Best Multi-Engine Training Aircraft

I did all of my multiengine training in the PA-44 Seminole. It's a pretty forgiving multi airplane, although pretty boring as well.

I'll have the opportunity to fly a Travel Air in about a week or so for multi/IFR currency, and I'm looking forward to it. Should be more fun than the Seminole or Gutless Duchess.

I did all of my multiengine training in the PA-44 Seminole. It's a pretty forgiving multi airplane, although pretty boring as well.

I'll have the opportunity to fly a Travel Air in about a week or so for multi/IFR currency, and I'm looking forward to it. Should be more fun than the Seminole or Gutless Duchess.
I did the multi in the Travel Air. Probably one of the most gutless airplanes I've flown. It was during the summer so we only got a fraction of the 180 horsepower.

Vmc is for certification, the real world you want to be nowhere near it ;)

Speed is life.
Yar, what I was mainly getting at is that intense positive action is required on a Baron, not so much on a Seminole. Almost non, relatively speaking. I'm a man of extremes, though I'm not sure I'd want to rent a friggen Baron! :)

If you have an A&P and know wtf you're doing, I'd imagine that with fuel prices the way they are and are likely to stay, a Twin Commanche would be worth looking at.

I did the multi in the Travel Air. Probably one of the most gutless airplanes I've flown. It was during the summer so we only got a fraction of the 180 horsepower.

I suppose most multi-engine trainers are gutless, that's probably why they're used as training aircraft. :) Speaking of the Travel Air, was there anything else you didn't like about it outside of the performance issues? I'll be flying a 1958 model, although it's in really good condition for its age.

The PDF copy of the POH/AFM I've been studying is pretty funny; I'm not accustomed to the format of such an old flight manual. It's so old, that the FAA didn't even exist when this thing was printed (was still the CAA at that point).

The Travelair is one of the best performing light twins to hang O-360s off the wings. I can't think of any other twin in it's HP range that has a 6000ft SE service ceiling and will maintain 8000 at gross. It's not a stellar climber on one engine, but it does clean up nice. The gear only takes about 3 seconds to cycle, and the mains have doors to cover them. Not only is it a really nice flying airplane they also cruise at 165-170kts true burning 18gph. I don't think a Seminole or Duchess could do that. Hell, a Partenavia will give those two a run for their money...

Taking off from sea level, even on a warm day we could effectively do a Vmc demo around 4000MSL.

Speaking of the Travel Air, was there anything else you didn't like about it outside of the performance issues? I'll be flying a 1958 model, although it's in really good condition for its age.
Where is this Travelair located that you'll be flying?

The PDF copy of the POH/AFM I've been studying is pretty funny

Yeah, theres not much to it. Where "Standard Altitude" is mentioned just sub in Density Alt. Also, for short field Takeoff the book says to lift off at 70 mph with 20 flaps, redline is 84 mph!

There is a multi-engine supplement put out by Beechcraft (it has a yellow cover) some years later.

images

What about this one?????

That thing is awesome!

I suppose most multi-engine trainers are gutless, that's probably why they're used as training aircraft. :) Speaking of the Travel Air, was there anything else you didn't like about it outside of the performance issues? I'll be flying a 1958 model, although it's in really good condition for its age.

The PDF copy of the POH/AFM I've been studying is pretty funny; I'm not accustomed to the format of such an old flight manual. It's so old, that the FAA didn't even exist when this thing was printed (was still the CAA at that point).

One thing I don't like about the older Beechs: the prop and the throttle levers are in the opposite position compared to everything else I've flown. Look out for the prop lever to be on the left side of the quadrant and the throttle in the middle.

Back