Best airport to fly into for network JC

Alchemy

What's the verdict here? North Las Vegas, Henderson, or McCarran? I've never been to any of them.

My rental is dry so fuel cost is a major consideration. Suggestions?

Mccarran's closest but it won't be the cheapest.. if you can rent a car (or get someone to pick you up), i've heard that henderson has some pretty good fees..

I'm flying into Henderson for a few reasons...

1) I'm coming up from the South so it precludes me from having to deal with LAS airspace.

2) Not busy.

3) Fuel isn't too bad ('course I haven't been there in a while).

It's the furthest from the strip (I think) but .. eh a cab is a cab is a cab

[ QUOTE ]
Nellis

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we tell them MikeD sent us, if anyone asks any questions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And oh yeah, I figured I'd throw this out there again:

If there's anyone who's interested in splitting 10-12 hrs of baron time with me going from AUS to LAS/VGT/HND and back let me know ASAP!

I'd be willing to wear the hood half the time (heck the whole time if you really want) or give someone instruction during the trip.

I estimate it will cost ~ $1500 total, about $750 split down the middle. You could also bring a friend/spouse with you since we have an extra seat we could fill with no fuel penalty. We'll be flying the plane seen in my avatar.

I've flown into VGT, it's much more GA friendly than McCarran, which has some pretty outrageous ramp/tie-down fees unless you buy more fuel than most GA aircraft can hold. On the other hand, there's a free shuttle from VGT to the hotels, but you have to pay for a cab back to the airport, which will run you in the neighborhood of $45 (the whole town's designed to separate you from your money one way or the other!).

hmmm....that $198 roundtrip america west flight is looking more attractive all the time.

Looks like We'll be flying in to Henderson around 6pm friday evening.

Here's updated 100LL rates:
Henderson: $2.66/gal
N Las Vegas: $2.73/gal

Tie down at Henderson is $5/night

Henderson does have a shuttle but it requires a 24 hour advance reservation and I'm not sure about cost.

John, when are you coming in? If we coordinate we could all split a cab (4 ways).

Hey Al-

I've been threw Vegas about 5 times in the last three weeks,
3 flying over and 2 actually there. Each and everytime thinking I'm glad I don't fly in here GA anymore. Not because I'm a lazy arse but because the ride has been sooo bumpy and T-storms everywhere. You may want to take the safer route by buying that AWA ticket. It's a sure safer bet.

KLAS is terrible for GA traffic, as Aloft said they will hit you with an outrageous ramp fee. KVGT (North Las Vegas) charges $5/night for a single or $6.25 for a twin per night for tiedown, and has a self-serve 100LL pump that was $2.69 today. The only rental car company at VGT is Enterprise, and they are high-around $30/day and up.

The recent bad WX is gone, it's been 95 degrees and clear all week.

Well, I decided to let America West worry about which airport I arrive at, hehehe.

200 bucks roundtrip, tough to beat that.

Actually we're getting a car after all but I'm aiming at being tied down by no later than 10a.m. (maybe even 8).

Back