Back from Air Force Basic Training!

Kato

Hey all, Just wanted to drop a line and say what a relief it is to be back in the real world! I've spent the last 6.5 weeks at Lackland AFB in San Antonio Texas for BMT. For all those that dont know, AF basic training is not too tough, just a constant headache. Anyway, I don't go to loadmaster school for another couple of months, so I get to enjoy some home cooked meals and waste time on this site for a while!
grin.gif

Take care everybody,

Kato

[ QUOTE ]
so I get to enjoy some home cooked meals and waste time on this site for a while!

[/ QUOTE ]
mad.gif

Doug is not going to be happy with that statement. I would hope that you were being sarcastic, but if you cannot learn something from this site, something must be wrong. If one finds it a waste, then why stop and look.

Anyway, enjoy those homecooked meals.

fly4free,

Relax bud, I was being sarcastic. You are right, this is a wonderful site with a lot of valuable information.

viper548,

I will be on the C-130 down at Channel Islands. How long have you been a load?

4 years. It's one of the best enlisted jobs. Even as an airman people listen to what you say. Not many jobs get that kind of respect. Trips are awesome. The more countries you go to, the more you will realize how awesome this country is. C-130's a good plane. It must be nice to be able to load the plane from one K-loader. It takes 6 to load the c-5 full of pallets.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so I get to enjoy some home cooked meals and waste time on this site for a while!

[/ QUOTE ]
mad.gif

Doug is not going to be happy with that statement. I would hope that you were being sarcastic, but if you cannot learn something from this site, something must be wrong. If one finds it a waste, then why stop and look.

Anyway, enjoy those homecooked meals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh man! fly4free, don't forget to mention that you are a dork.

Congrats Kato! I was supposed to leave this wednesday for lackland but I will be having surgury instead to reattach the ulner nerve in my left elbow. Yeah the dates people weren't too happy that I waited 3 months to get looked at because I hate going to the doctor. How much sleep did you average a night?

And viper do you still have all your fingers? how about the guys in your unit? That might just be some made up bs that gets thrown out there (loads losing fingers) but I was wondering if that is true? Also could you tell me what a flying crew chiefs duties are during flight (if any)?

[/ QUOTE ]
How much sleep did you average a night?

[/ QUOTE ]

"lights out" was scheduled for 2100 during the week and 2200 for the weekend, and we were supposed to wake up every morning at 0430. Seems like we normally woke up at 0400 unless of course we had details like "kp duty" - then we were up at 0230! We managed to lose sleep almost every other night but you will never EVER make it up. It's not that bad, you will become fully adjusted to the schedule after the first week. Any Idea on when you leave now?

Hootie,

As for the flying crew chief question, they have no inflight duties (except for sleeping), on the KC-10 and KC-135. There are a few that are certified to be passenger handlers, but it's like being an underqualified flight attendant.

Loads losing fingers? I haven't heard of any. They make us take off all rings and jewlery before going on the plane. I hear that once a guy fell, the ring got caught on something and ripped the finger off. I dont know of any loads getting hurt since I came in. I hear it's the crew chiefs that die on the jets. A C-5 at dover is supposedly haunted by a crew chief that died on the plane (don't know how). There are many stories of strange stuff happening in that plane such as an APU starting itself. A guy died in a fuel tank he was fixing. They are supposed to go in pairs, he went by himself, got knocked out by the fumes. The found the body after he clogged a fuel line in flight. A guy fell down the stairs and died, on the C5 that's about 15 feet. I hit my head on a piece of cargo and had to get 2 medical staples. BE CAREFUL ON THE PLANE!!

I love how military people make up all sorts of crazy bullsh1t about other jets and jobs. I was under the impression that loads are half crazy with all sorts of missing extremities. Like caged freaks that are locked up permanently in the back of a cargo jet. I think I would have really liked to be a load or a boom but those type units are an extra 3 hours over my 2 hour (not bad at all) viper commute. But I like the crew chiefs and we have awesome 1992-93 block 42 vipers that we have owned since birth and I love the unit. But you are right about crew chiefs getting killed. I was out around the jet last drill and they were showing me how to change a tire and they were saying how it can kill you if you aren't careful. I wasn't too sure I believed them so they take me inside and go to some dod network webpage on how to kill yourself around the jet and sure enough , graphic pics of some dude split in half by a tire rim coming off like a sidewinder. crazy.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man! fly4free, don't forget to mention that you are a dork.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone is showing there age... What are you 17 or 18?. I used to hear that in high school.

Well excuse me ! I am not the one that made the comment about wasting time. Like I said, I would hope that you are being sarcastic. but one would not know without leaving some sarcastic tags. Like I said the first time, if you feel like you are wasting time, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Congrats on finishing basic.
Have fun at the 'Rock, I know quite a few of the guys at the School House. One of the IL's was at the Island's Guard for a while. Enjoy your time flying on the E's at school, you'll enjoy those J's a little better!

Praise The Load!

I live 20 minutes south from Channel Islands...I know someone that is a Loader with them that came from moorpark. His name is Brett.

Thanks Herkyload1, I heard that tech school should be a good time. Although I am pretty excited to get all the training over with and to get out into the operation. It will probably be some time until I get to fly on the 'J' ( being the new guy and all) - it also doesn't help that we will be in transition from the 'E' to 'J' until at least 2008.
How's the life of a loadmaster treating you?

CaptainMatt,

I might know who that is - I am not yet on a "first name" basis with all the guys there. Soon though. He is not in Iraq is he?

Not sure...He went to basic training last december and then headed to tech school after that...I have no Idea where he is...The last I heard from him was last Dec.

Hey Kato, what squadron were you in for BMT? I was in 331st, 24 Jul 02- 09 Sep 02. You going to Sheppard for your tech school?

Avi8er10, I was in the 322nd - 09sep03- 27oct03. I will be going to Little Rock Ark. for tech school. How have you enjoyed the Air Force? What's your job?

Back