Best Regional to Work For??

Come fly for us at 9L, then leave and go somewhere else, and your new regional will seem like the best regional to work for. Problem solved.

Horizon has pilots on furlough, and they're in some bizarre campaign with the FAA to fire pilots that videotaped their landings for YouTube. I guess if they fire enough of their pilots there will be some openings - sounds like a great place to work!

If what you say is true, and these pilots were engaged in such behaviors, then they were were not executing their duties and responsibilities during a critical phase of flight, they were flagrantly violating regulations, and were posing a safety hazard to both themselves and other aircraft. What part about the company's actions is "bizarre?" Unless, by "bizarre," you mean "appropriate and warranted."

The whole thing with the FAA/Horizon going after YouTube postings and such, apparently there is atleast one out there that has a Horizon pilot in the footage and is easily identifiable.

I don't know the whole story behind it all (I've been paying as little attention as possible in my finals days), but if you're dumb enough to take a video of a take off/landing, post it and have footage of yourself in it...then you have to take responsibility for your own actions. (Seems here lately there's alot less of that happening...anyone else notice that?)

I just hope the American Chief Pilot that reported another Captain via his cell while taxiing his airplane get the same treatment from the FAA...

The best regional (or major...or LCC...or corporation... or charter company) is the one that hires you.

I agree with those who say you are handcuffing yourself by not moving from KC.

Since college I have made the following moves in pursuit of a career as a pilot (still managed to get married and start a family in the process):

1. Palm Coast, Florida (CFI, CFII, MEI)
2. Bristol, Tennessee (Ramp 66)
3. New Bern, North Carolina (Ramp 66)
4. Johnstown, Pennsylvania (Chautauqua)
5. Fort Wayne, Indiana (Chautauqua)
6. Atlanta, Georgia (AirTran)
7. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (US Airways)
8. Cincinnati, Ohio (Comair)
9. Northwest Arkansas

Knock on wood, this is the longest i've ever worked anywhere without being furloughed or leaving voluntarily...

(throwing salt over shoulder, kissing rabbit foot, rubbing four-leaf clover...)

If you're deadset on staying in Kansas City, you'll have to use that as your starting point. A bad commute can make even the best regional hell on Earth (right JTrain?). Whereas a cake commute can make one of the worse regionals better. I live in base, and while most people wouldn't go to Pinnacle to save their lives, it's not that bad for me. I had the chance to go to XJT, but I would have lost $$$ and days off b/c of the commute.

Kansas City might actually be one of the easiest commutes to do, in my mind. It's smack dab in the middle of the country, there are tons of flights to the east coast and tons of flights to the west coast. There was talk about putting a branded hub there for a while, as you can reach Los Angeles or New York fairly easily from Kansas City, and was certainly within the range of the EMB-145XR's we were using.

I'll put my vote in for Mesaba. (little bias :nana2:)

PS. Came from Colgan so my expectations were put pretty low.

Come fly for us at 9L, then leave and go somewhere else, and your new regional will seem like the best regional to work for. Problem solved.

I thought Colgan was the best?!?! At least that is what they told me at the interview!:nana2:

I thought Colgan was the best?!?! At least that is what they told me at the interview!:nana2:

They told me that too!! Wait a minute, am I to understand that someone from airline management told me something that wasn't true???? SAY IT AINT SO!!! :panic:

I agree with jtrain that KC wouldn't be too bad of a commute due to location. You'll never be more than 2 time zones away!!

I have heard some say that you should NEVER move ANYWHERE for ANY airline as they will furlough / close bases / etc. I would say this is particularly true for regional airlines unless you plan on sticking with one of them for the long haul.

Speaking for someone who commuted ALB-PHX for 1.5 years, it is possible, and you can do it. Living in base really would be awesome though, and has a lot of bearing on my current (and hopefully last - HA!) job search.

Good luck, things will pick up sooner or later. :banghead:

I worked for Horizon for a year and some change as a ground agent and had a blast meeting some so cool pilots. Except for one female captain who has red hair, but that another story. If Horizon does start hiring again that would be my first pick.

Are you aware Republic is opening an MCI base Nov 1st? That's no commute, perfect! (not that they're hiring or even anywhere near it - im on furlough from there right now myself) I think we'll be hiring again though whenever everyone else starts to...

Are you aware Republic is opening an MCI base Nov 1st? That's no commute, perfect! (not that they're hiring or even anywhere near it - im on furlough from there right now myself) I think we'll be hiring again though whenever everyone else starts to...

Wow! That's great! Some love for MCI. Thanks for the good news! :)

Kansas City might actually be one of the easiest commutes to do, in my mind. It's smack dab in the middle of the country, there are tons of flights to the east coast and tons of flights to the west coast. There was talk about putting a branded hub there for a while, as you can reach Los Angeles or New York fairly easily from Kansas City, and was certainly within the range of the EMB-145XR's we were using.

Until a tornado comes through and blows your commute away. :)

Yeah, I knew about the branded hub. Some of the guys I worked with down in MEM when I was at XJT were up there training. They stayed in the same hotel we did, and I ran into them in the hotel restaurant one night. It was a "Hey! What are you doing here?" "I was just about to ask you the same thing!" type moment.

I commuted from MCI to ATL for 4 years with no problems. Usually, between Delta, Air Tran, and Midwest Express there were about 5-8 flights per day. It seemed if one carrier dropped flights, or dropped out altogether, another picked up.
Understand, however, that it may take you a year or so to be able to do this.

I commuted from MCI to ATL for 4 years with no problems. Usually, between Delta, Air Tran, and Midwest Express there were about 5-8 flights per day. It seemed if one carrier dropped flights, or dropped out altogether, another picked up.
Understand, however, that it may take you a year or so to be able to do this.

Also encouraging. Thanks for the info!

I agree with Zap. Whoever hire you is the best regional airline. :)

However, I would not move for the reasons below:

own my house - no mortage(can't even spell the word). :rawk:
Wife family is close by - which wife needs some extra helps

Back