybe its the low headband pressure of the Denali's and the gel ear seals. I guess I can say that on my old headset, the sunglasses fit a bit different and weren't as comfortable as they are now. I guess I would also have to recommend the Denali as being a great headset!

I use a set of clip-on's that came with my glasses. They were made by Guess, not exactly sure what model. They fit well under my Lightspeed Twenty 3G's, I can't stand them under my David Clark 13.4's. When I get new glasses I'm going to get some thinner ones so that they fit a little better. I'm also probably going to get some dedicated perscription sunglasses eventually.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

You can get some good general info from this website and from their free mail order catalog. I've gotten both low & high end sunglasses from them and have always been pleased.

Hidalgo's

Hope this helps someone,

JR

I just bought a pair of Fossil sunglasses for $20. They are great, and fit very comfortably under my headset. Just another recommendation.

I have been considering these.Shields Anyone else have any experience with them? I think I am going to break down and order them soon. The lack of good sunglasses is driving me nuts and I hate having normal earpeices under my headset.

I was wondering about those Shields also . . I think I saw them in either Sporty's or King's catalog. I have yet to find anyone who has used them. They look like they would be comfortable.

I had a pair of those shields for about a year and a half. I liked them alot. They were great to use with my ANC headsets, because with other glasses, ones that would keep the ear cup from sealing, the ANC would do strange things. I had the shields until yesterday, when I looked out the window to check a banner, and watched them as they ripped from my head in the slipstream and tumbled to earth.
mad.gif

I've been looking for a good pair of sunglasses for a while and I just ordered a pair based on this article from Private Pilot Magazine (results posted on Oakley's website): http://www.oakley.com/featured/private_pilot/

Thought I would bring this post back to life for those people still searching for a pair of sunglasses.

i m still lookin for sunglasses and was wondering how well those american optical sunglasses with the clear plastic pieces on the temples seal underneath a headset?

thanks

Since we're on the topic of sunglasses here's a funny story I heard from a friend.

A Dash 8 is coming into land at a airport and is on final around dusk.

Dash 8 "Tower confirm approach lighting on"

Tower "yes, they're on"

Dash 8 "Um, can't see them"

Tower "Switching to high intensity"

Dash 8 "nope still can't see them"

Tower ".... confirm Raybans off"

Dash 8 "Tower I see the lights now, could you turn them down a bit please?"

True story aparently.

Well dad's given me his pair of gold Rayban avaitors, so you can call me Mavrick or Goose or whatever you like :p

Back