Beech 1900 Lack of Autopilot Question

Look, the hondo is good because your hand flying in dangerous conditions. You're not programming an autopilot. You're not eating your lunch. You're trying to figure out how much ice you should let build up on the boots before you blow em so they wont bridge. You're trying to avoid hitting mountains on complicated DPs, and handflying approaches to mins in ridiculous crosswinds. It was by far the best, most stable, most comfortable, fun airplane I've ever had the chance to fly. It flies like a little fighter, and can carry whatever you put into it. I've seen it with at least 3" of ice on the leading edge and it flew just fine. I've hit turbulence in it so hard it knocked my headset off and the airplane didn't even flinch. The thing is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the wheel. The best airplane, bar none for flying in ###### wx in mountainous conditions.

Ahh... memories.

Btw, I do agree he was being a dick to you. But the nostalgia of the Hondo' washed over me.

Do I detect a note of sarcasm in your voice? You fly for a company that crams every single possible pound of freight into your bird. There are times when they get it wrong, and you can't really tell until you are taking for ever to hit rotate.

I'm sure you are the best authority on what is safe in aviation and on how to fly. I'm sure you know everything about aviation, and the aviation industry. I bow in deference to your glory. What company are you about to get furloughed from? It is my dream to one day work there so I can be in your shadow. You want to talk about safe and proficient fine, but I haven't heard you add one piece of useful information to these forums, its been cutting down everyone you don't agree with.

Why would someone even say something like that? What possible good could come from that statement? Look, if you want talk about something useful fine, like "why is it that airlines overload their planes?" or something of that nature, then fine, but the "wow, you must be a dumbass" tone in your posts is kinda hard for me to listen to coming from a guy whose whole aviation career has been spent in the right seat at xJet. Not that my career is longer, but really? When was the last time you hand flew an approach? Or were worried that the ERJ wouldn't climb out of icing? Fine, you want to be an ass to me no problem, but I'm done with you.

Not that John needs my help but very little of his career has been spent in a ERJ. He was a CFI and then worked at Ameriflight (check pilot on the chieftain).

Not like those B1900D pansies with their "EFIS" and their "decent air conditioning" and their fancy "PT6's" that didn't need you to spin the prop after landing to cool the shaft. Wussies.

After class, behind the gym, chump! ;) :sarcasm:

Not that John needs my help but very little of his career has been spent in a ERJ. He was a CFI and then worked at Ameriflight (check pilot on the chieftain).

Ok, I stand corrected, that's fine, still, why is the guy a <edit> so frequently?

[modhat]Consider it an early Xmas gift by not issuing an infraction. -DT[/modhat]

Yeah whatever chief. You better just turn around, ding the stew, and enjoy another first class meal. Don't spill anything on your nice clean shirt and double-breasted suit... You would be outclassed down here in the dregs of aviation where the real pilots fly. :sarcasm:

Once a B1900 glass pansy... always a B1900 glass pansy.

:yup::yup:

Flying the J31 was like trying to balance a bowling ball on the end of a baseball bat while shooting the VOR approach to JST in the winter.

Instead of good morning the standard gate-agent greeting was, "What are the restrictions today?"

Not like those B1900D pansies with their "EFIS" and their "decent air conditioning" and their fancy "PT6's" that didn't need you to spin the prop after landing to cool the shaft. Wussies.

We let our women and small children fly the 1900 over here. Real men fly the metro.:sarcasm::)

Ah, yes, the bush leagues with your metros and whatnot. Men who actually have two testicles fly MU-2s. Slant Alpha. Beeyotch.

This is where someone jumps in and explains that they're flying the space shuttle full of car parts to Mars, VFR.

Well I'll give the fact that the MU-2 is a tad bit more manly than the 1900!

Ah, yes, the bush leagues with your metros and whatnot. Men who actually have two testicles fly MU-2s. Slant Alpha. Beeyotch.

This is where someone jumps in and explains that they're flying the space shuttle full of car parts to Mars, VFR.

If you'll excuse me, I have some shuttle landings to catch up on. 3 every 90 just in case they call me up on Reserve.

Well I'll give the fact that the MU-2 is a tad bit more manly than the 1900!

Come on. Let's all be friends here. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by ascribing one lonely testicle to your miserable GPS-having frame.

Just kidding. I've never really understood why the MU-2 gets so much press for being uber-tough (or, more often, uber-stupid and -shortlived) while single-pilot metro guys just get "yeah, so what". The wingloading is pretty similar, your's just carries more and has more horsepower. I guess it's just that manly musk that goes with flying a Mitsubishi. I can't help being a rockstar baby. Women want me, men want to be me. :D:rolleyes:

Come on. Let's all be friends here. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by ascribing one lonely testicle to your miserable GPS-having frame.

What's this GPS you speak of??? :) We're both probably in the same boat. It's all good when things go right. When things go wrong though...whoa nelly!

Back