Best/Essential Books for IR

JeffMSU

I am looking to start studying for the Instrument written and get some IFR knowledge under my belt before starting the IR. What are some of the best study aids or books that you have found useful for this rating (not only for the written but the IR in general). Gleim and sportys practice tests got me a 98% on my private written so I will probably pick up one of those BUT i am open to people's suggestions. Thanks!

I am looking to start studying for the Instrument written and get some IFR knowledge under my belt before starting the IR. What are some of the best study aids or books that you have found useful for this rating (not only for the written but the IR in general). Gleim and sportys practice tests got me a 98% on my private written so I will probably pick up one of those BUT i am open to people's suggestions. Thanks!

I like the Jeppessen books

but the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge or the Instrument Flying Handbook are also good

I second the Instrument Flying Handbook and would definitely add the Aviation Weather Services book to the list along with the Oral Exam Guide.

EDIT: The FAR/AIM is still my favorite aviation book. My '08 model is coming apart at the binder with the cover loooooooooooooong gone...

I like the Jeppessen books

but the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge or the Instrument Flying Handbook are also good

I have the Jeppessen Instrument/Commercial book and like it.

I bought the Instrument Flying Handbook but didn't get much out of it, mostly because I had known a lot of the information when I bought it.

Like the above, I liked and used the Jepp book (bonus, it has the Commercial info too - it should for the price), the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook (make sure you get the new one, it has both the round gage and glass panel info) and the FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook. Also for good practical background info the Richard Collins "Flying IFR" book is not bad. If you can find someone to give you an old Jepps Airway Manual, there's some great info in the front of that too.

Everything Explained for the Commercial Pilot would be a very good choice, especially if you plan on continuing your aviation education beyond the instrument rating. Even if you don't do that though, highly recommended book.

Rod Machado has an instrument book out. Google his website for a list of his books or CDs.

Rod Machado has an instrument book out. Google his website for a list of his books or CDs.
Machado's book is better after you've gotten your instrument. It's a collection of articles that further clarifies and expounds on different aspects of instrument flying.

Machado's book is better after you've gotten your instrument. It's a collection of articles that further clarifies and expounds on different aspects of instrument flying.

You're talking about the Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual?

That's a full book - not a collection of articles. I've found it extremely helpful in terms of supplementing stuff I'm getting from other sources. He's got a great way of explaining things. It's a hellaciously thick book - lots of good stuff in there.

You're talking about the Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual?

That's a full book - not a collection of articles. I've found it extremely helpful in terms of supplementing stuff I'm getting from other sources. He's got a great way of explaining things. It's a hellaciously thick book - lots of good stuff in there.
Oh, I'm not knocking the book; it's on my shelf. It's just not written as a textbook on instrument flying, it presupposes some level of knowledge already.

Oh, I'm not knocking the book; it's on my shelf. It's just not written as a textbook on instrument flying, it presupposes some level of knowledge already.

Yeah my bedroom is filled with instrument books and other flying books. During my CFI check the FAA told me when you read one book read two others book to make sure that the first book is right. It's fun to read other people experience in IFR conditions, that is why I like the Professional Instrument Course book.

I've got his Instrument Flying Handbook, and I haven't found that to be the case at all. Everything is covered in detail from the beginning.

Another good one, and I've got all the others mentioned so they are good too, is "Fly The Wing" by Jim Webb. It is more related to airline flying, so is more of an after the rating read, but is good regardless.

Yeah my bedroom is filled with instrument books and other flying books. During my CFI check the FAA told me when you read one book read two others book to make sure that the first book is right. It's fun to read other people experience in IFR conditions, that is why I like the Professional Instrument Course book.

I'll second Professional Instrument Course book. It is a great how to fly instruments book.

Instrument Flying Handbook is a must. The Instrument Procedures Manual is useful and has SOME good applicable info. I usually tell my students to get the FAA pubs becuase there's no way a DE can argue your answer if you got it from a FAA pub. The Jeppesen books are ok, but I usually like a little more detail. Oh, and If you can get the CD-ROM version of the Gleim its worth its weight in gold, it beats pretending you don't see the eraser marks in the Gliem books.

Back