Best Aviation Magazine

I've been reading Flying for about 13yrs. Advertising in it has gone a little out of control though! Its not unusual to go through the first 10 pages and not find an actual article. I find the columns by the regular authors very interesting, except for Richard Collins, who seems to be repeating himself alot these days.

The other magazine I like is Flight International Its good for a good idea of whats happening around the globe in aviation on a weekly basis.

We get a pretty poor selection down here in Oz! The local aviation magazines are pretty useless in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
Minus all of the advertisements, Flying isn't too bad. Actually, it's the only one I am subscribed too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flying's overall a good mag, but I lost interest in Flying when Len Morgan's columns disappeared.

Military: Air Forces Monthly, the British publication.

Civil: Air Progress

Private Pilot mag is pretty cool except its kinda pricey for a subscription. but they've got pretty cool articles. i especially liked the one about the OMF Symphony a few months back.

[ QUOTE ]
IFR magazine is an excellent publication....

[/ QUOTE ]

But theres not enough pictures! And the few there are are black and white!
tongue.gif

Just kidding...it is a good one.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IFR magazine is an excellent publication....

[/ QUOTE ]

But theres not enough pictures!

[/ QUOTE ]

But Instrument pilots do not need pictures

While you're in the PPL or early instr. phase, AOPA's Flight Training is a good general refresher.

Otherwise, Flying is decent, but a little too far removed from the flight training world (nearly every plane they profile costs at least $500,000).

I'd like to see a magazine all about the so-called lower rungs of pro pilot life: Pt. 135, smaller cargo ops, flight school news, CFIs, air ambulance, the regionals, etc. Maybe they could call it "Holding."

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see a magazine all about the so-called lower rungs of pro pilot life: Pt. 135, smaller cargo ops, flight school news, CFIs, air ambulance, the regionals, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try PROFESSIONAL PILOT!!!! Great magazine! They always cover a company (135/Cargo/Regional/Corporate) in every issue going into detail about hiring, day to day activities etc. They have an accident analysis section, with greater emphasis on CRM than say Flying magazine would dedicate.

Aviation Week and Space Technology.

Very technically oriented and often has the first scoops on the latest projects.

Just signed up for AOPA, Flying, and Plane & Pilot. If you look on the websites you'll find it's extremely cheap to subscribe to these magazines. My question is how on earth can they charge so little? Wouldn't it cost them more to print and send each magazine than what you pay?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My question is how on earth can they charge so little? Wouldn't it cost them more to print and send each magazine than what you pay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take a stab at that. The more subscribers they have, the more they can charge a business to advertise in their magazine. That is why the subscriptions are so cheap. They also make a good profit from newstands, bookstores, and novelty shops selling their magazine at cover price.

Allow me to answer that question. Most publications make most of their money on advertising. If they break even with their subscriptions, they're happy.

And in order to get more revenue, they want more subs. Just like in aviation, there are certain numbers that make people stand up and take notice. When I was selling advertising, I got into a huge argument with the person who handled the subscription database. I created a media kit that said we had approximately one million subscribers. She said that I was being misleading because we had around 955K, and I'm like, that is approximately one million. It ended up getting kicked upstairs and it was so funny to see two execs getting all pissy over a couple of words in a media kit that was going to be revised in three months anyway!

Back