Best Multi-Engine Training Aircraft

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
In you guys' opinion what is the best multi-engine trainer from a flight school's perspective (TBOs, operating cost etc...) and also from a student's perspective (ease of use, costs, etc...).

I have experience in the Tecnam P20006T and the Seneca. I prefer the Seneca but the Tecnam is good as well (for different reasons).

What do you recommend/prefer?

In the end, it's going to end up being whatever the flight school can run the cheapest. Usually, the flight school that can run a multi the cheapest, is going to rent it the cheapest, which is what a student looks for.

Of everything I've flown (BE-76, PA-34, PA-23-250, Tecnam P2006), I'd take the Tecnam.

Be-76.

To me the pa-44 is more "slippery". The 76 flies like its on rails! Its stable, trailing link landing gear, roomy, and it has 2 doors instead of 1!

Whatevers cheapest on the wallet. For actually LEARNING anything, the seminole is a snoozefest IMO.

I'm liking the cri-cri idea! Aerobatic too and the SE characteristics probably BLOOOOWWWW, which is good for learning. :D

Trust me, the first time I saw a cricket, the gears started turning. I'd bet if you bought them off the line instead of being homebuilt you could get the certification to do it (since they wouldn't be experimental.) What a goldmine that would be. #GiveATParunfortheirmoney

Not gonna lie, I thought about buying one for multi-engine time building. Mainly to get a laugh at an interview. "You have 1000 hours in WHAT??????" :bounce:

So I think the cricket was posted as a joke, but is that actually legal? Could you legally log multi PIC in that? Is there a hidden cost like "by the way, the airframe is only certified for 100 hours"?

Trust me, the first time I saw a cricket, the gears started turning. I'd bet if you bought them off the line instead of being homebuilt you could get the certification to do it (since they wouldn't be experimental.) What a goldmine that would be. #GiveATParunfortheirmoney
Whatever happened to the ATP Shiny (single engine light) Jet Program? (DJET?)

So I think the cricket was posted as a joke, but is that actually legal? Could you legally log multi PIC in that? Is there a hidden cost like "by the way, the airframe is only certified for 100 hours"?
You can legally log ME PIC in a cricket. There are about 10 in the US.

I personally trained in the Seneca IV. It was loaded with A/C, turbo's, autopilot, and a HSI. I liked it because it made us manage the airplane as you would in a job and you also had to worry about the engines and cooling them properly. But from a schools stand point that could all be bad as a student could make costly mistakes.

I see a lot of schools using the Seminole and the twin Diamond.

Cheapest is best. You can learn in anything, and the differences between entry-level twins are small enough that any learning differences are far outweighed by cost.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.

Back