Back up careers for pilots?

I'd own my own fly in resort. My wife and I will probably end up doing this regardless of how the flying career goes.

[ QUOTE ]
HOT DOG STAND

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew a guy once that ran a hot dog cart in Portland Maine (more than 10 years ago). I think he went for a mix of traditional dogs and some alternative stuff that fit into Maine. Anyway he did it for about 8 months a year and cleared around 40K. Not bad at all. (He also made a really cool cart from scratch).

Guess I could go back to being a paralegal (which is what I do now) - God forbid.

There's always landscaping.
laugh.gif

I suppose if I lost my medical I would also try to do something with the NTSB... having a minor in Aviation Safety is helpful that way. I would probably have to spend more money getting a masters, but being an investigator could be alright.

Everything else I know how to do is so far from flying that I would probably have to go back to school to do it anyway. Of course my current school loans have got me so far in debt I might be stuck working at frickin Linens N Things for the rest of my life!
frown.gif

Lets just pray that none of us have to resort to our alternatives!

Marilyn

I'm thinking of majoring in Geography, and if for some reason I was unable to become an Airline pilot due to medical reasons or what not, then I would want to do something working with the organizational side of the Olympics- probably part of a bid evaluation team that goes out and evaluates a city that is interested in hosting the Olympics! If I couldn't do that, i'd still like to do something in Geography.

The only way this wont work out for me is if I die or lose my medical. If I die, then I prefer the puffy clouds versus intense heat scenario, and if I lose my medical I will probably appeal it and if that doesnt work then I will go back to the pharmaceutical research thing...

[ QUOTE ]
The only way this wont work out for me is if I die or lose my medical. If I die, then I prefer the puffy clouds versus intense heat scenario, and if I lose my medical I will probably appeal it and if that doesnt work then I will go back to the pharmaceutical research thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

If it happens to Doug and me, we'll just keep flying.....in the land where medicals and licenses aren't really necessary, and are considered a "bureaucratic burden".

I've already made up my mind some time ago, when I chose my major in college... History, such a fun subject, love it
smile.gif
. If flying didn't work out, I'd love to become a high school History teacher. I'm also having serious thoughts about majoring in Atmospheric Science, or Meteorology, and become a "weather man" for a local news station, or the Weathr Channel, but I'm not that great in sciences, though really love the weather stuff, so... but thats years away.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also having serious thoughts about majoring in Atmospheric Science, or Meteorology, and become a "weather man" for a local news station, or the Weathr Channel, but I'm not that great in sciences, though really love the weather stuff, so... but thats years away.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Ughh.

Don't say that until you've actually taken a few in-depth meteorology courses. I used to think it can't be as boring as it seems. Turns out it's far more boring than I ever could have imagined. <insert sleeping smiley>

I'm taking the Law School Admission Test in June, so my backup is going to be law I guess. My political science major is useless as it stands, so I'll add my degree in law as a fallback. Gotta have something to pay the bills if I can't make it to the airlines.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
Ughh.

Don't say that until you've actually taken a few in-depth meteorology courses. I used to think it can't be as boring as it seems. Turns out it's far more boring than I ever could have imagined. <insert sleeping smiley>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I'm not you. I might actually like it.
smile.gif

Back