bad tubes

Douglas

Old School KSUX
There seems to be a rash of flat tires locally in company and non-company planes.

Somebody said it has been going around.
Anybody else seen an "up" in tubes deflating lately .

Listen... it's okay if you miss the first taxiway off the runway! There are many more taxiways to get off at and there is no shame in using the full available runway for your landing roll. Blaming the quality of rubber being used by a particular company is no excuse for an eagerness to exit the runway. Don't worry, I have to tell my students this exact same thing just about every three lesson.
:tmyk:

Last year this time it happened alot. Maintenance told me it was because of the temperature change causing a decrease in air pressure in the tires. When the pressure is low on touch down the tire spins up but because of the low air pressure the tube doesnt speed up as fast and the valve stems get damaged resulting in a flat. I'm no mechanic but it sounds about right.

Listen... it's okay if you miss the first taxiway off the runway! There are many more taxiways to get off at and there is no shame in using the full available runway for your landing roll.

I wish I would have known that before leaving a big skid mark on the runway:)

Listen... it's okay if you miss the first taxiway off the runway! There are many more taxiways to get off at and there is no shame in using the full available runway for your landing roll. Blaming the quality of rubber being used by a particular company is no excuse for an eagerness to exit the runway.

It is not okay, I always make the first taxiway, and by first taxiway I mean the one by the numbers, boo-yah sean, boo-yah. ;)

Last year this time it happened alot. Maintenance told me it was because of the temperature change causing a decrease in air pressure in the tires. When the pressure is low on touch down the tire spins up but because of the low air pressure the tube doesnt speed up as fast and the valve stems get damaged resulting in a flat. I'm no mechanic but it sounds about right.

Well that seems logical to me. Thanks.

It is not okay, I always make the first taxiway, and by first taxiway I mean the one by the numbers, boo-yah sean, boo-yah. ;)

Well that seems logical to me. Thanks.

Haha Ya so does your student...he makes the first taxiway by landing 100 feet short locked on the breaks and skidding to a stop but damnit he makes the first one!

There seems to be a rash of flat tires locally in company and non-company planes.

Somebody said it has been going around.
Anybody else seen an "up" in tubes deflating lately .
i think up until about 3 months ago, UND was replacing at least 2 a day due to flats for 3 months straight.

they said we got a shipment of bad/defective tubes and they didn't know which airplanes had them and which didn't and that it would have to "work itself out of the system".......

i had never had a flat tire in my life in a UND airplane (well over 1000 flights!) and in a 7 day period i had two 3 months ago!

My flight school has had issues with tires just going flat over night recently. The line crew at the FBO must be sabotaging them!

Yep... a lot of flats down here too lately. I don't think it's caused by excessive braking, because they are going flat at wierd times, like taxi, sitting in the runup, turning into the ramp, etc.

Yep... a lot of flats down here too lately. I don't think it's caused by excessive braking, because they are going flat at wierd times, like taxi, sitting in the runup, turning into the ramp, etc.

What aircraft? Diamonds have an issue that if you turn the thing on a dime it will cut the valve stem off and will cause a flat.

If this was 6 months ago, I could have agreed with you. Winter to summer, temps increase. Higher temp in a confined volume = higher pressures. Now if there is a high pressure issue, I could see the temps causing the problem.

If this was 6 months ago, I could have agreed with you. Winter to summer, temps increase. Higher temp in a confined volume = higher pressures. Now if there is a high pressure issue, I could see the temps causing the problem.

good point. I wonder if its the seasonal change and the dramatic swing in temps between night and day causing the slow loss of air pressure in the tubes....if that makes any sense? I know whenever there's a season change I have to check the pressure in my truck....but then again my truck is a POS.

Back