Beaver Restoration

I know... I know. I live in a place where it would be very difficult to have one on straight floats, but some incredible float destinations are also close. I'm not 100% on that but I think it would be best. That being said, RE the ADs and such, I've been talked into a viking upgross kit which apparently is also easier to deal with right now while things are apart.
Why the Viking upgross over the Wip one?

Why the Viking upgross over the Wip one?

Well for one I already have the STC paperwork for this airplane. But otherwise they're the same weight increase. I haven't looked at required structural mods yet for either. Also whether either is more or less compatible with other STCs.

Well for one I already have the STC paperwork for this airplane. But otherwise they're the same weight increase. I haven't looked at required structural mods yet for either. Also whether either is more or less compatible with other STCs.
That makes sense. It seems to me that we went with the Wip kit because we were on a timeline and there was a long lead for parts from Viking.

That makes sense. It seems to me that we went with the Wip kit because we were on a timeline and there was a long lead for parts from Viking.

Yeah and Viking prices are out of control. I likely wouldn't get anything else from them other than this since I already have it. Lots of parts available elsewhere. Totally unrelated and I'm not interested, just curious... do you have any idea what Viking was charging to do turbine conversions? Don't think they really are anymore but they did quite a few. Interesting conversion because they used DH jigs to turn it into a factory turbo beaver vs all the other conversions strap a new engine on the front and make other minor changes.

Yeah and Viking prices are out of control. I likely wouldn't get anything else from them other than this since I already have it. Lots of parts available elsewhere. Totally unrelated and I'm not interested, just curious... do you have any idea what Viking was charging to do turbine conversions? Don't think they really are anymore but they did quite a few. Interesting conversion because they used DH jigs to turn it into a factory turbo beaver vs all the other conversions strap a new engine on the front and make other minor changes.
No idea. Aaron probably knows.

@Dan208B, A friend of mine had Kenmore do a total “frame off” restoration on his -2 with Wip amphibs. Through that process I was able to get a decent education on them but not an expert. It wasn’t cheap but they were able to implement tons of STCs during the restoration. The finished product was perfect and flies wonderfully.

Let me know if I can help at all.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

@Dan208B, A friend of mine had Kenmore do a total “frame off” restoration on his -2 with Wip amphibs. Through that process I was able to get a decent education on them but not an expert. It wasn’t cheap but they were able to implement tons of STCs during the restoration. The finished product was perfect and flies wonderfully.

Great! Sure would like to talk at some point if you're willing. Curious about the experience with Kenmore and what STC's he chose, etc.

Great! Sure would like to talk at some point if you're willing. Curious about the experience with Kenmore and what STC's he chose, etc.

Sure, I don’t mind. The easy answer is “all of them” but I can get you an exact list of STCs, it is quite comprehensive. Avionics, GW increase, tip tanks, extended baggage, WAAS & ADS-B - yeah he can shoot a coupled LPV approach in it.

Shoot me a PM and I’ll get you a list and we can discuss it more.

“Give me your best forward speed.”

“We’re already doing it.”

“Cancel approach clearance, right turn, delay vectors for sequencing.”
If he's shooting an LPV, it's likely he's not even radar contact. He can take all the time he wants.

yeah he can shoot a coupled LPV approach in it.
That....just doesn’t seem right.

“Give me your best forward speed.”

“We’re already doing it.”

“Cancel approach clearance, right turn, delay vectors for sequencing.”
I too flew IFR in and out of RHV.

Back at the old job I used to make people do at least one approach flown at 160 kts in the 206 in training because we got "max forward speed... Or else!" so often.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I too flew IFR in and out of RHV.

Back at the old job I used to make people do at least one approach flown at 160 kts in the 206 in training because we got "max forward speed... Or else!" so often.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

120 knot approaches in a C-172 are good fun. On a checkride for the first time ever, not so much

Back