Bay Bridge Airport (W29)

Joe

I apparently posted video from this flight a while ago, but not the photos:

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge, as seen from a left base to RWY 11 at W29. Annapolis is 5 miles to the west, on the other side of the bay.

N4624V, a 1980 Cessna 172RG Cutlass RG, parked in front of the FBO at W29. I used this plane for much of my commercial and CFI training.

A Cessna 172 taxiing out to RWY 11 at W29 with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in the background.

Climbing past the Chester River, which feeds into the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, while returning to PVD from W29.

Complex aircraft often have a mirror to visually verify the status of the landing gear. This was taken at 7,500 feet somewhere over New Jersey.

Flying directly over JFK at 7,500 feet while returning to PVD. Several jets are in line for RWY 13R, with one holding in position ready for departure.

Such a cool little airport. I flew a charter into there once. My college buddy from Severna Park met me and took me to lunch over in Kent Narrows. I'd love to get back up there some day.

I used to instruct out of that airport. Lots of fun! Except now they have a large flight school with LSAs. Nothing like trying to do pattern work when they're doing 65 on downwind.

I also used to instruct out of W29, for "Baybridge Proflight", a scam run by a charlatan if ever there was one. Beautiful views, though. Go visit KANP if you get the chance, good food right off the property...can't remember the name, but a pizza place. The sandwich shop just down from W29 wasn't bad either.

There used to be a mitsi painted all black with a playboy bunny on the tail that would would flathat in there and back in to his parking spot. Pretty much screwed me for life with a desire to fly the mits. Is that guy still around?

I also used to instruct out of W29, for "Baybridge Proflight", a scam run by a charlatan if ever there was one. Beautiful views, though. Go visit KANP if you get the chance, good food right off the property...can't remember the name, but a pizza place. The sandwich shop just down from W29 wasn't bad either.

There used to be a mitsi painted all black with a playboy bunny on the tail that would would flathat in there and back in to his parking spot. Pretty much screwed me for life with a desire to fly the mits. Is that guy still around?

I worked there for Capitol Air which was kicked out for not paying its fuel bill (retreated to their main airport of KFME). Then I was hired by Chesapeake Proflight (same company, much better owner). I did see the black Mits there a couple times. Pretty sexy airplane.

I miss that airport! Best little gas station next door to get a bite to eat. Brings back memories! Thanks-JM

Great pics. I used to fly into W29 a long time ago out of Andrews AFB when we had a flying club. Do they still have the phone that direct dials to the little bed and breakfast place? They used to send the mercedes over to pick you up for dinner. At least back in the mid to late 90's

Awesome pics!!! I've driven over that bridge a million times headed to Dewey Beach and I've sailed under it a couple times, but haven't had a chance to fly there yet, thanks for the pix!

Back